Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Sosumi

Sosumi (Page 2)
fireside
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2004, 12:48 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
I've been waiting on Shapeshifter 1.5 to see if a few things will work.
oh i didn't realize you were BBX Zimphire.

no one, i mean NO ONE but smeger knows what is going to be in Shapeshifter 1.3, 1.4, or 1.5. don't give us any of that shit.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2004, 12:50 AM

I think this should have been more diplomatically discussed before releasing it publicly: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/15197 Releasing it publicly already was a bit low mac15...

Zimphire: I do sympathize with your wanting to keep a claim on the theme, but I also think you are being a bit too stubborn and un-diplomatic about it. You could have even done a joint update of the theme with mac15, or get his .tpark file to start you off on the new official version? I don't know... I just think it's mean to not update a theme for years then have someone come along willing to do a good job of a port and then you come and say flat out 'no', you could have kept it as a release to only the members in this topic if you had compromised and been a bit nicer about it.

Edit: The only reason mac15 posted it publicly in the first place here was because he didn't know who the original author was.
click one

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 15, 2004, 01:06 AM

Originally posted by fireside:

no one, i mean NO ONE but smeger knows what is going to be in Shapeshifter 1.3, 1.4, or 1.5. don't give us any of that shit.
I don't know what is in 1.3, 1.4, or 1.5. Never said I did.

What **** was I giving you?

cube3
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2004, 01:07 AM

Feeding Smeg assorted fruit pieces and providing him with a steady flow icons, he will give you a couple of tidbits of info. Like did you know 1.5 is immune to baiting?

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 15, 2004, 01:09 AM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
I think this should have been more diplomatically discussed before releasing it publicly: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/15197 Releasing it publicly already was a bit low mac15...

He released it after he had read my posts asking him not to. That link is gone. They removed it.

Zimphire: I do sympathize with your wanting to keep a claim on the theme, but I also think you are being a bit too stubborn and un-diplomatic about it. You could have even done a joint update of the theme with mac15, or get his .tpark file to start you off on the new official version? I don't know... I just think it's mean to not update a theme for years then have someone come along willing to do a good job of a port and then you come and say flat out 'no', you could have kept it as a release to only the members in this topic if you had compromised and been a bit nicer about it.

I already have a lot of it done now. I have changed a few things as well.

Edit: The only reason mac15 posted it publicly in the first place here was because he didn't know who the original author was.
No, he read what I had to say and then posted it anyhow.

Hey, that's on him. Not many themeing sites will host it though. And it wont be the same one I will be releasing.

darkcore
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2004, 01:19 AM

People are tired of waiting Zimphire. You were credited on mac15's theme page. Stop the bitching and get over yourself.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 15, 2004, 01:25 AM

Originally posted by darkcore:
People are tired of waiting Zimphire.

So if people get tired of waiting for say, Photoshop updates, can someone just steal the code and add a few things and release it themselves?

You were credited on mac15's theme page. Stop the bitching and get over yourself.
This is the kind of attitude I am talking about. Get over myself? I am not making a big deal about myself.

Using other people's work without their permission, and esp after they asked you not to is bad.

I am not mad at mac15. I am a little disappointed I will say. I have never had any problems with people after I have asked them not to mess with my themes. This is the first.

No need to get a tude.

I have never tried to stop anyone from porting Sosumi over themselves with themefur and then using it for their personal usage or whatever. Not once did I say anything about that. I just asked for them not to release it.

That isn't being "full of myself" that is just me asking people to respect my wishes because I am the one who put all the time in originally designing it.

I have been waiting to see which directing themeing was going in. And recently got some extra time to mess with.

fireside
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2004, 01:25 AM

I don't know what is in 1.3, 1.4, or 1.5. Never said I did.

What **** was I giving you?
I've been waiting on Shapeshifter 1.5 to see if a few things will work.
if you don't know whats going to be in 1.5, then why the hell are you waiting for it?

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 15, 2004, 01:28 AM

if you don't know whats going to be in 1.5, then why the hell are you waiting for it?
I was waiting to see what it brought. If there was going to be a new "format" or what not.

Not waiting for a particular "option"

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2004, 01:33 AM

I was waiting to see what it brought. If there was going to be a new "format" or what not.

Somehow I doubt it'll be worth waiting for since you can also update your already made themes to use new features.

Oh and when I said:
The only reason mac15 posted it publicly in the first place here was because he didn't know who the original author was.
I was talking about this topic, not the theme it's self. I agree that posting the theme on his site and MacUpdate without further discussion was over board and uncalled for.
click one

fireside
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2004, 01:35 AM

so you're going to wait another what, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 months until ShapeShifter 1.5 comes out incase there might be a new "format?"

