Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > buzzing from 12" powerbook

buzzing from 12" powerbook
chenyichung
Forum Regular
Apr 17, 2005, 02:25 AM

Hey guys,

i have a 1.33GHz 12" powerbook, i was scrolling through my DOCK with magnification activated, and i heard a buzzing sound coming from my keyboard. Also, when i scroll through websites, applications, basically anthing you can scroll through, i hear the same buzzing sound.

Any idea what this is?

Also, only happens on 12" powerbook, no buzzing sound from my gf's 1.33GHz 14" iBook.

-Yi Chen

drprat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2005, 02:29 AM

yea, i know what you're talking about... i think just about every pb has this issue... it sounds like the hd is seeking or something... i would consider "buzzing" a little too harsh of a description... it's a very light sound.... not sure if it has to do with virtual memory or what.... i don't think i've ever seen a resolution to this issue...

chenyichung  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 17, 2005, 02:34 AM

i don't think it's the HD, i'm just scrolling through stuff like website, document, or DOCK, stuff's all loaded, couldn't be the HD could it?

-Yi Chen

bovie
Forum Regular
Apr 17, 2005, 04:44 AM

Many desktops PC desktops do this, you can normaly on hear it with the case off. How loud is your buzzing? Do you have to be close to hear it?
iMac 20in, 2.0Ghz, 1.5GB Ram, Mac OS X 10.4 - Windows XP Pro
PowerBook 12in, 1.5Ghz G4, 1.25GB Ram, Mac OS X 10.4
PowerMac 1.3Ghz G4, 1GB Ram, Radeon 8500, OS X Server 10.4

chenyichung  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 17, 2005, 04:50 AM

when i'm in the library, i can hear it sitting normal distance from it

drprat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2005, 03:17 PM

the only reason i say it's the hd is because that's where it sounds like it's coming from.... mine isn't as audible as yours however (i need to have my head relatively close to the laptop).... althought that is a very subjective thing....

and to clarify for any of you who aren't sure what we're talking about; it's a very low buzzing sound that is only heard if you're scrolling or gliding your mouse over the dock (magnification on)... it's not those standard random buzzing noises... it's something that can be induced by performing the aforementioned tasks...

bovie
Forum Regular
Apr 17, 2005, 04:16 PM

Could be good old fason Processor Squel. I don't have a sound like that coming from my new 1.5Ghz 12inch but many other Powerbooks have it. You can call apple care and ask them to fix it but, I don't think it is anything to worry about.

Bov

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 17, 2005, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by chenyichung
Hey guys,

i have a 1.33GHz 12" powerbook, i was scrolling through my DOCK with magnification activated, and i heard a buzzing sound coming from my keyboard. Also, when i scroll through websites, applications, basically anthing you can scroll through, i hear the same buzzing sound.

Any idea what this is?

Also, only happens on 12" powerbook, no buzzing sound from my gf's 1.33GHz 14" iBook.

-Yi Chen
Set your CPU performance to "auto". The buzzing is related to the CPU working at max or being in the state "highest". In auto, you will still hear it from time to time, tough only when the cpu is under stress.

chenyichung  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 17, 2005, 06:58 PM

tried putting it on auto, buzzing sound still there and just as loud. Still can hear it with my head at normal distance away from screen.

i had same problem on my Dell PC laptop, just had ta disable some USB power waking function under device manager. Anthing like that on a mac?

-Yi Chen

spreadlight
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2005, 08:31 PM

I thought the cpu speed setting was G5 specific...
If not, where do you set it on your PB??

chenyichung  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 17, 2005, 08:38 PM

go to energy saver, options, and processor performance, you can choose from highest, auto, or reduced

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 18, 2005, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by chenyichung
tried putting it on auto, buzzing sound still there and just as loud. Still can hear it with my head at normal distance away from screen.

i had same problem on my Dell PC laptop, just had ta disable some USB power waking function under device manager. Anthing like that on a mac?

-Yi Chen
Do you get the buzzing sound when running off battery or is it only when plugged in?

phoenix78
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 18, 2005, 11:20 AM

guys...

the noise has nothing to do with your processor lol... there are NO MOVING parts inside a processor. just transistors...

I have had this issue on my windows pc when i have opened too many applications and my ram is chokkers full and my hard drive starts getting into 'disk swapping' mode ( i think that is what it is called-- correct me if i am wrong).

So.. possibilities are that something is going wrong with memory management; you may have not enough virtual memory; perhaps the hard drive is fullish... anything along the lines of causing your computer to have to resort to using your hard drive.

perhaps doing a clean re-install of your sysytem is a solution to get rid of corrupted software.

