Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > How much Ram must i use in the new imac?

How much Ram must i use in the new imac?
oscaraf
Feb 13, 2002, 05:10 PM

Hello from Spain.

I�m going to buy a new imac (the low end model). I�ll use internet software (explorer, mail....), appleworks, office, filemaker, virtual pc 5 and some strategic game like civilization 3. Perhaps in the future golive and photoshop, but like a hobby - not professional-. If i use all this software with MacOS X, how much ram must i use in the new imac?
I�m thinking about 384 mb. Is this amount of ram enough?

Thanks a lot from spain

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2002, 05:43 PM

Will you be using OSX or OS9?

If you use OS9 for the most part, get some extra ram when you feel the price is worth it. For the most part, 384 would be enough.

If you use OS10 go for as much RAM as you can!!! You will never have enough.

Get as much as you can buy... a good way to go always...

Deicide
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2002, 05:45 PM

384MB should be plenty for a couple of small apps running or only one big one like VPC. I have 512Mb in my dual G4 and aside from a 300 dpi or higher photoshop doc it is plenty. My B&W G3 gets by just fine with only 256MB but all I do with it is IRC, iTunes, iPhoto, IE, email and starcraft.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2002, 05:47 PM

One thing- the first ram slot is fixed, whatever goes in, doesn't come out. If in 2 years, you need more memory you can only add to the 2nd slot, or throw away what's in the 2nd slot to replace it with a bigger chip.

For that reason alone, I greatly suggest getting the 512 chip with Apple. That way, you are good for a while and if you want to add later, you can add anotehr 512 and that iMac will last awhile. I got 256 (128x2) in my iBook, and now want more, now that means I have to throw away one chip to replace it with a 256 or 512 chip. Wasted money.

Get the 512 chip in the one slot, money spent now is les money wasted 1-2 years from now when all the apps will require 98megs of RAM to run. (hopefully not, but why chance it)
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

Rickster
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2002, 06:11 PM

Actually, the first RAM slot isn't fixed, it's just incredibly difficult to get at. It requires opening up the case (instead of just the service door on the bottom), which voids your warranty. Opening up the case also requires careful reapplication of thermal pads and thermal paste to keep the machine from overheating when you close it again. So don't expect to ever be upgrading the RAM in that slot yourself.

I agree with KidRed -- max out the internal slot to 512 MB. It's not too expensive, and you'll thank yourself a few years later when you want to get the machine up to a gig or two of memory so you can run Mac OS XIV.
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

oscaraf  (op)
Feb 13, 2002, 06:16 PM

Can i order the new imac with 512 mb chip in the first ram slot ("the internal slot")? I haven�t seen this option in the apple store (in the low end model)

thanks a lot

[ 02-13-2002: Message edited by: oscaraf ]

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 13, 2002, 10:19 PM

I'd like to see some stats as to how much speed improvement one really sees under OS X with more than 384MB of memory. I keep seeing comments in the forums like "max out your memory for OS X" but haven't really seen anything that demonstrates a big improvement. Anyone know where there is definitive proof to convince me to buy more memory?

ARENA
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2002, 01:16 AM

Is it possible to use a 512MB SO-DIMM chip from a Pismo in the iMac?

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2002, 12:34 PM

Can i order the new imac with 512 mb chip in the first ram slot ("the internal slot")?
I believe you can only get the built-in single 512 if you order the 800MHz model. The 700s come only with 128 (CD-RW) or 256 (combo) built-in and options for DIMMs in the second slot.
"I'm an award-winning creative, the rules of society no longer apply to me."

oscaraf  (op)
Feb 14, 2002, 02:02 PM

Thanks for your answers

nick h
Forum Regular
Feb 15, 2002, 02:49 AM

oscaraf- I plan on doing the exact same stuff as you it looks like. I plan on putting 640 in my new one when I order it (I'm waiting till all the rush ends so I can just walk into the local store here and pick one up).

So 640- 128 shipped, adding 512 in slot.
Roam: iBook (Dual USB) ~ 600Mhz, 384MB, 15GB, DVD, 12.1", OS X

Wardy
Forum Regular
Feb 15, 2002, 10:05 PM

Originally posted by oscaraf:
<STRONG>Can i order the new imac with 512 mb chip in the first ram slot ("the internal slot")?</STRONG>
this option is available on the Apple Store (Australia) for all iMac G4's.

Just select the 512Mb 1 DIMM option.

I would expect the options would be the same all around the world but I can't be bothered checking
iMac G4 800Mhz, 1Gb; Mac OS 10.3; Canon S200SP; Zip 250 USB; Canon MV30i; iPod 40Gb; Canon PowerShot G3; UMAX 1220U
iMac Rev A, 96Mb, MacOS 9.2.2

mefogus
Forum Regular
Feb 15, 2002, 10:34 PM

I just ordered the low-end 700MHz iMac today with 500MB in the internal slot. It's a choice in the RAM list box on the U.S. site.