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 15, 2004, 01:37 AM

Depends, if demand is enough I might release it right after the iTunes skin I am working on is done.

maybe before that.

The menu-bar and title bars are different now. And some of the other widgets have been improved.

mac15  (op)
Senior User
Jun 15, 2004, 01:43 AM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
I threw it on my webpage, that was it. I never contacted macupdate. I don't even have an account with them. Zimphire, I had no idea your anger would reach such a high level. If you want me to pull it. I'll do so now, just give me the word.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 15, 2004, 01:45 AM

Originally posted by mac15:
I threw it on my webpage, that was it. I never contacted macupdate. I don't even have an account with them. Zimphire,

I apologize then if it was not you that did that. It was removed anyhow.

I had no idea your anger would reach such a high level.

Like I said, I am not angry with you.

If you want me to pull it. I'll do so now, just give me the word.
Yes, please pull it.

Thanks.

decursive
Forum Regular
Jun 15, 2004, 01:46 AM

So if people get tired of waiting for say, Photoshop updates, can someone just steal the code and add a few things and release it themselves?
i would have no problem with this.
= decursive =

quandarry
Jun 15, 2004, 01:48 AM

waiting for shapeshifter 1.5

haha hehe

how original...just about fell outta my seat.

i'm calling your bluff kiddo...

may lighting come down and cleans you.

mac15  (op)
Senior User
Jun 15, 2004, 01:48 AM

I'll pull it but is there anyway we can come to some sort of an agreement as to releasing it. I'll even give you the themepark file if you want so you can inspect it. Give it a seal of aproval or something?

deej5871
Senior User
Jun 15, 2004, 01:53 AM

Does anyone else find this a little ironic? Arguing over a theme called "Sosumi".

mac15  (op)
Senior User
Jun 15, 2004, 01:57 AM

perhaps I should have called it kantsumi or something

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 15, 2004, 01:59 AM

I named it "Sosumi" because at the time Apple was suing anyone that was releasing theme apps, and themes that looked like Aqua.

Sosumi was also a classic sound, this was a classic theme.

All the images are "original" meaning they were all created from scratch in Photoshop by me.

For example, there are other OS 9 like themes out there. None use my images.

Makki
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2004, 02:04 AM

Listen guys take this to another thread this is not the place for this blabering ythis is for posting desktop screenshots so move along thank you

Makki

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 15, 2004, 02:05 AM

I'll pull it but is there anyway we can come to some sort of an agreement as to releasing it. I'll even give you the themepark file if you want so you can inspect it. Give it a seal of aproval or something?
Give me the theme park file. Let me look at it. If I can paste what I have done with the stuff already finished and it look OK, I will see what we can work out. Give you partial credit or something. Just to get it out quicker.

Some parts are going to be just like what I have done (Obvious progression) some parts wont match the changes I have done.

I have to see it I guess.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 15, 2004, 02:06 AM

Originally posted by Makki:
Listen guys take this to another thread this is not the place for this blabering ythis is for posting desktop screenshots so move along thank you

Makki
Eh? This is a GUI forum and a thread about a theme we are talking about...

mac15  (op)
Senior User
Jun 15, 2004, 02:08 AM

Just hand it over, ask my permission first contact me yesterday and I'll let you know in a few months

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 15, 2004, 02:10 AM

Just hand it over, ask my permission first contact me yesterday and I'll let you know in a few months
Huh? I was trying to be helpful here.

If you wanted credit for doing something in it ok. If not, I can just finish it.

Really, it's no bother here.

Ozzpot
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2004, 02:18 AM

Originally posted by Makki:
Makki dude, you are confused. This is the "Sosumi" thread, not the "Official Desktop Snapshot blah blah" thread where you normally live.

Get some sleep dude.
iMac G5 17" 2.0ghz 1.5gb RAM MacOS10.4 • iBook G4 14" 933mhz 768mb RAM MacOS10.4 • iPod Touch 16gb

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 15, 2004, 02:40 AM

Once I get this out, I might let someone take it over for me.

Who knows.

But I do want to at least put another one out before I give it up to someone else.

cube3
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2004, 02:53 AM

I can't believe that some of you are getting aggro because Zim wants to keep ownership of a theme he created. He could be waiting for SS XVII for all I care, it doesn't matter "Sosumi" is his idea and using the resources without his permission, is exactly the same ripping artwork and icons. Yes there was a misunderstanding to begin with, but that was resolved along time ago. When he expressed his feelings on the subject, you should have taped your mouths shut, and accepted it.

mac15  (op)
Senior User
Jun 15, 2004, 03:07 AM

Huh? I was trying to be helpful here.

