Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > No New Powerbooks Until...End of November? That blows!

No New Powerbooks Until...End of November? That blows!
iWrite
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2003, 09:05 AM

Read here.

I had one and returned it because I didn't like some things and have decided to wait for a revision model so this doesn't even affect me...

But, if this information (link above) is true and correct, then this really blows for people who are trying to buy these things.

Why can't Apple produce and deliver in a more timely manner?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 15, 2003, 09:18 AM

Originally posted by iWrite:
Here's my guess.

Apple wants two things: Cheap production and Steve's ego to be fine.

The first requires them to have as few wharehouses and stock as possible. For them the best would be to produce after you order, thus they don't produce much in advance at all. They also produce cheaper by only making 30,000 per month. They could have more be produced at a time, but it's cheaper not to.

The second requires Steve to be able to suprise everybody with new products. If Apple would start producing in advance the wharehouses would fill up and eventually somebody would spread word and by the time Steve gets on stage everybody knows the "secret" already. And that pisses Steve off.

It all boils down to this:

Joe Sixpack: Oh cool, a nice new PowerBook.
AppleStore: Ah, yep, it's great.
Joe Sixpack: I'll take it.
AppleStore: Sorry, sir. You'll have to wait for another two months till we can actually ship it.
Joe Sixpack: Ah shucks. I'll check the PC store next door.
PC Store: Here's a cheap POS PC. You can have it right now.
Joe Sixpack: Thanks. Nice thing, i'll take it.

Meanwhile, we Mac faithfuls just wait and wait and wait... Basically, Steve is screwing us, but since we really want a Mac, we put up with it.

Forum Regular
Oct 15, 2003, 09:48 AM

Steve, screw the Mac faithful.. surely not, the man only took $1 salary last year, it's not his fault if the board forced him to take massive $XXX,XXX,XXXX bonus.

bamchum
Forum Regular
Oct 15, 2003, 10:15 AM

This is typical for new Apple hardware. They are always in short supply.

What was not typical was the availability of the new machines right after the announcement. Clearly during the 9-month delay, Apple had built up a stock of the machines. I'm guessing that they delayed the release date precisely so that they would have a stock of them.

The fact that the quarter ended on Sept. 30 no doubt had a lot to do with the easy availability.

hadocon
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2003, 10:17 AM

This really does blow if it is true. I was planning on ordering a 15" any day now with my ADC discount. I would love to see a copy of the email in question so I know exactly what Apple said.

Can anyone confirm this?
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 15, 2003, 10:19 AM

The original article does mention that the email was to a reseller in Sweden.

The issue may not arise in the US or other countries.

EvanV
Forum Regular
Oct 15, 2003, 10:20 AM

"This is in Sweden by the way, might be different in other parts of the world."

People are ordering today and still getting ship dates in October here.. He said he ordered in middle of September....

janmc
Oct 15, 2003, 10:24 AM

I have to say that there seem to be delays here in Ireland too. My ship date keeps getting pushed back as well.

hadocon
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2003, 10:29 AM

Originally posted by EvanV:
"This is in Sweden by the way, might be different in other parts of the world."

People are ordering today and still getting ship dates in October here.. He said he ordered in middle of September....

That is good to hear. I am in Canada - hopefully I will be able to get one (without flaws) ASAP!
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

EvanV
Forum Regular
Oct 15, 2003, 10:31 AM

Originally posted by hadocon:

That is good to hear. I am in Canada - hopefully I will be able to get one (without flaws) ASAP!
Me too! I ordered on the 26th but it was mysteriously cancelled from lack of payment (sent via air mail), so I phoned back and the people treated me like garbage and said they can't do anything about it (I qualified for the rebate). So I sent '[email protected]' a large email explaining my situation and last night, Executive Relations at Apple called me yesterday to help me sort it out

I just hope that I can still get my PowerBook this month -- with the rebate!

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2003, 11:12 AM

I'm just wondering right now what they will come up with comes Jan. Macworld Expo. I don't think they will talk about G5 Powerbooks yet, as it will take longer than that to make those CPUs. But you never know...

