Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Why do people collect DVDs?

Why do people collect DVDs?
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 14, 2006, 09:36 PM

Why do people track DVD releases, and wait patently until they can buy them the moment they come out on DVD? What percentage of movies do you find yourself taking the time to watch more than once?

Why would you run out to buy a DVD when you can borrow it from the library, rent it, borrow it from a friend, etc.?

I have a few DVDs myself, stuff that I've gotten for gifts and stuff, downloads I've archived, etc. I can understand owning a few, but what I don't get are these massive collections. I just don't get how this sort of thing is a smart investment - or do people collect movies like they collect baseball cards?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 14, 2006, 09:38 PM

Pron ?

-t

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2006, 09:40 PM

I like movies, so I buy DVDs. Simple as that. I dont like renting my entertainment, I like to own it so I can watch it when I feel like it under my rules and terms. Thats why I have a collection of about 350 and counting. Entertainment is about just that, not a finacial investment.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 14, 2006, 09:40 PM

Some people like to own, rather than rent.

You'll probably find that this preference is one of the things which determines their political allegiances.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

alligator
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2006, 09:42 PM

No idea. With a Netflix account, I can have any DVD I want in my hands in 2 days.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2006, 09:43 PM

I know a few people with 500+ DVD collections that they bought. I don't understand it, either. They spent ~$7500 (at a $15 average price per DVD) on that whole collection, and they hardly ever watch them. Usually ~10% of them have never even been watched. Meanwhile, I've had Netflix for the last 2 years, watched all of the movies I want to see, kept backup copies of them so I still have a big movie collection, and I've spent less than $500 over 2 years.

"I start fires!"

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 14, 2006, 09:45 PM

I don't really care whether it's a good or bad investment — it's not an investment at all. I buy DVDs because I like the movie or TV show and know I will enjoy watching it again at some point in the future.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 14, 2006, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by alligator
No idea. With a Netflix account, I can have any DVD I want in my hands in 2 days.
Very seldom do I think to myself, "You know, I'd really like to watch Saved in two days."
Chuck
___

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 14, 2006, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy
You'll probably find that this preference is one of the things which determines their political allegiances.

That's kind of a stretch Doofy, don't you think? People are complicated and believe in all sorts of things, why not just leave it at that?

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 14, 2006, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
I don't really care whether it's a good or bad investment — it's not an investment at all. I buy DVDs because I like the movie or TV show and know I will enjoy watching it again at some point in the future.

How many times do you watch it again in the future? If you ever do need or want to watch a movie again, there are all sorts of ways to get your hands on it, no?

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 14, 2006, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur
I like movies, so I buy DVDs. Simple as that. I dont like renting my entertainment, I like to own it so I can watch it when I feel like it under my rules and terms. Thats why I have a collection of about 350 and counting. Entertainment is about just that, not a finacial investment.

I like movies and go to the movie theater semi-frequently, but movies to me are just sort of disposable food-like products. I've never felt the need to own the DVD, I know where I can get my hands on it, that's good enough for me.

That's just me though...

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 14, 2006, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c
That's kind of a stretch Doofy, don't you think?
Not really. In my personal experience it holds true. Those who tend to vote "right" tend to prefer ownership rather than rental, even if it means they've got a number of DVDs sitting on their shelf which they haven't yet seen. It's all down to the "own vs rent" nature of the individual.

You wanted the answer. You got it.

Check it out with a poll if you like.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2006, 09:58 PM

I don't. I do, however, collect Rickey Henderson baseball cards.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 14, 2006, 09:58 PM

Not really. In my personal experience it holds true. Those who tend to vote "right" tend to prefer ownership rather than rental, even if it means they've got a number of DVDs sitting on their shelf which they haven't yet seen. It's all down to the "own vs rent" nature of the individual.

You wanted the answer. You got it.

Check it out with a poll if you like.

This is not one of your smartest theories Doofy, no offense.

I absolutely refuse to rent music, I have no interest in it whatsoever. I own a ton. My wife owns a ton of books, she's never voted Right. She also owns all her music too, and likewise has no interest in renting.

There are just too many exceptions to your rule here Doofy. I have no doubt that there are thousands more if it doesn't even have to leave this household to be disproven.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 14, 2006, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by rickey939

You do realize that stealing is breaking one of God's 10 deadly commandments, or whatever they are called?

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2006, 10:00 PM

You do realize that stealing is breaking one of God's 10 deadly commandments, or whatever they are called?
Forgive me baseball, for I have sinned.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 14, 2006, 10:01 PM

I already mentioned pron. Thank you very much.

-t

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 14, 2006, 10:02 PM

Forgive me baseball, for I have sinned.

Why don't you just give all of those bases back you damn rapscallion?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 14, 2006, 10:07 PM

This is not one of your smartest theories Doofy, no offense.

