Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 2nd 15 al and white spots AGAIN

2nd 15 al and white spots AGAIN
Lorinserbenz
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2003, 12:59 AM

My first 15 Al had a bad case of thw white spots, they were in the same positions as another member. My local Apple store in Tampa kindly swapped my unit for a new one. Well the new one was perfect for 3 days, now it is starting to exhibit the same thing spots again. The Mac Genius said it seemed like the spots may have been related to the foam pushing on the screen in transit.
The spots on my 2nd are not nearly as bad, but they were not there 3 days ago. I plan on trying to swap again, which I would rather not since it is a pain to move all my files. But I think that it should be perfect for $2600. I thought about just paying the extra money and getting the 17 inch instead.
I noticed that the 15" Al's are showing a 7-10 day wait. I wonder if they are fixing whatever is causing the problems with the screens? Any thoughts or input?.....

machem
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2003, 01:34 AM

Originally posted by Lorinserbenz:
My first 15 Al had a bad case of thw white spots, they were in the same positions as another member. My local Apple store in Tampa kindly swapped my unit for a new one. Well the new one was perfect for 3 days, now it is starting to exhibit the same thing spots again. The Mac Genius said it seemed like the spots may have been related to the foam pushing on the screen in transit.
The spots on my 2nd are not nearly as bad, but they were not there 3 days ago. I plan on trying to swap again, which I would rather not since it is a pain to move all my files. But I think that it should be perfect for $2600. I thought about just paying the extra money and getting the 17 inch instead.
I noticed that the 15" Al's are showing a 7-10 day wait. I wonder if they are fixing whatever is causing the problems with the screens? Any thoughts or input?.....
I'm sending mine in for repair next week. At first, I pushed for an exchange, but on second thought, a repair seems better --- I was afraid of being in your situation. It might eventually be satisfactory, but having to send this puppy back once is bad enough.

Sorry for your hassle. I hope that there is some fixing/re-engineering going on in Taiwan....

bgordon
Oct 5, 2003, 02:19 AM

I'm glad I canceled my BTO order.

I still want a 15-incher; I think I may buy a stock model locally to make replacement easier.

That having been said, I went to the Apple Store in SoHo today.

The display/demo 15-incher out on the floor has white spots.

This seems as though it's becoming a bigger issue.....

bcaslis
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 5, 2003, 02:44 AM

My first 15" which I got on 9/18 had two white spots. My replacement I got Wednesday 10/1 has a perfect screen, runs cooler, and seems to have better fit than the first one.

desillusion.com
Oct 5, 2003, 05:36 AM

is there any picture goin around of these white spots?
i just can't imagine what they look like, so please anyone post some footage!
finally here and absolutely flawless:
powerbook 12" 1ghz rev b combo 768 mb ram bt-mouse

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2003, 05:58 AM

Originally posted by desillusion.com:
is there any picture goin around of these white spots?
i just can't imagine what they look like, so please anyone post some footage!
Yeah, I am interested as well. I picked up a 1.25GHz 15" and my screen is perfect, but I have heard a lot about these white spots.

Lorinserbenz  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2003, 08:33 AM

I downloaded pixel check from www.versiontracker.com to check mine. The first units white spots were very noticable especially on white backgrounds. The current unit I have did not spots till after about 3 days of use. The more I look it at the more it seems the spots are in the SAME locations as the prior unit. Another member posted some pics of his spots and they seem to line up in the same spots. This leads me to believe there is an assembly issue or a problem with the supplier of the screens. I just find it odd that there is 10 day wait to order from the Apple store.

gif32
Oct 5, 2003, 10:28 AM

Originally posted by desillusion.com:
please anyone post some footage!
My first 15" had three white spots, one much brigher than the rest. (The other two don't show up very well in the pic.)