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

EvanV
Forum Regular
Oct 15, 2003, 11:14 AM

I don't think we will see anything about a G5 PowerBook for another 8-10 months. But you never know.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2003, 12:10 PM

Yesterday I was considering a 15" Alu because of the illuminated keyboard option, and I was in a dark lecture theatre...

I called Apple and was told there was a minimum 3 week wait for a UK BTO model...

No good enough. Although they did offer �200 off...!

Peace,

Marc

wavegroom
Oct 15, 2003, 12:34 PM

I ordered mine 15" on the 25. september, apple got the money on the 2. okt and it shipped yesterday from taipei. So how long does it takes from taipei to switzerland?

On my applestore site it says shipping via: TNT Nederland, but when I click on the link it says KUEHNE & NAGEL HIGH TECH LOGISTICS.

Is there any way I can track it, except the one on https://applestore.bridge-point.com.
Stage 4 * Shipping * 15" Alu / 1.25GHZ / Superdrive / 5400 RPM Disk

PoisonTooth
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 15, 2003, 12:48 PM

Read here.

I had one and returned it because I didn't like some things and have decided to wait for a revision model so this doesn't even affect me...

But, if this information (link above) is true and correct, then this really blows for people who are trying to buy these things.

This also applies to dual G5s as well. So essentially what's being said here is that you can't get Apple's best computers for another 45 days or later. Nice.

Makes me wonder if I should go ahead with my plan to purchase a new 15" PB and dual G5 at all. I would imagine those buying before the holiday rush have a serious chance at getting burned in Jan when Apple could update the PB and (possibly) the high-end G5.

If true, this is a little something we call shitty service.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 16, 2003, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by wavegroom:
Is there any way I can track it, except the one on https://applestore.bridge-point.com.
In short: No.

TNT works together with Kuehne & Nagel. The tracking number you get from Apple will not work on the K&N page.

The tracking info from TNT/Apple sucks btw. My last order showed a delay of 24-48h between tracking info and actual location. And certain locations were downright wrong (like delivery in Zurich, but tracking claims delivery was in Utrecht, Holland).

Sorry, but I guess you'll just have to be patient. Look at the positive side: Yours has already shipped. Mine was ordered on 9/16 and has still not shipped.
( Last edited by Simon; Oct 16, 2003 at 10:30 AM. )

bigben1024
Oct 16, 2003, 11:05 AM

I read somewhere that because the macworld expo was not in newyork, that apple would not participate.
If they only make 30k at a time, why wouldn't they tell us if there is a new one coming out?
I am about to switch to a pb, and it would extremely piss me off buying a pb now and finding out I could have gotten a far better one for a little more.
I have seen some sites that claim that because of the heating issues, it will be a while before the G5s make it to the portables.
If people are anxious about buying a computer because they think a new one might come out within the next 3 months, wouldn't this hurt apple?
I feel that apple has the best quality of products, and their marketing is becoming better than the past, but I think they could do better.
Why don't they start marketing the benefits for programmers to purchase one of their systems?
<fancy signature here>

RealMadrid
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 16, 2003, 11:21 AM

Well, something similar seems to happen in Spain.

Just a week ago I ordered a new PB 12' by my local store, that happens to also be one of the big distributors for Apple in Spain. They told me it should be here in about 5-7 days as the AppleStore stated. Today they told me Apple is not shipping any computer to them! Not PB, nor G4, nor G5.

I can only imagine they are delaying shipment to get them out of the door with Panther.

Time will tell.
Check out www.basasoft.com products:
CodeLine (Do Cocoa programming in BASIC)
BasaOne 2.0
AFDragHandler 1.1
BasaOne Web Classes

mac_pt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2003, 12:05 PM

Well, something similar seems to happen in Spain.

Just a week ago I ordered a new PB 12' by my local store, that happens to also be one of the big distributors for Apple in Spain. They told me it should be here in about 5-7 days as the AppleStore stated. Today they told me Apple is not shipping any computer to them! Not PB, nor G4, nor G5.

I can only imagine they are delaying shipment to get them out of the door with Panther.

Time will tell.
The same thing happened to me here in Portugal.