I absolutely refuse to rent music, I have no interest in it whatsoever. I own a ton. My wife owns a ton of books, she's never voted Right. She also owns all her music too, and likewise has no interest in renting.

There are just too many exceptions to your rule here Doofy. I have no doubt that there are thousands more if it doesn't even have to leave this household to be disproven.
Reading comprehension being another.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2006, 10:08 PM

Very seldom do I think to myself, "You know, I'd really like to watch Saved in two days."
But if you have a Blockbuster Online account, you can decide to watch Saved tonight and go to your local Blockbuster and get it for free. You get a free in-store rental every week.
Vandelay Industries

Ulrich Kinbote
Senior User
Aug 14, 2006, 10:13 PM

What percentage of movies do you find yourself taking the time to watch more than once?
100% of those movies I decide to buy on DVD.

tutelary
Forum Regular
Aug 14, 2006, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by MaxPower2k3
Meanwhile, I've had Netflix for the last 2 years, watched all of the movies I want to see, kept backup copies of them so I still have a big movie collection, and I've spent less than $500 over 2 years.
Read: "I steal so I think I'm better than people who don't steal"
Lets be clear here: Renting a movie does not give you the right to make a copy. Thats theft.

And here, I'll put my money where my mouth is:
http://aycu37.webshots.com/image/175...6103996_rs.jpg

Dakar
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2006, 10:29 PM

Because there are lots of movies I will like to watch several times, whenever I wish to.

Ulrich Kinbote
Senior User
Aug 14, 2006, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by tutelary
Read: "I steal so I think I'm better than people who don't steal"
Lets be clear here: Renting a movie does not give you the right to make a copy. Thats theft.

And here, I'll put my money where my mouth is:
http://aycu37.webshots.com/image/175...6103996_rs.jpg
Is it possible to rip rented DVDs?

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2006, 10:46 PM

Why not? They're no different than a purchased DVD.
Vandelay Industries

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 14, 2006, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Ulrich Kinbote
Is it possible to rip rented DVDs?
Yes. (I don't do it, though.)

Any DVD that can be played by a normal DVD player can be ripped.
Chuck
___

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2006, 11:10 PM

I've only done it once, for a DVD I paid four weeks overdue fee on that we never got around to watch (we were moving). Still haven't watched the ripped copy though

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Ulrich Kinbote
Senior User
Aug 14, 2006, 11:10 PM

Anyway, besson3c, are you telling me that there is not a single movie you watch repeatedly and never tire of?

Some movies can be played over and over again, like a piece of music. I've got a bunch of Hitchcock and old Bogart movies that I own on DVD and have watched dozens of times. Every time I watch them they yield something new. Maybe that's the definition of a really good movie.
( Last edited by Ulrich Kinbote; Aug 15, 2006 at 12:44 AM. )

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2006, 11:34 PM

I once purchased a TON of movies, but stopped when I turned ~24... It's just not worth it. I'll still pick up a few when I can get 4 for $20 at the local Blockbuster, but I consider the $5 per movie more like renting...

With blu-ray, I'm just going to rent... and never buy. I'm SO tired of them releasing 3-4 different versions of the same F@#$@#$ing movie!!!

DVD Release
DVD Directors Cut
DVD Ultimate Edition

bla bla bla... The movie studios have done a fantastic job of making me dislike their marketing practices.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2006, 12:12 AM

My wife owns a ton of books, she's never voted Right. She also owns all her music too, and likewise has no interest in renting.
I hate to be the one to break the news to you, but your wife consistently votes Republican. It's her little way of getting even with you.

If I were you, I wouldn't even bother voting this November. Just stay home and watch a movie, instead. After all, she's cancelling-out your vote - with the net effect being wasted time and gasoline.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2006, 12:21 AM

I know a few people with 500+ DVD collections that they bought. I don't understand it, either. They spent ~$7500 (at a $15 average price per DVD) on that whole collection, and they hardly ever watch them. Usually ~10% of them have never even been watched. Meanwhile, I've had Netflix for the last 2 years, watched all of the movies I want to see, kept backup copies of them so I still have a big movie collection, and I've spent less than $500 over 2 years.
Translation: I don't know why people buy movies when I just steal them.

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 15, 2006, 12:25 AM

The problem with collecting DVDs is: now there's blu-ray and hd-dvd so all of those DVDs in your collection is old, obsolete, etc.
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2006, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Velocity211
The problem with collecting DVDs is: now there's blu-ray and hd-dvd so all of those DVDs in your collection is old, obsolete, etc.
That's why I've been selling many of mine off... also, it's going to be some time before DVD is gone.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2006, 12:33 AM

I have neither a $10000 TV nor a $5000 player. Thus, that makes little difference to me.
Chuck
___

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2006, 12:47 AM

I buy the movies because I like to have them whenever I want to watch them. I also got tired of paying an extra $5 for late fees (even 1 late fee every few months just bugs the heck out of me, even though they are my fault)... so after paying $10 per movie to see them once I decided that I would rather own the good ones. My wife watches them more than I do, but it is very nice to be able to see them whenever I would like.

