Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook memory quality/price question

MacBook memory quality/price question
Skypat
Mac Enthusiast
May 29, 2006, 08:01 AM

Hi

So I'm about to buy a MacBook and upgrade it to 2GB of RAM.

There are many stores where you can buy RAM and many different prices. My question is this one : is there a difference in terms of quality between RAM sticks at $100 and $159 i.e ?

I mean, why is the RAM so much more expensive on the Apple store ie ? Is it because their RAM is of better quality ? I am a bit afraid of paying a very low price and have problems after that. Sometimes inexpensive is expensive

Thanks for your advice !
S k y p a t

Maflynn
Professional Poster
May 29, 2006, 08:10 AM

Of course there is and Macs historically have been very picky with ram. That is generic cheap ram has have caused problems and issues. I go by the old standard. You get what you pay for and after spending over a grand on a new macbook why skimp on the memory that will effect the operation of the mac.

For me I've always had good luck with Crucial
Others have also reported that OWC

Mike
~Mike

nickw311
Senior User
May 29, 2006, 08:45 AM

Why is Crucial so much more expensive than OWC? OWC is $199 for 2.0gb and Crucial is $360... OWC sounds like a bargain in that light.
27" iMac C2D

force838
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2006, 09:00 AM

i bought "cheap" ram from newegg and had no problems with it. check out corsair value ram from newegg. i only got 2 512 sticks, but they cost 49 dollars each.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145008

Skypat  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 29, 2006, 10:31 AM

Ok but why is there such a huge difference of price ? Is the expensive memory more tested, using superior metal ... I don't know ?
S k y p a t

JAR
May 29, 2006, 10:53 AM

I believe there are huge price differences because the expensive ones undergo much more rigorous testing and are made to a higher standard of quality. If you buy cheap ones you are gambling, so it all depends on if you like to gamble hehe.

I'm a first time Mac user, and I bought OWC 2GB. My Macbook is very stable at 667MHz, and is actually useable compared to when I had 512MB.

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
May 29, 2006, 03:50 PM

OWC RAM is tested for compatibility with Macs and it comes with a lifetime warranty. OWC has an excellent rep among Macophiles.

I have purchased RAM from both OWC and Newegg and have had no problems. On the other hand, I purchased RAM for my G3 iBook from 1-800-4MEMORY and I had to return two modules before getting one that worked...

Skypat  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 30, 2006, 05:12 AM

The price depends often of the warranty provided : 1 year for low cost and 10 years for higher priced memory.
S k y p a t

Gamoe
Mac Elite
May 30, 2006, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Maflynn
I go by the old standard. You get what you pay for and after spending over a grand on a new macbook why skimp on the memory that will effect the operation of the mac.
That is not always the case. Just because something is more expensive does not mean it is better in any way. That said, I have had good experiences with Crucial, and always remember to look at what kind of warranty the company has. A lifetime warranty is worth some extra cost, in my view.

Forum Links
Forum Rules