Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Enough ! with the dead pixels

Enough ! with the dead pixels
Bob Wibulseth
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2002, 11:45 PM

ok, it's beyond me, how come nobody moan about the dead pixels in other lcds, like the powerbooks, ok they maybe of a better quality, but at least nobody is moaning about the price, maybe having a more expensive machine with better screen wouldn't be too bad after all.
what would be more damaging to reputation and/or sales of the new imac, high price or DEAD pixels?
a new user browse through mac sites, making up minds... ugh what are all these threads about dead pixels? (yeah yeah, iknow, here's another one).
apple got the price right, perhaps rightly so after the cube, remember what the complaint was(about the cube)? price. (Ok and the cracks,but many people didn't know that's a problem)
So we might not be doing the new imac much good with all these rants.

Sorry about my rant, my glass is half empty now

fulmer
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2002, 01:14 AM

my imac 800/superdrive has no dead pixesl, and my tibook 667/48G doesn't either. and my brother's tibook 667/48G has no dead pixels. guess it's the luck of the draw. if it has too many dead ones then apple will probably fix it or swap you machines.

Armando
Mar 1, 2002, 02:24 AM

No dead pixels on my iMac LCD. I have 3 computers with LCD monitors and 2 laptops - only one of my laptops has like 3 dead pixels. My other LCDs are flawless. Yup, luck of the draw I guess. I think people with the dead pixels are the ones postings and we rarely hear from people posting "no dead pixels." I mean Apple has only shipped like 5-10k of these new iMacs(?) and only a few people have posted here.

I certainly don't think the dead pixel issue should deter anybody from buying this wonder machine. I have rarely using my fully loaded Athlon XP PC since getting my new iMac. Using this box has been absolutely addicting! Help!

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2002, 06:38 AM

yeah, I'd never even heard of dead pixels until the new iMac came out, and I've been browsing here coz I'm thinking of buying one. I've got a PowerBook G3, and it's fine, so i hope it's a minority thing!

nick h
Forum Regular
Mar 1, 2002, 08:00 AM

It is VERY difficult to make LCD screens. Something aorund 50% or so have to be thrown away/remade. I suspect whoever is making the screens for the new iMacs (probably Samsung- does anyone know for sure?) is having a tough time whipping them out as fast as they are being demended. The TiBooks had the same problem initially.

This all is just seriously making me want to wait till perhaps after the summer to get my new iMac. Will the rush be over by then?!
Roam: iBook (Dual USB) ~ 600Mhz, 384MB, 15GB, DVD, 12.1", OS X

Glen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2002, 09:06 AM

I have the new iMac and had 1 pixel out, i phoned apple and they are going to replace the whole thing for me. They have also gave me a 3 year support plan for free.

If you've got a pixel out then phone apple!

PseuFighter
Forum Regular
Mar 1, 2002, 09:48 AM

Glen, why is it Apple treats certain customers differently than others?

It took me a solid five months, and two emails to [email protected] to have my first iBook replaced. First dead pixels (five), then bad motherboard, two dead batteries, and now I'm stuck with a new (err, last September) iBook that's far from perfect. Whenever I call Apple they just berate me with extended AppleCare ads.

Another friend of mine calls and she gets a brand new 600MHz iBook out of the deal. Someone else gets a free iMac. I hear all these great stories, then all these horror stories. Why is it Apple can't treat their customers equal?

How did you get 3 year phone support and a brand new iMac out of ONE dead pixel? That's NOT POSSIBLE according to Apple.
Let's show 'em why Macworld 2003 won't be like Macworld 2002.

robgettier
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2002, 10:39 PM

Apple's official policy on dead pixels is that one dead pixel is acceptable. It does not warrant any kind of claim. I have gotten this info on phone with apple care rep and it is posted on the apple web site.

No to accuse, but I think there is some dishonesty or fooling around going on with that previous post.
I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed. You know, as a career, I don't want to do that.....lloyd dobler

omarv
Forum Regular
Mar 4, 2002, 10:58 PM

my new iMac has zero dead pixels and absolutely no problems. I think there are alot more of these ou there than ones with problems, but I sure do think it would suck to have one with a dead pixel.
This machine rocks.

macthelastredman
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 5, 2002, 12:23 AM

i was really worried about getting a dead pixel but when i got my imac and it didnt have one dead pixel i was happy...go into it thinking you will have at least one then if you do if won't be so upsetting.
iMac G4 800mhz 768 ram OS X (10.1.5) & iPod 5gb

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2002, 02:23 AM

Originally posted by Glen:
<STRONG>I have the new iMac and had 1 pixel out, i phoned apple and they are going to replace the whole thing for me. They have also gave me a 3 year support plan for free.

