Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Any idea what the hold up is with 12" PB's?

Any idea what the hold up is with 12" PB's?
Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 12, 2003, 04:57 PM

Seems rev B 12" PB's are only just about trickling into the stores. Well, for you Americans that is. Over here in drizzly old England there is none around at all. In fact, I am pretty sure none have arrived in any of Europe. There are plenty of 15's and 17's, but not a single 12".. I ordered mine from a dealer (wont order direct from Apple anymore, their shipping methods are crap here). But the dealer has no idea when they will arrive. And my guestimated delivery date just keeps getting shunted back. This is a far cry from the "Available right now" that Jobs himself said just across the water over there in Paris some weeks ago.
Ok, I know i'm being impatient! But if anyone has a clue what the problem is, i'd sure be curious to find out..
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

MacsGalor
Senior User
Oct 12, 2003, 10:16 PM

Some of the 15" Albooks have had problems with the display (whitespots) it is possible that this also effected the 12" machines. Apple may be taking a little while to address and kill this issue. But I am at the very bottom of the food chain, having no ties to inside info. So I may be way off

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2003, 11:18 PM

I just got a few of the 12" and 15" PowerBooks in the CompUSA in Detroit.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2003, 06:07 AM

Grrr, exact same problems here in Switzerland.

My dealer has received only 2 single 12" PowerBooks (and that was on 10/6 btw), and of course I was #3 on the waiting list. So I keep getting his estimates and they keep on passing, I get new estimates, and so on and so forth...

It really sucks. The way I understand is that Apple delivers to Europe with lower priority than to the US and within Europe they go by country size. Germany, France, etc. first.

The problem is not even that the PowerBooks are not in store yet, it's that there are tons of backorders that aren't even close to being delivered. I can't understand that US stores have PowerBooks on display when European pre-orders haven't been fulfilled yet.

The wait continues until Steve suddenly discovers one day that the European market share is zero. Cheers.
( Last edited by Simon; Oct 13, 2003 at 06:13 AM. )

michael_on_mac
Oct 13, 2003, 06:42 AM

Well, mine is about to be delivered to me (Germany). It's been tracked to the distribution center next to my home, so once I get back, it should wait for me there!

Best, Michael.

PS: "Grrr", we all know that England is not Old Europe. In fact I'm surprised to hear about your case.

desillusion.com
Oct 13, 2003, 07:52 AM

me in germany, ordered at cancom, same thing..
guestimated (*g) shipping date 7-10 october, the dealer called me on 10-09 and said apple wasn't delivering and they have no clue when that will be the case.. he said at this time, no 12" were delivered in germany.

@michael_on_mac: sounds interesting. did you order directly via the apple store, or at a retailer? post some pics, when you get yours..
finally here and absolutely flawless:
powerbook 12" 1ghz rev b combo 768 mb ram bt-mouse

michael_on_mac
Oct 13, 2003, 08:04 AM

Originally posted by desillusion.com:

@michael_on_mac: sounds interesting. did you order directly via the apple store, or at a retailer? post some pics, when you get yours..
I ordered BTO (harddisk) via the Luebeck located dealer.

They say they are shipping their (somewhat) larger contingent since last week.

Michael.

PS: Cancom is desillusionating, right?

SunilC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2003, 08:13 AM

I ordered my 12" PB (it's a built to order) here in England from the Apple Education Store on the 16th of September and it finally shipped on the 9th of October, hopefully I should receive it this week. Fingers crossed!

Sunil.

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 13, 2003, 10:18 AM

A good friend of mine has been waiting for about 6wks for his 12" Powerbook (bto).

What's bugging him even more is he ordered it a little while before the updates were announced, so he's itching to find out if he'll get the 867 or 1gig version. + he visits me pretty often and still has to admire mine, despite having already paid for his own

To all those waiting, TOTALLY worth the wait...
tin pot, garden shed

Skypat
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 13, 2003, 10:37 AM

It is *always* the same old story with Apple. They announce good products and they are *never* able to deliver it on time. My dad ordered a dual 2 ghz G5 early August. They said "end of the month", then "mid-september" then "end of the month" then "in 2 weeks". Now we are mid-October and ... nothing. How dare they treat customers like that !!! I am a very loyal customer and bought several machines in the past few years. I also evangelize Apple as much as I can but their product announcement policy does really s*
S k y p a t

qvr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2003, 11:04 AM

Originally posted by Grrr:
Seems rev B 12" PB's are only just about trickling into the stores. Well, for you Americans that is. Over here in drizzly old England there is none around at all. In fact, I am pretty sure none have arrived in any of Europe.
Not true, mine arrived last tuesday.

zilmer
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2003, 12:13 PM

You got 12" in Helsinki???? 80km away in Tallinn, Estonia I have been waiting for 12" PB since August 4. Can you bloody believe this? It is more than two months... What the f**k is going on Apple???

desillusion.com
Oct 13, 2003, 12:54 PM

PS: Cancom is desillusionating, right?
i went for cancom because they got me the best (=cheapest) edu-deal, and the new bt-mouse bundled for �39. nothing to complain yet, because i believe it's not their fault, i guess apple just hasn't delivered them yet...

michael_on_mac
Oct 14, 2003, 06:46 AM

So, here it is!

My new 12" PB (BTO) just arrived. I didn't switch it on yet, as it is still deep-frozen...

But at least it doesn't warp on my table - hope there are no / not too annoying dead pixels!

Image here!

Edit: No stuck pixels so far
( Last edited by michael_on_mac; Oct 14, 2003 at 07:47 AM. )

desillusion.com
Oct 14, 2003, 09:20 AM

awesome, hope i'll get mine soon too.. apple should really turn their machines on and start producing some more 12"ers..

michael_on_mac
Oct 14, 2003, 10:41 AM

Another impression?

Here it is: I also know the IBM A30 Thinkpads pretty well - in comparison, the Powerbook has an annoying fan - constantly on under 10.2.7 and mains power. The speed varies slightly, but the temperature stays constantly around 48 �C (machine is only downloading updates).

Unfortunately, the bass reflex system is especially efficient for the fan noise

Michael.

PS: I also got some desillusionating software experiences - but that I'll put to the sw forum...

Grrr  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 14, 2003, 02:20 PM

Nice to hear that some people in Europe have been getting hold of them. But lets face it, they are clearly still in very short supply. And still no clues as to what the hold up is in aid of
I did toy with getting a 15" pb instead, but I like the diddyness of the 12". Plus the 15's would appear to be absolutely dogged with problems right now.
So I'll be holding out for the 12" then..
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

michael_on_mac
Oct 14, 2003, 03:50 PM

So, I played around with the machine a little longer, did the (usual?) OS reinstall to get things smooth - so far it works again!

I did also experience the better battery prognosis under 10.2.8, as well as the fan being off on battery. That is fairly strange, as with the same temperature (use "temperature monitor" here), the fan is running while the power plugged in.

Howsoever, wish you a nice night (on this continent at least)...

Michael.

Forum Links
Forum Rules