Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > North American Powerbook in Norway

North American Powerbook in Norway
Jerome
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2006, 02:29 PM

Hello all,

I'm heading to Norway tomorrow and my girlfriend will be bringing along her 12" Powerbook. I know about Apple's World Travel Adapter Kit but do I need it if I have one of those converting kits? The problem I see is that it only has the two main pegs, no ground.

Thanks for any information.

macboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2006, 02:37 PM

I think as long as you have a Norwein to American plug adapter, your set. Laptops run on dual voltage - 110/220 and so does the Powerbook

Dork.
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2006, 02:45 PM

All of Apple's recent (i.e. in the last 5 years or so) laptop power supplies are capable of taking any voltage the world can throw at it: 110-240V, 50-60Hz. You can read it in the fine print on the adaptor. All you need is an adaptor to convert the Norwegian plugs to American plugs, You don't need a transformer.

Jerome  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2006, 02:48 PM

Thanks all, then my question should be: will I have any problem if the ground isn't pluged in? There are only two pegs in my adapters...

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 22, 2006, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jerome
Thanks all, then my question should be: will I have any problem if the ground isn't pluged in? There are only two pegs in my adapters...
No. Enjoy your stay!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 22, 2006, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Dork.
All of Apple's recent (i.e. in the last 5 years or so) laptop power supplies are capable of taking any voltage the world can throw at it: 110-240V, 50-60Hz. You can read it in the fine print on the adaptor. All you need is an adaptor to convert the Norwegian plugs to American plugs, You don't need a transformer.
Actually, that's all Apple laptop adapters ever made. They have always been world-compatible (as were most Macs made before Apple released any laptops at all).

tooki

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 22, 2006, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Dork.
IIRC the North American first revision G5 iMacs were 110-130V only; the worldwide version was 110-240V.

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 22, 2006, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
IIRC the North American first revision G5 iMacs were 110-130V only; the worldwide version was 110-240V.
Yes but that was a desktop model. The laptops all have support for both 50 and 60Hz and 110,120,240 volts.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 22, 2006, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
You recall correctly, but as aristotles pointed out, it's irrelevant!

tooki

Jerome  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2006, 11:17 PM

Well, thanks everyone! I'm packing my stuff, getting some sleep and I'm off to Norway!

SpinCycle
Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2006, 11:40 PM

Heh, this sounds like a title for a Movie.

Forum Links
Forum Rules