The replacement took a while to get here but it seems perfect so far. I'm very disturbed to hear that spots are appearing days later... I just assumed that because it was clean when I opened it that it would stay that way.

http://www.giffininterior.com/andrew/mypbspot.jpg

The blurred out stuff is just my name and Apple case number. They "captured" my unit for some sort of engineering review.

desillusion.com
Oct 5, 2003, 10:45 AM

thanks for that pic, now i see what everybodys complaining about, i wouldn't accept a screen that looks like that either. especially when you photoshopping or doing any other graphic design stuff, that'll really gonna bug you...

so glad that i won't have to worry about white spots on the 12" i'm waiting for..
finally here and absolutely flawless:
powerbook 12" 1ghz rev b combo 768 mb ram bt-mouse

MSME
Oct 5, 2003, 11:25 AM

After downloading Pixel Tester, I noticed that I have one of the white spots on the left of my screen. It's really faint, and only barely visible even on a white screen. I'm trying to decide whether to call Apple about it now, or wait until and see if it gets worse.
Black MacBook C2D 2.0 Ghz, stock, Powerbook 15" 1Ghz (Al), iPhone 8 GB

Synotic
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2003, 11:43 AM

Mine should be coming tomorrow or Tuesday and I was wondering if anyone actually knows what the problem is? If it keeps showing up in the same places, isn't it bound to come on most of them sometime or another? Do they finally appear after some pressure to the screen? If my PowerBook has them I'd probably take a repair and try and actually get the problem fixed, rather than getting a new one that just hasn't exhibited the problem yet. Can anyone tell me what their turnaround time is for repairs? Also, nobody has any problems with technicians scratching their PowerBooks or damaging them in any way, correct? Anyway I can protect myself against that? Thanks

filmmaker2002
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 5, 2003, 11:53 AM

Here is a pic of the spots on my screen. I'm getting her replaced this week though. Those of you who are unaware of this problem, be sure to keep an eye on your 15" AlBook display. I didn't notice them until the 3rd day I had mine...and they are getting worse.

Damn spots
It's just an ordinary day and it's all your
state of mind, at the end of the day, you
just gotta say it's alright!

xylon
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 5, 2003, 12:02 PM

Now that I've seen what you guys are talking about, I realize I have one of those white spots as well. Mine isn't that bad and it seems to be slowly diminishing (or my eyes have gotten used to it). You can still pick it out if you put up a white screen and look up at the screen from the corner of the left palm rest, but it's not bad enough to notice in everyday work.

^Thanks to sealobo
Viva le ScrollWheel!

MSME
Oct 5, 2003, 12:11 PM

I realize I have one of those white spots as well. Mine isn't that bad and it seems to be slowly diminishing (or my eyes have gotten used to it).
xylon:

Where is yours located on your LCD? The spot on mine is similar to yours in that sometimes I find it easier to see than others.
Black MacBook C2D 2.0 Ghz, stock, Powerbook 15" 1Ghz (Al), iPhone 8 GB

offbalance
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2003, 01:41 PM

hi, i posted this to the AI forum. maybe someone here could give it a go:

hey will someone try something for me as a test? bring up a white page so you can see your white spots better, then GENTLY put pressure on the backside of the lid. see if that changes the spots. what i'm thinking is that the white spots are from too much pressure on the lid so it pushes the inside of the lid close to the screen. if this is the case, then your spots should grow when you apply pressure, but they should disappear if somehow you can expand the inside of the top lid. this would be muuuuuch appreciated. thanx!

filmmaker2002
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 5, 2003, 01:51 PM

I tried that. Interesting results. The spots don't get bigger or go away, but if you flex the panel just slightly, you get those colored/liquid effects just over the spots. So say I were to put pressure on a spot where there are NO white spots, the liquid effect happens AT or ON the white spots...implying that it is indeed a manufacturing/physical issue.
It's just an ordinary day and it's all your
state of mind, at the end of the day, you
just gotta say it's alright!

Sakino
Senior User
Oct 5, 2003, 02:09 PM

Originally posted by bcaslis:
My first 15" which I got on 9/18 had two white spots. My replacement I got Wednesday 10/1 has a perfect screen, runs cooler, and seems to have better fit than the first one.
How did you get a replacement is it a bto?

I'm in a tough situation, I want a replacement on my bto because of all the problems I am having.
It now runs hot as hell, and more problems everyday.
I emailed [email protected] with a request to get a replacement and they havnt emailed me back.
What should I do?

Lorinserbenz  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 6, 2003, 08:38 AM

Well my local Apple store has agreed to another unit for me, but I have to wait till they get some in. The one I have now (2nd unit) has also developed a red vertical line. I really do not want to have to deal with this again. I may just go with a 17 since I never had any issues with my 1ghz unit. I think there is some sort of build issue, it does seem there is even pressure on the LCD.
To any potential buyers, do not be concerned..... I think I am just getting unlucky Other than my screen issues I love the unit.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 6, 2003, 08:45 AM

Originally posted by Sakino:

I'm in a tough situation, I want a replacement on my bto because of all the problems I am having.
Keep in mind that a replacement may exhibit the same problem. Repairing (in this case: replacing screen) is perhaps better since the machine will be inspected by a technician to make sure that the issue is gone.

