Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Pro Freezing

MacBook Pro Freezing
magnitude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2006, 02:03 PM

So I pop open my Macbook Pro and start doing some stuff in Quickbooks then all of a sudden the machine freezes. Mouse still works but clicking on icons or the menu does nothing.

Power off, reboot, then machine freezes after about 30s - 60s. No messages, just freezes. I've now repeated this process 4 or 5 times. This really really sucks since I'm leaving for the weekend and need to do some stuff and don't have time to stop home and grab the Windows laptop ...

Can anyone help? I'm not an mac/OSX expert, so this is new territory for me.

Thanks ...

MacBook Pro 1.8 2GB RAM

uicandrew
Senior User
Jun 2, 2006, 03:04 PM

it could be bad ram. download memtest from www.versiontracker.com and have it check out your memory
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

herald
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2006, 11:39 AM

Also, you can start in "safe" mode by holding down the shift key as your computer starts until you see the apple logo. See if it freezes. If it does, then, most likely you have bad ram or other hardware problems. If it works fine, then you'll need to back track with your installed software. Make sure you are on the latest OSX release, go through software update and make sure you are getting the latest QuickTime 7.1.1.

It is not a bad idea to check out the RAM as uicandrew suggested.

magnitude  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 4, 2006, 10:25 AM

No freeze ups in safe mode ... so must be software. No errors with memtest so far either.

Thanks for the replies.

altheastronut
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2006, 01:11 AM

I've been having the same freezing issue myself recently. I've called applecare and I went through all sorts of hoops. What we ended up deciding on is boot into safemode and see if the problem persits, if it does then it could possible be an OS problem, if after an archive install and it happens then it might be a hardware problem. I haven't had a system freeze in safemode, but today is my only day trying it out. I hope you find a resolution!

cla
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2006, 07:09 PM

Tell us if you do, because I just had my first freeze, exacly according to OP's description.

Forum Links
Forum Rules