I don't steal, there is no blockbuster here, and netflix sucks... who wants to be in a que for movies and have to think about what they want a few days beforehand? No thanks, I'll buy. Best Buy often has them at 2 for $20, and the brand new ones are only $16 at wal*mart the first week they come out. DVDs are not unusable now that blue-ray and HD DVD are out... they are backwards compatible.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2006, 01:08 AM

I have neither a $10000 TV nor a $5000 player. Thus, that makes little difference to me.
It's more like a $3000 1080p TV or $500 HD-DVD ($1000 for Blu-Ray) player.
Vandelay Industries

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2006, 01:10 AM

( Last edited by MacMan4000; Sep 1, 2015 at 12:16 PM. )

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2006, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay
It's more like a $3000 1080p TV or $500 HD-DVD ($1000 for Blu-Ray) player.
I also have neither a $3000 TV nor $1500 worth of video players. Again, I feel no need to dump my collection for overpriced crap that does the same stuff for more money.
Chuck
___

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2006, 01:29 AM

My stepdad always balked at me buying movies. I realized that he was right. My public library has a collection that rivals blockbuster easily, the wait time isn't long, and I can usually find something I want.

I've mostly given up on Buying DVDS because:
a) I'd rather pay $3 or Nothing to watch...
b) DVDs will be replaced soon enough.

For the opposing arguement, I have to say there are a couple movies that I watch all the time, and I never get tired of:
The Emperor's New Groove
The Princess Bride
Back to the Future
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2006, 01:33 AM

( Last edited by MacMan4000; Sep 1, 2015 at 12:16 PM. )

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2006, 01:55 AM

$15 per DVD sounds pretty low, but nonetheless, I'd rather pay a $1000 for a collection and own the DVDs indefinitely than pay $250 a year and have nothing to show for it afterward. I really hate subscription services and wish I didn't have to put up with one for cell phone service.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

tutelary
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2006, 02:01 AM

any decent bluray or hd-dvd player will upconvert your normal dvds. sure its not true high def, but its more than good enough. there are very few things I would ever rebuy.

I take it you people who talk about things being obsolete are still be on your first computer?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2006, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
I really hate subscription services and wish I didn't have to put up with one for cell phone service.
You can prepay for minutes if you'd rather just buy. It seems kind of silly with a cell phone, though, to be honest.
Chuck
___

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 15, 2006, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by tutelary
any decent bluray or hd-dvd player will upconvert your normal dvds. sure its not true high def, but its more than good enough. there are very few things I would ever rebuy.

I take it you people who talk about things being obsolete are still be on your first computer?
Well not obsolete, I exaggerated a bit. I personally don't really see that much of a difference between DVDs and Blu-ray/HD-DVD, but it always feels good just to have the latest technology. I won't be getting a blu-ray/hd-dvd standalone player anytime soon (gonna get PS3). Such as myself having the HR PowerBook and feeling that it's obsolete with the PowerPC processor compared to the intel processors in the Macbook Pros. (500th post, nothing compared to you guys with 1000+ posts)

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 15, 2006, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by MacMan4000
Fixed™
I like your new list, but back to the future is a very good movie IMO.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2006, 02:29 AM

You can prepay for minutes if you'd rather just buy. It seems kind of silly with a cell phone, though, to be honest.
Right, I should have clarified what I wrote by saying that I feel locked into cell phone subscription because the cell phone companies make prepay service very undesirable.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

PB2K
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2006, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur
your own terms? how about having to watch a few minutes long anti piracy disclaimers, how about the regioncodes, how about the need to configure your dvd so it plays the subtitles
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

tutelary
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2006, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by PB2K
your own terms? how about having to watch a few minutes long anti piracy disclaimers, how about the regioncodes, how about the need to configure your dvd so it plays the subtitles
lol. a whole 15 seconds of anti-piracy stuff just KILLS ME

as for the "configuring to play subs"...pressing a button or two is that hard for you? sounds like you have problems beyond dvds.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2006, 04:01 AM

Some people like to own, rather than rent.

Dumbest thing I'm likely to read all day.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2006, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by analogika

Dumbest thing I'm likely to read all day.
Yet perfectly consistent with his single-minded, inflexible and Doofycentric world-view. I've decided that these forums are more readable if I work under the assumption that the personality "Doofy" is nothing more than a parody of something and move on.

Forum Links
Forum Rules