Last week I went to my local store and ordered a 12" PB and they told me it should be here today.
A little while ago I called them and they told me that there would be no PB (12, 15 or 17 inch) shipped to Portugal before November 10.

hadocon
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2003, 01:39 PM

I am about to orde a 15" on my ADC account. The Canadian ADC store quotes a wait of 7-10 days. Can anyone confirm or deny shipment times in Canada?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2003, 07:29 PM

As of today our stocking orders look like this (ordering directly from Apple):

12" combo: 5-7 days
12" SD: 5-7 days
15" 1GHz combo: 3-5 days
15" 1.25GHz SD: 7-10 days
17": 5-7 days

So far over the last couple weeks they've been "spot on" regarding the delivery dates. That's really not too bad.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

hadocon
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2003, 08:21 PM

I just placed my order for a 15" 1.25 Ghz, 5K80 HD, 2x256MB, AE, BT, ComboDrive

I was quoted an OOB date of October 30th.

gskinner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2003, 08:42 PM

I purchased a 12" on Oct 11th from the Canadian Apple store (BTO with 80gb and superdrive). The site said 5-7days when I bought it.

When I checked my order status, it said it would ship on or before Oct 23, but when I checked again yesterday, it had shipped and is most of the way here now (I hope it makes it here before the weekend).

Cheers.

fraeone
Oct 17, 2003, 03:45 AM

Maybe, just maybe, the PBs and G5s are in short supply because they're selling better than Apple expected. Market share is up, sales & profits are up, could it be that Apple is getting more popular?! God forbid!

Be patient, and be happy that Apple is doing lots of business.

hadocon
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2003, 10:01 AM

I just asked local reseller for Ontario mostlydigital about the supply issues for Canada. This is the email I received this morning:

Thre is a delay on the powerBook 15" nad 12" models as sales are outselling supply. REalistically, as I spoke to the regional manager from Apple regarding this issue, there will be a 2-3 week delay on these.

We have several of these on order, however, we are pre-selling units prior to their arrival. So, if you plan to puchase one in the next little while, I would suggest, that to ensue you receive one, place an order with me at your earliest convenience.

iWrite  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2003, 10:57 AM

My local Apple Store here in Florida says nothing coming in "until November 15th as a close estimate."

I don't get it?

Basically, I think it's BS.

This is the thing: People who don't understand what the hell is going on with Apple are going to order PBs as gifts in December and they're going to be in for one hell of a surprise when that fabulous gift they wanted to give away just doesn't show up on time.

Apple should get their crap together.

I feel sorry for you folks, actually.

Another thought...could it be that there is a shipping delay due to problems they're trying to fix? Mine had a serious problem with battery drain and the LCD would dim down after 50% of the battery was used (after 1 hour) automatically.

They said it "was normal," but they let me return it. Apparently they shipped it back to Apple also.

Macbear
Oct 17, 2003, 11:23 AM

Here's something odd. If you try ordering a stock 12" Powerbook with the 40 gig drive from the Canadian Apple Store, it gives an estimate of 7 - 10 days for shipping.

If you configure it with the 60 or 80 gig drive, the wait goes down to a 2 - 3 day estimate.

Very puzzling. If anything, I thought the CTO Powerbooks were the ones that would be affected by this current delay. Perhaps Apple's estimates are rather "optimistic".

All I know is I ordered a stock 12" Powerbook with Superdrive from the University of Western Ontario computer store on October 3, and it still hasn't arrived. I'm praying I'm not going to have to wait till mid November now.
Macbear
Creative Writer - Bon Vivant

desillusion.com
Oct 17, 2003, 11:33 AM

stop complaining y'all..

i ordered my 12" shortly after the keynote and still don't have a gueranteed shipping date

why does apple still treat european customers like 2nd class citizens?!
finally here and absolutely flawless:
powerbook 12" 1ghz rev b combo 768 mb ram bt-mouse

iWrite  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2003, 11:36 AM

That is weird, Macbear. Hope it arrives soon for you.

Me, I'm VERY pleased with my 14-inch aluminum (versus plastic on the latest models) 14-inch iBook. It runs really well, Airport reception is the best of any Mac portable I've ever had, and it never gets hot.

Sometimes the latest thing isn't always the best thing, unfortunately. I found that out the hard way.

What is happening to people if they find out that their order is months off and they want to cancel...will Apple let people cancel BTO orders?

