Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Cricket Graph or equivalent?

Cricket Graph or equivalent?
foamy
Senior User
Mar 18, 2002, 01:10 AM

The title says it all.

I need an OSX graphing program for OSX. I tried ProFit but didn't really like it much.

Is there any hope for Cricket or DeltaGraph?

smeger
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2002, 03:31 AM

I've been using Octave. It's a clone of Matlab and it works pretty well, but it's a serious pain in the ass to install. If you're interested, you have to
  • Get and install fink
  • Install XFree86 using Fink (see fink's web page for details)
  • Install Tex (see TexShop on versiontracker)
  • Compile and install Octave

A serious pain in the ass...
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 18, 2002, 03:48 PM

Originally posted by foamy:
<STRONG>The title says it all.

I need an OSX graphing program for OSX. I tried ProFit but didn't really like it much.

Is there any hope for Cricket or DeltaGraph?</STRONG>
Cricket? I remember using Cricket Draw... Thats old stuff....
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

surfacto
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 19, 2002, 12:04 PM

I use Igor Pro from Wavemetrics. Haven't upgraded to the X version yet, but according to the website it's about the same as the classic, which is great.

Neo.cmg
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 19, 2002, 12:56 PM

Woohoo!! 100 posts. Anyway, I use gnuplot. It works natively under OS X, is free, and also allows you to plot from data files. It also provides a lot of customization for graphs. Hope this helps.

Neo.cmg

Richard Harrison
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2002, 01:22 PM

I use the carbon version of Igor Pro (www.wavemetrics.com) and it is indeed just like the classic version (in other words quite possibly the best piece of software for data analysis and plotting ever written). I can't recommend Igor highly enough. Check out their demo. It takes a little longer to learn than other programs, but the effort is worth it. I use it for everything from basic plotting to complex data analysis, curve fitting, and programming (it has a very powerful c-like programming language). Beats the pants off Origin, Cricket Graph, Kaleidoscope, Excell and the rest.

Cheers Rich

[ 03-19-2002: Message edited by: Richard Harrison ]
What? There's an on switch on the printer?

smeger
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2002, 01:41 PM

Octave uses gnuplot for its plotting, btw. Very nice...
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

foamy  (op)
Senior User
Mar 19, 2002, 04:02 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm testing out Igor and gnuplot now...both I can tell are far more powerful than what I need, but since CricketX will probably never see the light of day I've gotta find something.

xdck
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2002, 06:34 PM

If you, like me, just need simple graphs (not very deep in the science dept. but highly customizable from a graphic viewpoint) can try Illustrator or Excel.

Illustrator has an interesting tool that allow to make graphics and change their apparence, then retain those changes for new graphics. It's a bit troublesome, but works in the end.

While I'm not a M$ lover, must admit that Excel for X does a nice job in rendering graphics, and a lot more than Illustrator when it's up to customize axis names, labels and the like.

By the way, My copy of Deltagraph works with Classic...
//cblue.org

mxbonnell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2012, 12:46 PM

I heard the original developer of Cricket Graph is coming out with a new program in the next couple months. Anybody heard the same. I got the information, limited as it was, from someone writing a review on the beta version. The comments were overheard at a coffee shop in Durango CO of which I was not part of. When queried for the software title he shut down stating it was not public knowledge. Anybody out there able to confirm this program is in the works? I need something that is user friendly and will open my cricket graphs. All I could find out about the old Cricket Graph was that it was acquired by Computer Associates and died with them.

DrBoar
Senior User
Nov 22, 2012, 07:59 AM

Cricket Graph was one thing I loved on the mac, Hellcats over the pacific was the other.

Kaleida Graph is really good and quite close in scope to what CG was. Prism is an other favorite but that is more of a statistical program with graphics for bioscientists, I had Deltagraph a long time ago and as I reacall is was more buissness graphics than scientific/engineering graphing.

I did the mistake of buying Cricket Graph for Windows, that is the worst program I ever spent money on.

If you want to try out freeware/donorware Plot seem to be good

Forum Links
Forum Rules