ElBerserko
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2003, 02:25 AM

Originally posted by filmmaker2002:
I tried that. Interesting results. The spots don't get bigger or go away, but if you flex the panel just slightly, you get those colored/liquid effects just over the spots. So say I were to put pressure on a spot where there are NO white spots, the liquid effect happens AT or ON the white spots...implying that it is indeed a manufacturing/physical issue.
I have noticed the exact same thing on mine. I have two faint spots, and they both are highlighted by ripples when you press on the back of the screen. Ripples do not appear where I press on the screen, but instead where the white spots are. There is definitely something back there that is pressing against the screen and the back of the aluminum. Perhaps a wiring harness of some sorts. For this reason I would think the design would have to be adjusted in order to truely fix the problem. As in, if you do not have spots now, they may show up later.

Lorinserbenz  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 7, 2003, 02:42 AM

I guess third times the charm! The apple store in Tampa swapped my unit ( third one) and this one is perfect. Hopefully no spots with this unit. I can't began to say how great the service was at the store, they were very understanding and helpful... its nice to see ONE retail store that still has old- fashioned customer service...

fingers are crossed

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 7, 2003, 03:25 AM

I wonder how much money Apple is going to lose thanks to this problem. I mean I'm sure the manufacturer of the display will end up eating the cost of the bad screens, but Apple is still going to lose money from the tech support, repairs, and shipping stuff back and forth.
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

amazing
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2003, 11:24 AM

Think of if this way: Apple is seeding the refurb market.

s0litude
Forum Regular
Oct 7, 2003, 11:34 AM

You know that piece of foam they provide you when you first get the powerbook that covers the keys? Is it a good or bad idea to keep it there even after you've started using your powerbook? sorry i know its a noob question. But i'm scared of the white spots.
Hi!

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2003, 12:00 PM

I can't believe that this is such a widespread issue! It is all over the Mac boards around the net...

I thought it was quite rare, but the 'white spot' problem seems like an epidemic... It seems that a buyer is lucky to get a decent machine first time! Can't remember an identical fault causing this much hassle and posts before.

Wow. Apple must be losing stacks on this...

I was thinking of changing my Ti 867 for a new 15" Alu, but at this rate I may just stick with it as it is perfect, and wait for G5 next year or something, or even a Rev B 15"...

Hope Apple get this sorted before the press get hold of it...

Peace,

TPC

Agent69
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2003, 12:11 PM

Originally posted by s0litude:
You know that piece of foam they provide you when you first get the powerbook that covers the keys? Is it a good or bad idea to keep it there even after you've started using your powerbook? sorry i know its a noob question. But i'm scared of the white spots.
It won't effect the white spots either way but I used to keep it there when I closed my iBook to keep the keyboard from touching the screen.
Agent69

fenster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2003, 12:26 PM

My Al15 1Ghz now has the dreaded white spots. I had read of them before receiving mine so I carefully scutinized the screen upon the first few bootups. no stuck/dead pixels or white spots. last night (after 7 days of use) while booting and the screen all blue, I saw them - 3 of them. one ~2inches above the center at horizontal center, 1 ~3inches to the left of center at center-height, and another symetric on the right side. I downloaded pixel check and on all white they are quite visible, though not very much so in any other situation.

from reading other posts, it appears that Apple's support center is here in Austin,TX. I am considering bringing the unit in myself to see if a real-live human will look at it while I am there. does anyone know if their repair center is here as well? I read one post where the owner shipped it to austin, but said the unit was repaired elsewhere.

mine is a BTO, so a direct swap is probably not possible. if there is some problem with the backlight mechanism, I guess I would rather get a repair than swap, since I'd rather not introduce chance of dead pixels.

machem
Forum Regular
Oct 7, 2003, 01:15 PM

I just now received my return box. I'll make a (third) backup of my HD tonight, and ship 'er off tomorrow.