Saleo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2003, 03:54 PM

I ordered my 15" PB 1.25 on OCT 10 and it says that it will ship on or before November 04TH. I was hoping to get it waaay earlier then that. And this is from Canada for those Canadians wondering.

hadocon
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2003, 04:38 PM

Originally posted by Saleo:
I ordered my 15" PB 1.25 on OCT 10 and it says that it will ship on or before November 04TH. I was hoping to get it waaay earlier then that. And this is from Canada for those Canadians wondering.
That is weird. Why is mine supposed to arrive before yours? I ordered 6 days after you.

Sakino
Senior User
Oct 17, 2003, 07:38 PM

Hmmm maybe there is a lot more doa or replacements then you guys think.
For one, all replacements have priority over all other powerbooks ordered. MY BTO replacement order was sent in tomorrow and is supposed to ship Wednesday. Therefore the question is, just how many replacements does apple have to make?
If this is the case, then apple is in some deep ****.

But look at shipping, its been slow since the release. So there is something wrong with production, or apple just cannot keep up with it. It seems as if apple needs to look over their growth department and expand their building plants if you ask me. Therefore release new lines of everything at about every 3-4 months? This would be a good way to take over the market if you ask me.

EvanV
Forum Regular
Oct 17, 2003, 09:22 PM

I got my order re-activated today (long story) and it ships 10/30/02.

Holy Zoo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2003, 10:16 PM

Me, I'm VERY pleased with my 14-inch aluminum (versus plastic on the latest models) 14-inch iBook.
Aluminum 14"? Really? I thought they've always been plastic, jusy changed the plastic color a bit at some point.

iWrite  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2003, 09:31 AM

It's a combination of aluminum and plastic. The bottom and the top (LCD) are aluminum covered by clear plastic. The top of the bottom case (around the keyboard) is aluminum. Around the LCD it is aluminum covered by clear plastic. The whole thing has an aluminum look to it. Personally, if they made a Powerbook in the same way but with better features it would be truly awesome -- and would get scratched and dented a lot less.

romanesq
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2003, 10:13 AM

I can guess obviously a few factors, either combined or individual:

Panther is being loaded
Demand is far outpacing supply or has begun to seriously impace supply more so recently
Issues on quality control: returns, production problems, etc.

My guess is that demand is having a real affect as more and more people fall in love with what they didn't believe was possible: the love of the G4 PBs.

I know I did and it's an absolute pleasure even pre Panther.

But now I'm excited about Panther.
Well, aye hearrrrr you

beijinger
Oct 18, 2003, 10:27 AM

Any modern company looking for efficiency would have production planned on the basis of projections, hoping for the best supply chain management, Zero warehousing and other stuff that made Michael Dell billions.

The supply discrepencies may find its answer in the figures announced by Apple last week on shipments. Apple shipment of PBs outside the US had unexpected jump in large numbers. What this means is that the planners for global supply management would have wrong figures to work with on the shipments of new PBs to different parts of the world.

This is why many shops in the US still have units for walk in pick ups and supply running really short for other parts of the world.

Quinn
Oct 18, 2003, 10:29 AM

Originally posted by desillusion.com:
stop complaining y'all..

i ordered my 12" shortly after the keynote and still don't have a gueranteed shipping date

why does apple still treat european customers like 2nd class citizens?!
Normally I feel the same way as you about Apple and Europe but they pleasantly suprised me this time.

I took the 0% interest over 10 months offer and my order went through on the 9th Oct. It shipped on the 14th. I am tracking it now and its somewhere between the Netherlands and me in Italy.

Thats not bad at all. Stock 12" Combo PB btw. And my 12" Booq PowerSleeve arrived in the post this morning.

I'm starting to get worried that things are going too well! Hope all is ok with the PB :-)

Bonhomme7heures
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2003, 09:42 PM

Originally posted by hadocon:
I am about to orde a 15" on my ADC account. The Canadian ADC store quotes a wait of 7-10 days. Can anyone confirm or deny shipment times in Canada?

I ordered my 15" 1GHZ from my university store on the 6th of october. Just got the news that It will ship on the 27th from California and will be in Montreal for the 29th, approximately.

The major delay was cause by the keyboard. Since it's a french keyboard, it gets out "second" to english keyboards in the production process.