Thats my guess. Hope it gives you a few ideas.

cheers.
rob

Thorin
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 18, 2005, 11:34 AM

Yup, I have that on my 12" Rev B, only noticed it across the dock though. It is very odd. If you start to scroll along from left to right, the noise is produced, the instant you stop scrolling so does it, the instant you resume so does it. Very odd.

Seems to me to be coming from the left palm wrest. What's in there?
12" Rev B PB

bovie
Forum Regular
Apr 18, 2005, 01:04 PM

My Old rev. b did it but, I don't think my rev. d does.

chenyichung  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 18, 2005, 04:30 PM

hey guys,

so yea, the noise is coming from the left side of the keyboard/palmrest area. I dunno if it's like a buzzing sound, or more like a really fast clicking sounds. If clicking sound, could actually be the HD. But i don't understand why the HD is used when all you're doing is scrolling through the DOCK magnified or up and down a website or document. I'm taking my 12" powerbook into my apple store next week ta have them fix a lid and LCD screen alignment problem, i'll ask them what could cause' this buzzing/clicking sound.

-Yi Chen

ps. sorry ta have brought this up for those who hadn't noticed it before

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 18, 2005, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by phoenix78
guys...

the noise has nothing to do with your processor lol... there are NO MOVING parts inside a processor. just transistors...

cheers.
rob
I'm sorry, but you are wrong. You are right about the lack of moving parts inside the CPU, but you missed the fact that sound is just moving or vibrating air, measured in Herz (Hz). The classic buzzing sound from PowerBooks and G5's is related to the CPU dynamic throttling and possibly the CPU voltage regulator. It is a well known issue and there is at least about ten therads about it in this forum alone. Whether the noise the therad-starter experiences is hard drive related or related to the CPU is difficult to know without having experienced it first hand. However, from the description of "clicking noises" I guess hard drive related. The CPU buzzing is a faint highpitched buzzing sound noticeable in quiet environments.

drprat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 18, 2005, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Sophus
Whether the noise the therad-starter experiences is hard drive related or related to the CPU is difficult to know without having experienced it first hand. However, from the description of "clicking noises" I guess hard drive related. The CPU buzzing is a faint highpitched buzzing sound noticeable in quiet environments.

That's the problem i guess; the people who are experiencing this issue (like me) have trouble describing it... Sound is extremely qualitative... The person who started this thread makes his "buzzing" sound a lot louder and more likely from the hd.... The buzzing I hear is quite low pitched; the only reason i suspect the hd is because that's where the sound appears to be coming from... Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the hd on a 12" located in the bottom left hand side (below the keyboard and to the left of the trackpad)? If i only had an external mic at my uni rez i would have recorded this noise already...

Whereever the sound is coming from, I suspect that it is not an issue to be concerned of... More just an innocent glitch... It's been there since day 1 and I haven't experienced any other negative side effects due to it...

Josh Reid
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 19, 2005, 12:44 PM

I have the same noise on my Rev B 12" PB. It's definitely not hard drive noise. If my memory is correct, the sound almost reminds me of a very faint version of the 'Platinum Sounds' scrolling sound from OS 9. It's like a rolling click, like a baseball card in the spoke of a bicycle except VERY faint. However, in comparing it to system sounds from OS 9 I'm not saying it is an intentional noise, because it doesn't come from the computer's speakers. I'm guessing many people don't even notice it. It is quieter than the fan and the hard disk, but once you notice it, you never DON'T notice it again...ah well.

nica
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 19, 2005, 02:04 PM

I have the same issue on my 15� PowerBook it started a couple of weeks ago. I would describe the sound as a sharp sizzle sound. It does not seem to be related to CPU performance, CPU workload, battery/power or screen.

I would like to know if anybody has considered taking their laptop to Apple for repair and if they would repair it? I thought I was alone on this issue but it seems that there are a few of us having this problem.

Thorin
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2005, 05:56 PM

I had a quick listen to my housemate's 12" Rev B the other day, and it does it as well.
12" Rev B PB

drprat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 19, 2005, 09:45 PM

i have a feeling that all pre-2005 pbs do it (not sure about 17" tho)... it's just a matter of listening carefully for the right sound... my guess is still some sort of seeking action by hd.... nothing to be concerned of tho...

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2005, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by bovie
Could be good old fason Processor Squel. I don't have a sound like that coming from my new 1.5Ghz 12inch but many other Powerbooks have it. You can call apple care and ask them to fix it but, I don't think it is anything to worry about.

Bov

I've had this happen with both of my Powerbooks, although I haven't heard it as much on the 1.67.

Forum Links
Forum Rules