-m

MJC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2002, 01:45 PM

Crucial.com has 512mb for $167.39, the Apple Store sells it for $250. Can anybody tell me why the big difference? This is the link if you want to follow it: http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...00%29&x=17&y=6

Thanks, MJC.

mike one
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 16, 2002, 02:22 PM

384 MB of ram is enough for OSX.
Using 7-8 apps at a time; searching proprietary databases, doing molecular modeling and making a powerpoint presention causes no pageouts on my ibook 600, even after 8 hours of use.
more than 384MB of ram will not make your machine any faster unless you are using apps that require 300+MB of ram to function properly, which there are very few of, and in OSX you can't control how much ram an app takes up anyway.

the reason you haven't seen any specs/benchmarks comparing 384 to 512MB of ram in OSX is because it isn't worth the time to benchmark it. the speed increase would be negligable.

in many situations 256 would be enough ram for the average mac/pc user using osX. if you open up 10 apps and are using them all at the same time 384 would most likely be enough, more than enough.

if you aren't paging out, you have enough ram.
type "top" on the commandline and look at the last line.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2002, 02:49 PM

Originally posted by MJC:
<STRONG>Crucial.com has 512mb for $167.39, the Apple Store sells it for $250. Can anybody tell me why the big difference? This is the link if you want to follow it: http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?Mfr%2BProductline=Apple%2 BiMAC&model=iMAC+%28G4-700%29&x=17&y=6

Thanks, MJC.</STRONG>
my understanding is that it is EXACTLY the same RAM. both get their ram chips from Micron. crucial.com is pretty much THE place to get your extra ram from. they always have the best prices, the best quality ram, and free 2day shipping! ive never had a problem with them.

cdhostage
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2002, 03:25 PM

With OS X, performance will iincrease marketdly wih every extra bit of memory. (MB, actually). I have OS X running on my iMac 500 with 640 megs of RAM. When I get the new iMac this suummer, I'll put the whole Ggig in.
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 16, 2002, 07:15 PM

Originally posted by mike one:
<STRONG>
The reason you haven't seen any specs/benchmarks comparing 384 to 512MB of ram in OSX is because it isn't worth the time to benchmark it. the speed increase would be negligable.
</STRONG>
Hmmm, mike one and cdhostage seem to have a difference of opinion here. I think I'll go with mike one's, save my money and stick with 384MB which is plenty of memory. Any more than that would seem to be more of a boost to the ego; not performance.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2002, 07:25 PM

Originally posted by ARENA:
<STRONG>Is it possible to use a 512MB SO-DIMM chip from a Pismo in the iMac?</STRONG>
Yes. Both the Pismo and the new iMac use 144-pin, PC-100 memory modules.

Kon-El
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 17, 2002, 10:00 PM

You MUSRT have 256MB to run it, but I'd max that baby out at 1GB while memory is at the price it is. It keeps going up slowly each week it seems, so you may as well get as much as you can afford now. I'd definitely get it with the 512MB installed in the top slot as 1 DIMM and buy the other one online.
In Christ,
Deacon Nikolai
http://nstanosheck.wordpress.com

Wardy
Forum Regular
Feb 18, 2002, 12:13 AM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
<STRONG>

Yes. Both the Pismo and the new iMac use 144-pin, PC-100 memory modules.</STRONG>
Apple are saying you need PC-133, despite the fact the system bus is only 100MHz. The explictly say PC-100 is no good.
iMac G4 800Mhz, 1Gb; Mac OS 10.3; Canon S200SP; Zip 250 USB; Canon MV30i; iPod 40Gb; Canon PowerShot G3; UMAX 1220U
iMac Rev A, 96Mb, MacOS 9.2.2

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 18, 2002, 01:18 PM

I have 640. 384 is plenty 95% of the time for an average user. 640 is nice to have but only fully used on my iBook infrequently, but I'm not a hardcore user.

Crucial.com is excellent. Go to the AnandTech Forums and look for the 15% discount for AnandTechers. Click on the link and save yourself an extra few % vs. the usual web discount price. (You don't have to be a member.)

For memory, you need either PC100 CAS 2-2-2 (8 ns), or PC133 CAS 3-3-3 (7.5 ns). They will both run at PC100 CAS 2-2-2, but the 7.5 ns RAM is actually capable of 133 MHz if swapped into a PC capable of it. The 8 ns RAM is only rated up to 125 MHz.

Maybe what Apple means is that PC100 CAS 3-3-3 memory is not good. That's true and it may not work correctly on an iMac, but I don't think too many reputable places would sell it new these days anyway.

[ 02-18-2002: Message edited by: Eug ]

Theresa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2002, 08:08 PM

I ordered the stock 800 imac, and was worried about not having enough memory after reading this thread, so I called Apple online. My salesperson suggested installing 512 in the extra slot (user accessible) and also recommended 1-800-4-memory (636679). I bought 512mb for $139 (with 2 day shipping $152.95).

Hope I did the right thing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules