Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > MacPro and Radeon X1900XT : disappointment?

MacPro and Radeon X1900XT : disappointment?
Skypat
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 23, 2006, 07:57 AM

Hi

I'm a little bit disapointed. I was concidering buying a new MacPro with a Radeon X1900XT and I've just read ATI has introduced the W1950XT, whith a nice difference : it's much quieter thanks to a new cooling system.

I thought Apple was - this time - using a top of the line graphic card. The X1900XT is one of the best graphic card out there, but why do they propose in their catalogue a card that was out last January on the PC side !

Has someone had the chance to hear if the X1900 is that noisy ?

Thanks
S k y p a t

Dino-Rider
Baninated
Aug 23, 2006, 09:26 AM

On the upside, thanks to the double wide graphics card slot, you can grab something like this:

Arctic Cooling

Check out the noise comparisons. I have one on my 9800 and it's simply fantastic.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2006, 09:34 AM

There will ALWAYS be a new video card out every few months, that's what PCI-e slots are for, upgrading. When the current one gets slow and you want to put something new in, you just pop it in. Although, I don't know if the difference between a Radeon X1900XT and a Radeon X1950XT makes it worth upgrading, you might want to wait for the next new video card.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Skypat  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 23, 2006, 10:16 AM

Ok I'm not saying at all the X1900 is bad or weak or whatever. I just stress the fact that Apple has *announced* a so called new card that has just been replaced this week on the PC side by a newer model X1950. It is not much more powerfull, but it is said to be much quieter.

That's a bit disapointing ;-)
S k y p a t

Dino-Rider
Baninated
Aug 23, 2006, 10:22 AM

Dude..... did you totally ignore my post? Spend a few bucks, buy the aftermarket cooler for the X1900XT, and it will not only be a ton quieter, but you'll be able to overclock it for more performance.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2006, 01:25 PM

Actually, Dino, made a good point about overclocking. You could give that a try.

ATIccelerator II
MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2006, 01:32 PM

accidental double post
MacBook Pro

Skypat  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 23, 2006, 03:40 PM

Hi Dino I read your post and I thank you for the link ... I'll defenetly look at that solution if needed. But it does not change the fact that the upcoming X1900 was introduced last January on the PC side and has been replaced today by a newer model
S k y p a t

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2006, 04:15 PM

It could very well be that Apple didn't know that the 1950 was coming out right now. It could be that the drivers for the 1900 have been in development and to decide to change that would be a matter of time to dedicate to new drivers.
The matter may simply have been "X1900 that's what's available, that's what we're going to use."

ATi is producing a chipset primarily for PCs. Unfortunately, the Mac is still a bit of an afterthought as far as production goes. Therefore we're going to tend to lag a bit behind the release dates...
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2006, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Skypat
Hi Dino I read your post and I thank you for the link ... I'll defenetly look at that solution if needed. But it does not change the fact that the upcoming X1900 was introduced last January on the PC side and has been replaced today by a newer model
Fine, but what do you think apple should have done? delayed the MacPro just for a gfx card? say they did and they put in the X1950... and oh then another faster one comes out.. deal with it. I suppose you will complain once faster CPUs come out..
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

Forum Links
Forum Rules