Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > is safari the new internet explorer

is safari the new internet explorer
m a d r a
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2004, 07:26 PM

like the majority of folks around these parts, i've never been behind the door when it's been time to sink the boot into microsoft and especially that f**kwitted excuse for a browser of theirs.

however of late i find that i'm starting to get the same kind of teeth-grinding feeling when using safari as i used to have when using explorer. the two long-standing annoyances were irritating enough:

1. that f**king hyper enthusiastic auto-fill feature. people [including myself] have been complaining about it since day one - recently visited "http://www.somesite/somesection/somepage.html?somecookieinfo&someblardeblar" and now want to visit plain ol' "http://www.somesite.com"?.... bet you can't get to the return button after typing in "http://www.somesite.com" before safari insists on filling in the rest of the previously visited URL in your browser's address bar, thus taking you to the wrong page!

2. that annoying 'forms re-submit' scenario - you've just come from a page which involved filling in some form info and hit the back button to go back and change sommit. safari pops up a dialogue asking "are you sure you want to resubmit the form...?" and then takes an age to go back to the previous page. no i don't want to resubmit the f**king form. i just want to go back to the page i was at before!

and now there are a couple of new safari annoyances which seem to have popped up in recent versions:

1. the memory leak - ever leave safari running overnight and found your comp a bit unresponsive in the morning? - check out activity monitor and you'll probably find safari has grabbed about half a gig of RAM for itself. just for sitting in the background, doing nothing.

2. the 'cookies f**k up' - i don't exactly know what's going on here, but this only happens with safari. if, for example i leave the comp overnight, logged into ebay. the next day, the ebay site totally f**ks up, asking me to log in continually and complaining that my browser isn't accepting cookies. this is in spite of the fact that safari is set to accept cookies and my ebay prefs are set to keep me logged in permanently. this behaviour only happens under safari and is only curable by quitting and re-starting safari.

[dons asbestos underpants and retires to safe distance]

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2004, 07:31 PM

I'm convinced...I'm off to get XP...

cpac
Professional Poster
Jun 2, 2004, 07:43 PM

there are only about a billion browser choices out there currently for OSX - if Safari doesn't float your boat, give something else a try:

OmniWeb
Camino
FireFox
Mozilla
Opera
iCab
Shirra (or however you spell it)

One of these is bound to have the proper balance of features for you...

That said, if you use any single piece of software enough, you're bound to find annoyances no matte what.
cpac

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 2, 2004, 09:41 PM

Before telling him to go use another browser, how about a reasonable discussion of potential Safari shortcomings.

I happen to agree with you - and you articulated the problems very well - the auto-complete web addresses IS too aggressive, and the 'resubmit form' thing SUCKS. Especially after a search on MacNN forums, then not being allowed to go back to the search results because you are limited on how often you can search MacNN. Then leaving the search results in one tab, and opening links from there in other tabs, inevitably forgetting to command-click or right click one of the links and being right back in the 'do you want to resubmit' mess. Frustrating.

I have notcied subtle problems with several web forms not working well -claiming incorrect data types. I have submitted them all to Apple, often firefox works fine, on rare occasion I have reverted to IE and it usually worked.

Also why does safari use 100% of the proc when trying to reply in MacNN - fix THAT.

Lee
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2004, 10:30 PM

Originally posted by LeeG:
Also why does safari use 100% of the proc when trying to reply in MacNN - fix THAT.
Animated .gif smileys.

Using PithHelmet, I set it to loop once and everything is a-ok.

Applefreak01
Senior User
Jun 2, 2004, 10:33 PM

I don't even use IE on a PC. Haven't used IE for a couple of years now.
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2004, 10:52 PM

Madra, in is usual inimitable style posted some very good points.

There are some less than stellar workarounds, such as deactivating auto-fill and turning off the quick input version of vbb in your user prefs on MacNN, but apart from that Safari has become a real PITA when it comes to memory usage (try browsing multiple sites in tabs and then closing one of the tabs after which you can wait for up to 10 seconds before Safari clears out the RAM used for that tab) and the cookies bug is also a pain. There are also some other less evident bugs that can drive you to abstraction, such as the bug in which you open this site in one window and then a site that uses css highlighting on rollover such as this one in another window on top of that one. Watch the css rollovers go apsh�t trying to cope with a scrolling iframe in another window.......

The only thing I can suggest at the moment is to use Camino, but it aslo has bugs. The other thing is to pseter Appple with as many bug reports as you can and hope that his majesty's crew in Cupertino will deign to fix them at some unspecified time in the future.
weird wabbit

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2004, 11:29 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
Animated .gif smileys.

Using PithHelmet, I set it to loop once and everything is a-ok.
Or get 10.3.4... the animated gifs use a lot less CPU in the new Safari

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2004, 02:54 AM

Originally posted by Dale Sorel:
Or get 10.3.4... the animated gifs use a lot less CPU in the new Safari
Not to me. I'm on 10.3.4 and it's still the same.

Wickedkitten
Jun 3, 2004, 03:14 AM

I stopped using Safari ages ago because there isn't very well done contextual menu support.

I don't want the world, I just want Contextual Menu options for images just like every single other browser out for OS X seem to have. Yes there is Copy Image to Clipboard, but is that really more useful than Copy Image Link to Clipboard?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 3, 2004, 04:58 AM

Originally posted by Wickedkitten:
I stopped using Safari ages ago because there isn't very well done contextual menu support.

I don't want the world, I just want Contextual Menu options for images just like every single other browser out for OS X seem to have. Yes there is Copy Image to Clipboard, but is that really more useful than Copy Image Link to Clipboard?
That's why Shiira is looking like a promising browser. This bugs me too, but since Shiira is pretty much an open-source Safari, I was able to add this feature in a short amount of time (The author hasn't incorporated my patch yet, so this isn't in CVS at the moment. But hopefully he'll decide to use my patch eventually).

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules