Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook won't sleep

MacBook won't sleep
dreamsINdigital
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2007, 08:57 PM

I have a MacBook, and lately it hasn't been going to sleep on its own when idle. It will just sit there and drain the battery until it's out. I have the energy settings set to normal when running on battery (sleep after 10 minutes of inactivity).

I usually have these things connected to the MacBook: an external monitor, USB hub built into monitor (has external hard drive connected, but not usually on), Logitech mouse, speakers. I've tried using the MacBook without anything connected, but it still won't sleep.

I don't think any programs are keeping it from sleeping, usually just Firefox, Mail, and Adium running.

I thought it could possibly be the updated Logitech mouse driver that I installed, but I uninstalled the preferencepane using AppZapper and removed all instances of "Logitech" using Spotlight, but the computer still isn't sleeping.

Any ideas, similar problems, or suggestions?

Thanks

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Sep 3, 2007, 09:06 PM

Try shutting down all the programs and see if it sleeps. If it does, start them up one at a time and see if the problem returns.

I had the same problem once, but can't remember what caused it.

dreamsINdigital  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2007, 09:22 PM

Even with no programs running, it still won't sleep.

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Sep 4, 2007, 08:55 AM

The ideas that come to mind...

Are you running Symantec Antivirus? I had issues with it (yes, yes, I know...no viruses on Macs, university requirement, blah blah blah...) on my campus network where it wouldn't sleep, but would sleep at home.

In the power preferences, do you have the computer set to sleep after 10 minutes or just the screen?

Try it with the Airport turned off and no apps running and nothing plugged in. If your mouse is Bluetooth, check that the Bluetooth devices can't wake the computer from sleep.

Make sure that in the network preferences you have "wake on LAN" turned off.

If that doesn't work, create a new user and see if the problem follows.

Forum Links
Forum Rules