Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Apple Watch helps save teen's life, alerts him of abnormal heart rate

Apple Watch helps save teen's life, alerts him of abnormal heart rate
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Sep 22, 2015, 01:51 PM

Although Apple has emphasized the functionality of the M8 motion co-processor found in the iPhone and the sensors embedded in the Apple Watch as inspiring and useful in helping users maintain or improve their health and fitness, the device can also -- literally -- save lives. For evidence, ask 17-year-old Paul Houle Jr., a football player who discovered an abnormally high heart rate after practice, and ended up at the hospital with heart, liver, and kidney failure.

The player would have ">certainly died without medical attention, and credited the Apple Watch's heart rate sensor with convincing him that something was seriously wrong. Two hours after his usual practice, he found a continuing pain in his chest caused by deep breaths, and even after a short nap, his heart rate was still at 145 (normal inactive heart rate is between 60 and 80 beats per minute). He summoned medical assistance, and by the time he arrived at the hospital, he was found to have the multiple organ failure.

Houle was diagnosed with rhabdomyolysis, a condition that can be aggravated by intense exercise, and can cause kidney failure due to the leaking of enzymes and proteins from the muscle cells into the blood. The condition has been associated with the sudden deaths of many athletes, who often are unaware of the problem and just attribute their sudden tiredness to the intensity of the workout. "If my Apple Watch hadn't shown me [my heart rate] was 145, I would have done nothing about it," said Houle, who suffered the attack late last week and has since been treated and is expected to fully recover.

The story reached Apple CEO Tim Cook, who called Houle after the ordeal. Cook spoke with the Cape Cod teenager, who attends Tabor Academy, and offered him both a summer internship with the company next year, as well as a new Apple iPhone. Houle, whose football days are likely behind him as a result of the condition, had gotten the Apple Watch despite the skepticism of its value by his father -- who has since changed his tune in light of the events, and bought Apple Watches for himself and his wife.

( Last edited by NewsPoster; Sep 22, 2015 at 07:18 PM. )

DavidO
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2015, 11:58 AM

Not to downplay the wonderful news that the Apple Watch saved someone's life, but...your reporting may be misleading. Did the watch really "alert" him to the problem? I don't see any proof of this. That would be a great feature, if anyone is reading this, to implement.

I think what happened was that he was alert and intelligent enough to check it himself and saw that the heart rate was staying high. Now, for the watch to be useful in saving lives, it SHOULD be able to give alerts that something may be wrong.

Forum Links
Forum Rules