Once the powebook in... the PC desktop goes out the window..hihihi...

Macbear
Oct 20, 2003, 04:29 PM

Arrrggh!

Just spoke to the campus computer store at the University of Western Ontario. My 12" Powerbook with SD was supposed to be here today, (ordered on October 3), but now it looks like it won't be until sometime next week. (Around the 29th)

This sucks. The guy at the campus store confirmed what others have said; Apple has a 3 week backlog on Powerbook orders.

What irks me the most is that you can walk in to many stores in the U.S. and pick one up right now.

It's going to be a long week.
Macbear

iWrite  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2003, 07:27 AM

Keep us posted on when it arrives, MacBear.

So the "shipping in November" rumor is proving true, apparently.

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 21, 2003, 10:13 AM

Ordered yesterday and got "on or before 3 Nov". CTO'd 1Ghz/SD/AE/BLK on the US store. That's not the end of Nov but lets see when it actually ships.
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2003, 10:19 AM

Come in to the Detroit CompUSA store; we have all PowerBooks in stock, and have been getting fairly regular shipments.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

pptiger
Oct 21, 2003, 12:00 PM

This post is still here? My friends keep receiving their Powerbooks these days. It's such a big lie!

Macbear
Oct 21, 2003, 12:07 PM

It's not a lie if you live outside the U.S.

I only wish it was! I'd have my 12" today, instead of waiting at least another week. Believe me, if you're not in the continental U.S., there is a backlog on Powerbooks. I ordered on October 3rd, and I still have no confirmed ship date. Just an estimate.

This delay has been confirmed by several retailers here in Ontario. And if it's happening here in Canada, I can only imagine that the delays will be greater for Europe.

If I didn't need to take advantage of the educational discount, I'd be on my way to the Buffalo N.Y. store right now. But the promise of saving a couple of hundred bucks keeps me waiting.

Just not patiently waiting.
Macbear

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2003, 12:14 PM

Originally posted by pptiger:
This post is still here? My friends keep receiving their Powerbooks these days. It's such a big lie!
In the wild and mythical lands beyond the borders of the US, and in shock of shocks, Europe(!!), the Powerbooks are in very short supply indeed.

Mid November or even later is the current estimate for delivery on machines ordered today... :

People also still don't have their back orders yet especially on CTO models.

Big lie, umm, no...

Peace,

Marc

spatterson
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2003, 08:10 PM

Talked to the guys at the Apple store in Atlanta yesterday and they said they had the 15"PB in stock

BluThng
Oct 21, 2003, 08:36 PM

Originally posted by Macbear:
Arrrggh!

Just spoke to the campus computer store at the University of Western Ontario. My 12" Powerbook with SD was supposed to be here today, (ordered on October 3), but now it looks like it won't be until sometime next week. (Around the 29th)

This sucks. The guy at the campus store confirmed what others have said; Apple has a 3 week backlog on Powerbook orders.

What irks me the most is that you can walk in to many stores in the U.S. and pick one up right now.

It's going to be a long week.
Hey Macbear,

Good to see another Mac person at Western! I got my new powerbook from the Campus Computer Store on Sept. 27th and I ordered it right after the keynote.
iN THe eND, iT DoeSN'T ReaLLy MaTTeR

| PowerBook G4 | 15.2" | 1.25GHz | 512MB | Combo | 60GB | AE | BT |

(",)PB12
Oct 21, 2003, 08:45 PM

Hi BluThng and MacBear, I'm from Mac(McMaster). Ordered my 15" on 23rd, checked back with bookstore and they told me it was shipped on the 27th sept. Today is Oct 21st......I rest my case. Any of you heard rumours regarding the delay??? Its just ludicrous, that's all i shall say!

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 22, 2003, 11:59 AM

Originally posted by Crusoe:
Ordered yesterday and got "on or before 3 Nov". CTO'd 1Ghz/SD/AE/BLK on the US store. That's not the end of Nov but lets see when it actually ships.
Update: It Shipped! Ordered the 20th, Shipped today (the 22nd). Hmm the only difference between my CTO and a stock 1.25 is well, the .25 and a 256MB SODIMM. Maybe I got a lazy production guy who just pulled one of the SODIMMs.
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

Forum Links
Forum Rules