Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Leopard on a 733 Mhz PowerPC G4

Leopard on a 733 Mhz PowerPC G4
Nassifer
Forum Regular
Jan 17, 2008, 08:02 PM

Hello there, new here and new to Mac as well, I am so HAPPY, I have a question, I just got a 733 Mhz PowerPC G4 with 768 mem, 60gig HDD, and want to know if it will run leopard, I am running OS X 10.4.11 now and want the new operating system.

Thanks

Abdulah

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2008, 08:21 PM

The good news is welcome to 'nn.
The bad news is nope, and you are just under the minimum. You need at least a 867 MHz processor.

Cold Warrior
Jan 17, 2008, 08:25 PM

Here's a utility to help one install Leopard on unsupported Macs:
LeopardAssist 1.2 DR3 - MacUpdate

Nassifer  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 17, 2008, 08:36 PM

Thank you for your info, I just got the Mac and like I said the guy that sold it to me said that he will install Leopard for me.

Thanks, and I hope to be here more and more, for I have more and more question I am sure.

Abdulah

carterx
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 18, 2008, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Here's a utility to help one install Leopard on unsupported Macs:
LeopardAssist 1.2 DR3 - MacUpdate
Will have to give this ago myself.... cool app.
As for on a 733 though.... I had it installed on my 1.25ghz with 2GB ram and I myself found Leopard to be slower than Tiger. Was huge, but found it a tad sluggish in areas.... just keep my 1.25 with Tiger for now.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 18, 2008, 05:54 PM

I am running Leopard on a G4 450 Cube. Slow, but OK for most surfing and email, and basic office type stuff. However, I was using it with a Radeon 9200 (and now a GeForce 6200).

I'm sure it'd run like total crap with the stock Rage GPU.

Assuming your GPU doesn't totally suck, it will run just fine on your G4 733.

DrBoar
Senior User
Jan 21, 2008, 05:58 AM

Eug!
Do you notice any speedup with the 6200?
I have ATI 8500 (Quite similar to the 9000-9200) in a 1.2 GHz G4 and I am thinking about getting a 6200 If Apple work out the worst downgrades in 10. 5 compared to 10.4....

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2008, 02:06 PM

No real difference between the 9200 and the 6200 for the stuff I do on the Cube, which is just surfing, email, LogMeIn, and other basic office stuff.

Well, it makes a difference for Keynote, since the 9200 doesn't support some of the transitions, but I don't generally use the fancy schmancy Core Image transitions anyway.

P.S. Most versions of the 6200 firmware out there don't play nice with Leopard. It works fine... but there is a super long bootup time. It seems Leopard has to wait for the temp sensors to activate, and that can take minutes, adding minutes to your bootup time.

The only ways around it is to remove one of the OS X system files that controls this, or reflash your 6200 to turn off temperature monitoring. I've done the latter.

carterx
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2008, 02:10 PM

The same process can be found here if wanting to do it without the application Faking Out the Leopard Installer with Open Firmware
I was hoping to see if I could trick a G3, but no such luck

Forum Links
Forum Rules