Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > AppleCare for Powerbooks

AppleCare for Powerbooks
StonedRose
Apr 19, 2005, 05:15 PM

Ok. Here is what is going on. Should I be a little peeved at my situation. On March 24th my 17, 1.5 128MB video PB failed to boot of the HD. I suspect a bad HD and recovered the data. I had to put it on its side to slowly get the drive recognized and the data pulled. Anyhow, that is not the problem. I could have just backed up. So I get my dispatch # via Apple and I ship the thing off. On April the 4th, they received the PB and send me an email saying that the repair is on hold waiting for a hard drive (80GB 5400). ETA the 22nd. I was pretty shocked by that. I figure if I sent it in it would be faster than taking it in to the local reseller, plus I suspected a 2 part repair since the unit was not toning on boot. So I call again today, and get the usual. Still waiting on the hard drive to come in. So I will be down almost a month just waiting for the HD. So I travel down to the local reseller. He logs into GSX (Global Service Exchange) and puts a claim in for a customer who also has a bad 80GB 5400 drive..and he took his to the reseller. GSX reports the product in stock and it will be here on Maui on the 21st. Does anybody know how the "repair depots" in Houston (PB's) and Tenn (iBooks) work inventory. Do they work off of GSX just like any other Apple Authorized Service Provider? Thanks. Aloha.

amazing
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2005, 05:59 PM

I think it's time you called up applecare and politely and persistently pursue your case, namely that this is unacceptable and what are they going to do about it? Remember, politely and calmly, ask to be transferred to the next tier tech support, or ask that they give you the number of a customer service rep who can help you resolve this unacceptable delay for a common part.

bovie
Forum Regular
Apr 19, 2005, 10:21 PM

I am very sorry to hear about you problem. I has some problems with applecare it took a month for them to give up and replace my laptop. But, waiting a month for a harddrive is stupid. I would call apple customer relations and say what is going on. You may even get a free copy of ilife or iwork.
iMac 20in, 2.0Ghz, 1.5GB Ram, Mac OS X 10.4 - Windows XP Pro
PowerBook 12in, 1.5Ghz G4, 1.25GB Ram, Mac OS X 10.4
PowerMac 1.3Ghz G4, 1GB Ram, Radeon 8500, OS X Server 10.4

Maccare
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2005, 04:51 AM

I can't believe someone has to wait a month for a notebook Harddrive... Now I understand why Florida and Washington state goverments don't allow their residents to buy Applecare....

Don't get me wrong I love my Powerbook and OS X. (I am a 9month old switcher from windows XP)

If Apple is going to win over more windows users, they need to look at better customer service..
Mark

fleaplus
Apr 20, 2005, 05:21 AM

Well, the time difference (21st vs. 22nd) isn't much at all, so the supplier could have truely been out of stock of the drive. However its disappointing that a major service center would be out of a critical component like that for 3 weeks or more.

I was disappointed when my powerbook repair was put on hold last week (a replacement screen because of white spots) but sure enough the screen part arrived this monday and they had the computer back to me tuesday afternoon, which isn't so bad of a turnaround time after waiting on a part. I remember one dell customer reported it took their service center a month to replace a keyboard, so we don't have exactly the worst service in the business
MacBook Pro (Mid 2007), 2.4Ghz, 2GB DDR2-667Mhz, 160GB, Superdrive, Nvidia Geforce 8600M GT w/256MB, 15.4" WXGA+ LCD

Forum Links
Forum Rules