I'm not real happy or unhappy about this. Just want the machine back quickly. It's going to Houston.

mdewberry
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2003, 11:16 AM

Originally posted by The Placid Casual:

I was thinking of changing my Ti 867 for a new 15" Alu, but at this rate I may just stick with it as it is perfect, and wait for G5 next year or something, or even a Rev B 15"...

TPC
Hey Placid,

I just switched from the PC to the Mac about 7 weeks ago and bought the Tibook. I loved it, until the logic board completely crashed in it six weeks later. The Apple store was super accomodating in replacing it with a new 1Ghz Albook. But.....

The keyboard on the new book was bubbled on the right side of the keyboard - very mushy. I took it to the Apple store, the Genius agreed, and sent it to AppleCare. AppleCare sent it back 3 days later -- untouched. They said that it was within spec. The Genius could not believe this due to the amount the keyboard was flexing. So he sent it back again. Now a week without my Powerbook. It just came back last night. The keyboard is worse (it actually flexes more!), and when I brought it home and turned it on, the screen was covered with the dreaded white spots. Unbelievable! They were not there before I sent the Powerbook in for repair.

I work in the software/hardware industry, and we understand the importance of Quality Control of any product coming off the line (especially one for $2000!) Now, the book has been sent again, and I am without if for another week. Totally unacceptable, especially for a company that is supposedly known for quality.

I have worked with multiple laptops in my job (all PCs) and have never, never encountered the number of issues I have with owning a Mac for seven weeks.

In my opinion, wait on the Albook. They have a lot of issues to resolve. The keyboard stinks, the backlighting of the keyboard does not hit all keys evenly, and the screens are having issues.

Mike

cing2x
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2003, 08:51 PM

i got my lcd replaced b/c of two very prominent white spots.

well it was fine for 2 days and now it has 3 whitespots, albeit much fainter. i pretty much can't see it unless the screen is all one (light) color. but maybe it'll get worse. what is going on? i'll be c alling AppleCare again....
15" AlumiBook | 1.25Ghz | 512 | 80 | SD | Sweetness

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2003, 09:07 PM

This white spot issue is getting a little ridiculous.

Honestly, if I were you, I'd consider a refurb. or new 17".

I just don't have confidence in this product (15" Al- not Apple)

moofman
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 9, 2003, 02:41 AM

Mine are getting worse and worse... they started out being just three little dots and a blurry line in the middle, now it looks like I've got a smiling cyclops with white, rosy cheeks and its REALLY noticeable.

Grrr... I really don't wanna have to go back that crappy iBook SE while they fix my monitor. Damn BTOs...

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2003, 12:58 AM

Originally posted by The Placid Casual:
I can't believe that this is such a widespread issue! It is all over the Mac boards around the net...

I thought it was quite rare, but the 'white spot' problem seems like an epidemic... It seems that a buyer is lucky to get a decent machine first time! Can't remember an identical fault causing this much hassle and posts before.

Wow. Apple must be losing stacks on this...

Hope Apple get this sorted before the press get hold of it...

Peace,

TPC
I'm in the same boat as you are, only I have the 667Mhz. It's crazy but this is one of those times where I am so glad I didn't jump in to buy the first version of a new product. It is very sad to hear of those loyal (and new) Mac users who have been affected by the "dreaded White spots."

If the white spots issue reported here on MacNN is any indication then I think Apple should recall the Al 15". As a recent switcher of 1 year, I am sadden to see Apple churning out substandard products (first 10.2.8, and now this). Yes, I know that not everyone is affected, but it seems a growing number of the 15" Al PowerBooks are afflicted with one or a combination of issues (white spots, dead pixels, short battery life, latch problems).

I don't know who is charge of quality control over at Apple now, but they better get it together. This could end up biting them in the A$$. Apple, as a platform and a company, has always pride itself on producing products that were unsurpassed in quality and execution. I hope they have not lost sight of this.

Sakino
Senior User
Oct 10, 2003, 01:27 AM

Originally posted by moofman:
Mine are getting worse and worse... they started out being just three little dots and a blurry line in the middle, now it looks like I've got a smiling cyclops with white, rosy cheeks and its REALLY noticeable.

Grrr... I really don't wanna have to go back that crappy iBook SE while they fix my monitor. Damn BTOs...
You can see mine on any color now. They have also gotten A LOT LARGER??! And one more is starting to form. I asked for a replacement, and they said no.