If you wanted credit for doing something in it ok. If not, I can just finish it.

Really, it's no bother here.
I was just a dick, I was kinda bumbed thats all. I'll talk via AIM about it. I'll hand it over no probs
( Last edited by mac15; Jun 15, 2004 at 03:15 AM. )

Fellow2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2004, 03:48 AM

mac15, this was really an asinine thing for you to do. You should be ashamed.

rezonate
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2004, 06:51 AM

Isn't this easily resolved by Mac15 just redoing the elements? Just don't use zimpy's, remake them, and credit him.
Over 100,000 Iraqis -dead. Over 200,000 Afganis - dead. and counting...
All dead based on lies fed to an uninformed public, to manipulate them into not seeing the true agenda. All dead in the name of protecting US interests. Not one single thing these hypocrites tells us is based on truth. Not one thing.

phillryu
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2004, 07:37 AM

Originally posted by Fellow2000:
mac15, this was really an asinine thing for you to do. You should be ashamed.
I disagree. I think that he made a fair effort to find out who authore the theme (which is basically impossible to find out, now that the webpage is gone, etc.) and he definitely did not post at macupdate.com.

Man I hate when macupdate does that... I'm sure software devs will sympathize!

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

haley
Forum Regular
Jun 15, 2004, 07:50 AM

Zimphire: How about you post some screenies of what you have done then? I'm interested in seeing just how far you are on redoing the theme....

mac15  (op)
Senior User
Jun 15, 2004, 08:15 AM

Originally posted by rezonate:
Isn't this easily resolved by Mac15 just redoing the elements? Just don't use zimpy's, remake them, and credit him.

That'd be great but the point of this was just to update because seem to like so much. I like the idea of it taking 2 days and not nearly a month

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2004, 08:19 AM

Well, it's up to Zimphire now. He should put up or shut up. If he wants to mod and re-release his theme, he should. But if he's not, then he should be happy enough that someone picked up his slack and modified it enough on their own to warrant a release. And none of that childish, I'll get to it when I want, maybe.
And mac15 seems to be giving credit where credit is due.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Wickedkitten
Jun 15, 2004, 09:08 AM

did anyone manage to get a copy before it was pulled? Can you post a full screenie of what it looks like?

ineedmoresleep
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 15, 2004, 10:35 AM

I got this last night before I new what was going on. I will not distribute this so don't ask. As a designer myself I sympathize with zim on this.

Although, I would've been more understanding in regards to letting it be since mac15 did just port it and you say that yours is improved anyway. A port is just a port. Credit was given.

sosumi shot

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 15, 2004, 11:41 AM

Who is Ben Boldt?

I see his name connected with the classic port.
It is in the resources of the file.

sixz
Jun 15, 2004, 12:01 PM

A theme thats looks forward by going backwards.

More of an OS8/OSX amalgam hack than an original
idea - ugly because it's so creativity sterile.

It's the OSX beta without the stripes and all the
'classic' OS8 elements replacing the overtly aqua ones.

Really sad.

Fellow2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2004, 12:08 PM

Originally posted by phillryu:
I disagree. I think that he made a fair effort to find out who authore the theme (which is basically impossible to find out, now that the webpage is gone, etc.) and he definitely did not post at macupdate.com.

Man I hate when macupdate does that... I'm sure software devs will sympathize!
Hey assclown, that does not matter. Just because you cannot find the original author does not give anyone permission to go ripping stuff. I cannot believe I am seeing this attitude from mac15, someone I used to respect, and no YOU!

You have got to be kidding me. Most professional works that are done, it is impossible to find out who made them and ask permission. Does this mean that its cool to just go around and rip their stuff because they are unavailable?

No, he did not make the effort. Posting screenshots of a theme you know you don't have permission for is just uncalled for. I have no idea whether its some kind of pride thing of "looky looky what I have and you don't" but if that's the case then you people need to get a life. Its just a theme. On the same note, just because it is a theme doesn't mean someone didn't spend a lot of hard time working on it. Total disrespect.

AND THEN, he still released it AFTER he found out who made it and the author told him NO! AND THEN if that wasn't enough, he publicly said that he would email it out to people. What a coward!

I don't care how much an ass zimphire is. I don't like him, I am not sure anybody does. But just because you don't like someone doesn't mean you don't respect them like you respect every author.

