Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PC user anonymous question.

PC user anonymous question.
skalie
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2002, 05:18 AM

I bought an ibook and it's the first time I've used a Mac.

Takes a little getting used to, but then I remind myself that it took a couple of years to become somewhat literate on the windows platform.

My question, does anyone know where there is a forum designed for ex-pc users who are crossing over? or a resource of a similar nature.

I ask this because I have a myriad of dumbass questions, along the lines of "where is the delete button?", sort of thing that you can't really define well enough to get a result from the search engine here, but could probably be answered in a second by long time Mac users.

Any links?

warpmoon
Forum Regular
Mar 31, 2002, 07:05 AM

Well, I'm sure the people here don't mind answering any questions you have.

btw, "Move to Trash" => command+backspace

skalie  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2002, 09:17 AM

Actually I was looking for the button to do what the combination of "fn" and "backspace" does while using "simpletext", i.e. deleting the word in front of the flashing mouse thingy instead of the one behind.

On a windows keyboard there is a delete button, but your post inspired me to find the solution. (I forget about keyboard combinations sometimes) Cheers.

Now if only someone could explain to me how to get the F5, F6 and F8 buttons to do their job when using Flash.

Qhris
Mar 31, 2002, 10:36 AM

Welcome! I don't know of any forums for folks crossing over but, I do know of a book by Adam Engst you may want to check out. It came in handy for me when I was FORCED to use a PEECEE at a new job. You may also want to check Mac-Windows .com. For more references.

Q
There's time enough, but none to spare.

Chemmy
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 31, 2002, 12:32 PM

Originally posted by skalie:
<STRONG>Now if only someone could explain to me how to get the F5, F6 and F8 buttons to do their job when using Flash.</STRONG>
Fn + num luck doesn't equal F6? I don't know, I never use them. Try holding the Fn key and hitting the F button you want.

Edit: I just switched from a PC to a Mac in November, and things are going smoothly here. In fact I'm now more comfortable in OS X than Windows.

[ 03-31-2002: Message edited by: Chemmy ]

1.25ghz 15" PowerBook

RedStar
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2002, 12:26 AM

hey quick question from a PC convert...I don't have a fn key. My powermac keyboard isn't the full size one. So how do I delete a character in front of the cursor?

skalie  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2002, 06:06 AM

Originally posted by Qhris:
<STRONG>Welcome! I don't know of any forums for folks crossing over but, I do know of a book by Adam Engst you may want to check out.
</STRONG>
Thanks for the link, any book published by O'Reilly seems to be worth it's weight in gold, it's probably exactly what I need.

[ 04-01-2002: Message edited by: skalie ]

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2002, 07:00 AM

Never mind that doesn't work :'(

[ 04-01-2002: Message edited by: Mac Zealot ]
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

heinzkunz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 1, 2002, 08:14 AM

Originally posted by RedStar:
<STRONG>hey quick question from a PC convert...I don't have a fn key. My powermac keyboard isn't the full size one. So how do I delete a character in front of the cursor?</STRONG>
there is no key combination. you could look for a system extension providing one, im pretty sure there are some.

heinzkunz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 1, 2002, 08:26 AM

Originally posted by skalie:
<STRONG>Actually I was looking for the button to do what the combination of "fn" and "backspace" does</STRONG>
there is no delete key due to the limited space of a portables keyboard. on fullsize keyboards, there are delete keys (though they had been removed for some years).

unfortunately, the key combination to simulate a delete key doesnt work in some older apps...

<STRONG>
Now if only someone could explain to me how to get the F5, F6 and F8 buttons to do their job when using Flash.</STRONG>
just press &lt;fn&gt; + &lt;f 1-6&gt;. &lt;shift&gt; + &lt;f5&gt; is not possible, annoyingly.

bluedog
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2002, 12:01 PM

www.macwindows.com

Has all kinds of tips for cross-platform and such. Not necessarily a tutorial on switching, but very useful.

lookmark
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2002, 02:23 PM

Originally posted by heinzkunz:
<STRONG>

just press &lt;fn&gt; + &lt;f 1-6&gt;. &lt;shift&gt; + &lt;f5&gt; is not possible, annoyingly.</STRONG>
I'm not sure if this only exists for Quark, but I've noticed that if you hold down shift *first*, then press the fn key and the appropriate function key (e.g. &lt;f5&gt; ), it will work.

Does this work for anyone else?

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2002, 02:46 PM

Originally posted by RedStar:
<STRONG>hey quick question from a PC convert...I don't have a fn key. My powermac keyboard isn't the full size one. So how do I delete a character in front of the cursor?</STRONG>
Press "fn"+"delete"...works for many app's on my PowerBook.

lookmark
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2002, 02:55 PM

Originally posted by lookmark:
<STRONG>

I'm not sure if this only exists for Quark, but I've noticed that if you hold down shift *first*, then press the fn key and the appropriate function key (e.g. &lt;f5&gt; ), it will work.

Does this work for anyone else?</STRONG>
No response?

Aw, c'mon, I thought this was a great Quark in Classic tip... even if only tangentially iBook-related.

Forum Links
Forum Rules