Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Sawtooth and a funny noise

Sawtooth and a funny noise
Rumor
Mar 26, 2008, 11:26 PM

It sounds really loud, like something is perhaps vibrating. It recently started but I turned off the G4 and it went away. Until a couple of days ago, now it starts not too long after booting.

I opened the case and decided to wait for it to start, as it sounds like it may be coming from the fan or perhaps power supply (though I have never heard of a power supply making funny sounds). Oddly enough, if I blow on the area with the fan and power supply, the noise starts up.

So if it is the fan, where can I get a replacement?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

idykenano
Forum Regular
Mar 27, 2008, 08:53 AM

My guesstimate would be that the fan is coming loose a bit, and when it runs it is going off kilter and shaking the case, etc.

DrBoar
Senior User
Mar 27, 2008, 10:23 AM

If it is the big 120mm fan for the case the easy way is to replace it with a quiter fan that is running of a 12V tap (the same kind of connector as hard disks) Other fans are more diffcult to replace. Try booting with the fan blocked with a pen or finger. The computer can run safely for a while without a fan. The small fan on the graphic card can make an awfull high pitched sound, the big 120mm fan is more of a midrange rattle.

But the first thing is to find out what the offending part is.

Forum Links
Forum Rules