Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Wich are the Best RSS News feeders/viewrs

Wich are the Best RSS News feeders/viewrs
pedroperez80
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2005, 02:27 PM

Hello,

I'am searching for a good program for RSS news, I would appreciate a lot if I could get opinnions from the forum about this topic.

Thank You

Pedro P�rez

electric monk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2005, 05:21 PM

NewsFire for a lightweight one that looks the best.
Net News Wire for a full featured one.
Tickershock for a different way to do it.

saddino
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 3, 2005, 05:54 PM

Originally posted by electric monk:
NewsFire for a lightweight one that looks the best.
Net News Wire for a full featured one.
Tickershock for a different way to do it.
Well, that's a nice compliment, thanks.

Even though I'm biased I'll admit that NetNewsWire is the gold standard as far as email-like aggregators go. And the Lite version is free (can't beat that).

NewsFire is $20 but very pretty (iChat like).

And Tickershock is also $20, but you can use it for free if you don't mind ads for our other products, i.e. hint, hint: download it and check it out. It's a scrolling ticker or billboard that shows RSS feeds as they come in.

mac15
Senior User
Feb 3, 2005, 06:15 PM

I'm a paying user of NewsFire, I seriously love the app. I found it much nicer than NetNewsWire,

eatinwokout
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 3, 2005, 06:36 PM

i used to use netnewswire lite and loved the email view like layout. it made reading through feeds a breeze.

i found newsfire a month ago and have since deleted netnewswire lite. i just love the feed list on the left and the display on the right. a very nice presentation for your rss feeds. it's a bummer that you now have to pay. i've stuck with the .62 release which is fine for now. if i see any new features worth paying for ill shell out the $20 and upgrade. i love the way read feeds drop down like ichat buddies who have signed off.

threestain
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2005, 08:07 PM

I use NewsYouCanUse and like that, so might be another to check out...

eatinwokout
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 3, 2005, 10:11 PM

oh i used to use that one.. it's integrated right into the menu bar. i just couldn't remember the name of the app.

TeknoTurd
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 3, 2005, 10:30 PM

I've been using NetNewsWire Lite for about 5 months now. I found this new 2.0 beta to be extremely good, and even upgraded to the full feature version of NetNewsWire, which is absolutely the best if you are a detail freak. Being able to open webpages and links inside the NNW as well as having it highlight changes that have been made to posts since you have read them the first time is awesome. I need lots of options to customize my apps, if you are a person who doesn't need a ton of options or customability then try this, but you will probably end up using something simpler. For users like myself this app can't be beaten.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2005, 03:17 AM

I wouldn't pay for any if you're getting Tiger since Safari RSS will be part of the package in a couple of months.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2005, 07:43 AM

NetNewsWire Lite - Free.

I just wish he'd fix that bug where it won't update the dock icon to the correct number of unreads.

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 4, 2005, 07:52 AM

There's also PulpFiction Lite which is free and have some features disabled. But it works ok for me at this time.
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

shadybirdstan
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 4, 2005, 03:21 PM

Sage extension for Firefox.

Wickedkitten
Feb 4, 2005, 04:46 PM

Originally posted by Randman:
I wouldn't pay for any if you're getting Tiger since Safari RSS will be part of the package in a couple of months.
Safari RSS is about as Barebones as you can get. I need features, so I use either NetNewsWire or MiNews.

beno
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2005, 11:26 AM

Newsfire!!! Groups, smart groups, simple fast aqua interface. What more could you ask for?
Ben

osxisfun
Feb 5, 2005, 12:14 PM

Originally posted by beno:
Newsfire!!! Groups, smart groups, simple fast aqua interface. What more could you ask for?
Ben
Netnewswire pro..

Seriously, newsfire is pretty and aqua and all that but i just find that its a good beginner reader. But i want more of a professional level reader. and for $19 bucks.?? a person would have to be kookoo not to just spend $5 more to get netnewswire pro....

YMMV

osxisfun
Feb 5, 2005, 12:16 PM

Originally posted by Fonzie:
There's also PulpFiction Lite which is free and have some features disabled. But it works ok for me at this time.
man o man. i'm glad its working for you but pulp fiction has been one of the buggiest programs i used in the past 2 years... plus the devs have quite a bit of attitude from posts i have seen from them...

Macanoid
Senior User
Feb 5, 2005, 02:17 PM

For those who didn't know :: Omniweb 5 has had rss built in for quite a while now.

a movie of how it works right here!

adam1185
Feb 6, 2005, 12:14 AM

I just got netnewswire lite after newsfire became 20 bucks and I have to say I like it more than newsfire. The latest release does everything I did with newsfire and is a lot faster

Krypton
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2005, 08:39 AM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:
NetNewsWire Lite - Free.

I just wish he'd fix that bug where it won't update the dock icon to the correct number of unreads.
The latest Lite beta is now v22 (in sync with the Pro version) and appears to fix this bug along with some nice new Ui improvements such as the action menu.

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 6, 2005, 09:29 AM

Originally posted by osxisfun:
man o man. i'm glad its working for you but pulp fiction has been one of the buggiest programs i used in the past 2 years... plus the devs have quite a bit of attitude from posts i have seen from them...
For the small amount that I use RSS I think it works. I'm trying out NetNewsWire in a minute.
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

fetopher
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 6, 2005, 09:52 AM

I was a huge NewsFire fan, even wrote a nice article about it on my webpage. But, with each release the author would add more features (good) which made the app slower (bad). I have over 150 feeds I subscribe to and the most recent release just poops out. It hangs all the time. I continued to use it until I found that I had to pay $20 to add any more feeds. That's all I needed to prompt me to download Net News Wire Lite. So far it's a great app with all the feautres I need. It isn't as pretty as NewsFire, but is prettiness worth speed and $20? I say no.
Me
Dual 2.6GHz Intel Xeon | 23" Apple Cinema Display | 13" MacBook | 15" AluBook 1.67 GHz | 1.42 GHz Mac mini | 50" NEC Plasma | Tiger | 80GB iPod Video | 60GB iPod photo | 4GB iPod mini | 1GB iPod shuffle | 4GB iPod nano

headbirth
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2005, 09:56 AM

I was using NewsFire during it's development, but now that it's shareware I switched to Feed which is also in development.

Feed is starting to shape-up into a nice little app. The GUI isn't as pleasing as NewsFire, but it does the job nicely.

Forum Links
Forum Rules