If you've got a pixel out then phone apple! </STRONG>
Let me reinforce this: I've had nothing but EXCELLENT customer service from Apple with regards to my Cube and my G3 iMac. (They even upgraded my iMac from a 400Mhz /13Gb/64MB to a 500Mhz/30GB/128MB when the former couldn't be fixed.)

I've had the opposite experience with HP that seems to follow the mantra "deny, deny, deny".

After my experience with Apple they will not have much trouble keeping me as a long term customer.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

AusRob
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2002, 03:03 AM

So much headache about the dead pixel issue. The solution is simple (providing you haven't already got one). Do not buy mail order. Go to a retail store and have them boot the machine in your presence in the store. If there are any immediate problems i.e. dead pixel, ask to see another machine until you find one that meets your criteria. As I said, this won't help those who have one already and probably won't help if you choose to buy on line but a little forethought and consumer dilligence can save alot of headache.
On a side note I once heard that if you "massage" dead pixels it can sometimes bring them back to life.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2002, 08:53 AM

Originally posted by AusRob:
<STRONG>So much headache about the dead pixel issue. The solution is simple (providing you haven't already got one). Do not buy mail order. Go to a retail store and have them boot the machine in your presence in the store. If there are any immediate problems i.e. dead pixel, ask to see another machine until you find one that meets your criteria. As I said, this won't help those who have one already and probably won't help if you choose to buy on line but a little forethought and consumer dilligence can save alot of headache.
On a side note I once heard that if you "massage" dead pixels it can sometimes bring them back to life.</STRONG>
I work in a retail store, and if you think we're going to open boxes, and fire up the computers for you to inspect, you've got another thought coming! An open box immediately becomes tainted merchandise, unsalable except at a discount. The lousy profit margins Apple gives its dealers won't allow that to happen! I had a customer who ordered a new iMac, and we put extra RAM in it, as per her request. Yesterday, she called and cancelled the order. Shortly afterward a couple came in looking for a new iMac. Because they're still very hard to get, I offered them the one that we had just taken the extra memory out of. They immediately wanted a discount because it was an open box. I explained that this was a brand new machine, with factory warranty, and that there would be no discount. They no doubt thought I was selling them a used machine, so they left their name, for me to call when an unsealed box arrives. When one does arrive, they will probably already have bought one somewhere else, if they can find one. Dealers don't open boxes; we're in business to make a profit.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

first-time computer owner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2002, 09:41 AM

First let me say that the iMac G4 ROCKS! Now that I have that off my chest, it took me about two hours of playing around with OS X to finally realize that there was a dead pixel on the LCD monitor. No big deal. It's not like the thing is huge and takes up 1/2 of the screen. You can't even see it, unless the screen happens to be dark where the dead pixel rests, even when looking for it.

macmad
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2002, 09:46 AM

Originally posted by KarlG:
They immediately wanted a discount because it was an open box.
You need to get some tape guns!

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2002, 09:50 AM

Originally posted by KarlG:
<STRONG>

I work in a retail store, and if you think we're going to open boxes, and fire up the computers for you to inspect, you've got another thought coming! An open box immediately becomes tainted merchandise, unsalable except at a discount. The lousy profit margins Apple gives its dealers won't allow that to happen! I had a customer who ordered a new iMac, and we put extra RAM in it, as per her request. Yesterday, she called and cancelled the order. Shortly afterward a couple came in looking for a new iMac. Because they're still very hard to get, I offered them the one that we had just taken the extra memory out of. They immediately wanted a discount because it was an open box. I explained that this was a brand new machine, with factory warranty, and that there would be no discount. They no doubt thought I was selling them a used machine, so they left their name, for me to call when an unsealed box arrives. When one does arrive, they will probably already have bought one somewhere else, if they can find one. Dealers don't open boxes; we're in business to make a profit.</STRONG>
Actually Best Buy (as much as I hate them) does this very thing. They won't let you leave the store until after the take it out of the box, boot it up and show you that each component works. They did this with my laptop (HP) and checked out the screen, DVD drive, floppy drive, etc. They then packed it back up and I was off and on my way. (Granted this was right AFTER I paid for the unit, but I don't think I'd have had any trouble swapping it for another in-store unit right there ... or I could have immediately returned it.)
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

Forum Links
Forum Rules