Lorinserbenz  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 10, 2003, 11:44 AM

I guess it's strike three for me. After four days of use the THIRD PB I have is now starting to show white spots. They started as 3 very small spots, one is 4x its original size the other 2 are double. They are nearly as big or noticable as my other two units which one has a red line in as well, but they still bug me.
I am not a anal person, I just do not want to have a lcd failure 6 months down the road. I am going to give it till Sunday to see if they get any bigger, I'll get the 17 inch if they do.
I wonder if they will give me a problem seeing as this makes three machines for me??

mdewberry
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2003, 01:19 PM

Originally posted by TheIceMan:
I don't know who is charge of quality control over at Apple now, but they better get it together. This could end up biting them in the A$$. Apple, as a platform and a company, has always pride itself on producing products that were unsurpassed in quality and execution. I hope they have not lost sight of this.
Hi all,

Fyi - due to my problems described above in this post, I called Apple Customer Relations to escalate this issue, and to ensure that I did not have my LCD replaced by AppleCare with another screen with white spots. She sounded very suprised and concerned, and stated that she was not aware of this problem. I don't know how well known this throughout Apple at this point. She promised to look into this, and I informed her that there is a Apple Knowledge base article about the issue.

I really, really, hope they have snagged the issue, and the replacement LCD screens will not have the same problem.

Mike

Lorinserbenz  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 10, 2003, 10:52 PM

Replaced my third and final 15 inch AL with a 17 inch 1.33. It is PERFECT! No screen issues, no mouse button issues, no latch problems or anything else...
While I was in the Apple store the woman that took care of me wrote on a piece of paper for the return "KNOWN ISSUE" and some other numbers. I am to assume that Apple knows there is some sort if problem with the 15 inch Powerbooks. It would be nice if Apple could at least acknowledge this. I prefer the 15 over the 17 but I need a unit the works and is put together correctly....

machem
Forum Regular
Oct 11, 2003, 12:44 AM

Hey bcaslis, how is your machine doing? You got a new one 10/1 (I think). Any spots show up in the last week or so?

amazing
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2003, 01:07 AM

I used to think that Apple was seeding the refurb market, given all the returns they've got to be getting, but now I know I'll never trust a 15" refurb albook!

That's sad...

sunfood
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2003, 06:07 AM

Hi everyone.

I left my beautiful Ti 800 in a tent, high above the ground believing it was safe when a rain shower drenshed the whole tent. When seeing the catastrophy I quickly removed the battery and tried to dry the PB out with a hair dryer. (I first had to actually pour water out of it!)

When making the first attempt to start it, it started and the only thing I could see that was wrong was that almost half of the screen had a white wavy area which obviously was moisture.

I tried to dry it even more but the coming weeks this area slowly went away by itself. I still have a small spot of this white at the top of my screen and I believe that the moisture connected one layer of the screen with the netal enclosure and thus creates this white area.

Maybe there is a mositure issue with the new screens? Please Apple, check this out since I am in the process of getting a 15" within a week or so and want to know what is done about this.

Lorinserbenz  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 11, 2003, 08:59 AM

I would wait two weeks before buying a 15 inch Al. Apple knows the white spots are an issue, so they are fixing it. There is a 10 day wait for one from the Apple store which would imply thye are changing something.

cing2x
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2003, 12:44 PM

I would wait two weeks before buying a 15 inch Al. Apple knows the white spots are an issue, so they are fixing it. There is a 10 day wait for one from the Apple store which would imply thye are changing something.
well, when i called, they still pretended like they didn't know what was going on. they'd make some calls they said and would get back to me in a couple of days. uh-huh.
15" AlumiBook | 1.25Ghz | 512 | 80 | SD | Sweetness

leamanc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2003, 01:03 PM

Am I the only one who has had no trouble with their new 15" PB? I've had it about two weeks now...no white spots...no horrible AirPort reception...everything's been great! Guess I'm lucky...

Lorinserbenz  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 11, 2003, 01:10 PM

the difference in quality between the 17 inch and the 15 inch AL is VERY noticeable. They Keyboard on the 17 feels better and all of the keys are level unlike all three 15 inch Al's I had. I think the 15 inch Als were rushed into production.
I really liked the size of the 15 but I will not have a subpar notebook for $2500. The issue with the white spots is a KNOWN ISSUE, do not take NO for an answer if you want to swap units. I never lost my cool, spoke very nice to everyone that helped me and in turn they were all very helpful. If you take your unit to an Apple store they and can show the problem there is nothing they can do but swap you or exchange for another unit.

mdewberry
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2003, 02:02 PM

the difference in quality between the 17 inch and the 15 inch AL is VERY noticeable. They Keyboard on the 17 feels better and all of the keys are level unlike all three 15 inch Al's I had. I think the 15 inch Als were rushed into production.
I really liked the size of the 15 but I will not have a subpar notebook for $2500. The issue with the white spots is a KNOWN ISSUE, do not take NO for an answer if you want to swap units. I never lost my cool, spoke very nice to everyone that helped me and in turn they were all very helpful. If you take your unit to an Apple store they and can show the problem there is nothing they can do but swap you or exchange for another unit.
Hi Lorinserbenz -

Nicely done getting the 17"Pb. I wish I could afford to do that, but I stretched myself getting the 1.25Ghz vs. the 1Ghz laptop. My Pb has been sent to AppleCare three times for issues - if it needs to go back again I may push them to upgrade me to the 17" for all the friggin frustration that they have caused me!

Enjoy your new 17"!

wanderlust
Forum Regular
Oct 11, 2003, 02:09 PM

When the 22" flat screens first came out several years ago, I had a small white ghost on the top left of the screen. I never did anything about it and had never seen another one until now. I'm not sure, but I think what's happening is that the LCD is somehow getting bruised, which makes sense, since it seems that the shipping foam is pushing too hard into the Al's screen as it's being shipped. I'm sure Apple doesn't want another TiBook debacle on their hands (the screens were so easily permanently marked by the keyboards in the early models) that they're looking at a future change. But that won't likely happen until the 15" rev B. I'd recommend not throwing the dice and waiting for the next edition of the 15" AlBook. Or, if you can't wait, buy one at a Brick and Mortar and open the thing right in front of everyone so you can get a replacement right away. And there's always a different screen size, though I know that's a little hard to swallow for some. The five 17ers", and none of the 20 or so 12"ers I've worked with have seen these "ghosts".

Cheers

Lorinserbenz  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 11, 2003, 02:15 PM

Originally posted by mdewberry:
Hi Lorinserbenz -

Nicely done getting the 17"Pb. I wish I could afford to do that, but I stretched myself getting the 1.25Ghz vs. the 1Ghz laptop. My Pb has been sent to AppleCare three times for issues - if it needs to go back again I may push them to upgrade me to the 17" for all the friggin frustration that they have caused me!

Enjoy your new 17"!
I did have to pay the difference, which at this point did not matter because I was tired of all the hassle, now my credit card is maxed
What bugs me is I had a 17 inch revA and NEVER had a problem. Build quality was excellent and the screen was perfect. i guess the 15 inch Al's are built in a different plant where the quality control is not good.
( Last edited by Lorinserbenz; Oct 11, 2003 at 04:00 PM. )

mdewberry
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2003, 03:21 PM

Hi Wanderlust,

That would make sense. I did not have the white spot issue until my Powerbook was sent back to Apple Care twice. The issue could be occurring during shipping...

Lorinserbenz  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 11, 2003, 06:48 PM

Originally posted by mdewberry:
Hi Wanderlust,

That would make sense. I did not have the white spot issue until my Powerbook was sent back to Apple Care twice. The issue could be occurring during shipping...
I thought it might be happening during shipping too. However my last two 15 inch Als were PERFECT out of the box, it took 3-4 days for the spots to form. The worst one had five spots and neat red vertical line. I think the problem is in assembly and the opening and closing of the screen. I noticed that the 15 had much more tension than the 17 does on the hinge mech. All three 15 AL's i had, had bowed screens (uneven on each side when closed).

bcaslis
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 11, 2003, 07:02 PM

Yes, I did get a new one on 10/1. Just checked it again with Pixel Check and it looks fine. Nothing new has appeared. It's been fine since I got it with no problems. I've taken it on two plane trips since then and it's been a champ. I'm sure that there were problems in initial batches, but I think this is a really great machine (expect for poor battery life).

Originally posted by machem:
Hey bcaslis, how is your machine doing? You got a new one 10/1 (I think). Any spots show up in the last week or so?

Forum Links
Forum Rules