This is that anonymity attitude of the internet that really pisses me off. You people think you have the right to do just whatever you want and walk over other people just because you want something. "mommy, give it to me now!"

One of those days I wish I could meet you people face to face.

@ mac15 - You could have simply asked for permission first. You obviously did not inquire about the author in this forum, since everyone seems to know that Zimphire is the one that created it. Making first and then asking questions later, after you have posted screenshots is just complete wrong. I really sincerely hope that you will sit down and re-think how you go about making ports. Maybe you should talk with people like Kol or Playboy and ask them how they go about it. This is the only way to gain respect in this community, not go around disrespecting the artists who had the original creative thought behind the theme.

sixz
Jun 15, 2004, 12:29 PM

You have got to be kidding me. Most professional works that are done, it is impossible to find out who made them and ask permission. Does this mean that its cool to just go around and rip their stuff because they are unavailable?

If it's a purchase agreement or if you have to
sign something in writing then maybe you are right.

But 'hack' GUI has absolutely no rights - just a code
between a small community - to stay part of that community
you must follow the rules - and how many BBX'ers can a community
stand- but to say I'd like to meet you face to face over a few pixels,
ripped off an Apple made interface is nuts.

You guys act like a bunch of pansies. If you make something
and want to give it away - great, But saying you own it, is complete
rubbish. Sosumi is the prime example of this kind of stupidity.
The creator should and probably is ashamed that he ever hacked it together.

quandarry
Jun 15, 2004, 12:35 PM

assclown
calling yourself names? what's that all about?

zimp abandoned it a long time ago. when he learned that i updated it for jag he wanted me to send it to him...of course i didn't.

if he doesn't do something by the end of the month i'll release a a completely redone panther version that i did awhile back. looks like sosumi but everthing was redone and refined.

i also did a desert sand version, sandy color instead of grey.

don't ask me why i did it cuz i don't even use it. i think i did it to see if i could.

i won't release it outright but will provide a link for download.

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 15, 2004, 12:39 PM

Originally posted by sixz:
A theme thats looks forward by going backwards.

More of an OS8/OSX amalgam hack than an original
idea - ugly because it's so creativity sterile.

It's the OSX beta without the stripes and all the
'classic' OS8 elements replacing the overtly aqua ones.

Really sad.
thx for the info
I always thought it was clean for classic - but perhaps orginality wins and OSX supported what the classic version was just trying fake.

Tarambana
Forum Regular
Jun 15, 2004, 12:50 PM

Originally posted by quandarry:
calling yourself names? what's that all about?

zimp abandoned it a long time ago. when he learned that i updated it for jag he wanted me to send it to him...of course i didn't.

if he doesn't do something by the end of the month i'll release a a completely redone panther version that i did awhile back. looks like sosumi but everthing was redone and refined.

i also did a desert sand version, sandy color instead of grey.

don't ask me why i did it cuz i don't even use it. i think i did it to see if i could.

i won't release it outright but will provide a link for download.
Great! I am really looking forward foor those two variations.

Thanks.

Makki
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2004, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by Ozzpot:
Makki dude, you are confused. This is the "Sosumi" thread, not the "Official Desktop Snapshot blah blah" thread where you normally live.

Get some sleep dude.
ROFLMAO I was tired i guess LOL

Makki
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2004, 01:13 PM

Originally posted by haley:
Zimphire: How about you post some screenies of what you have done then? I'm interested in seeing just how far you are on redoing the theme....
Ditto!

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 15, 2004, 01:32 PM

Originally posted by quandarry:

I never abandoned anything. And when did I ask for the Jag version? Why? I have a Jag version.

The reason I stopped theming was because of stuff like this quandarry.

People just being disrespectful and hateful.

And sixz I'll take your transparent criticism as a compliment.

Makki
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2004, 02:06 PM

Well now that im awake and well rested and no longer sleep typing lol.
Man Zim your getting it from all sides here dude.
Wish we could all just get along themes are so much fun i sad when this kinda poop happens.

anyways peaceout man

Makki

sixz
Jun 15, 2004, 02:08 PM

And sixz I'll take your transparent criticism as a compliment.

Take it up any passage that gives you satisfaction.
Let the new 'BBX' take his starting position...

We all await your theme with baited breath, and are counting the days... +1

Makki
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2004, 02:09 PM

Originally posted by sixz:
Take it up any passage that gives you satisfaction.
Let the new 'BBX' take his starting position...

We all await your theme with baited breath, and are counting the days... +1
Man sixz cant you just layoff dude. Make your own themes if you want but lets get over this manutia hill oki

Forum Links
Forum Rules