Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Idiots with way too loud ear buds... and more!

Idiots with way too loud ear buds... and more!
osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2007, 09:24 AM

This ticked me off this morning, I almost broke someone's neck in two because they refused to lower their volume.
I politely asked twice, the third time I threatened the person. The volume was eventually lowered.

Why am I being reduced to this sort of behavior - is society becoming a mass of selfish jerks oblivious to their surroundings and without respect for their fellow man (or woman)?
When some jack ass can't lower is 110db ipod, is it time to correct such anti-social behavior? Or will a future generation of deaf idiots be enough of a payback?

Any ideas welcome. Or just rant along. Have fun!
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2007, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
is society becoming a mass of selfish jerks oblivious to their surroundings and without respect for their fellow man (or woman)?
Becoming?
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

osiris  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2007, 09:31 AM

good point. But it seems that the ratio of these dolts is on the increase.

Kvasir
Forum Regular
Oct 30, 2007, 09:37 AM

... - is society becoming a mass of selfish jerks oblivious to their surroundings and without respect for their fellow man (or woman)?...
Yes.

Look at cell phones - people so infatuated with their cell phones that they never stop using them, no matter how public the place or event (and they never NOT answer them, no matter the place, event or who they are with). And I love how someone gabbing on their phone loud enough to be heard across the street will glare at someone they catch watching them - like the other person is invading their privacy

My personal peeve - people who carelessly dump their vehicle into a partking space, with their passenger side so close to the next car's driver's side that the other person will never be able to get in their own vehicle without clambering in from the other side. That's not poor driving skills, that's just thoughtless and rude.

People are becoming ever increasingly narcissistic and oblivious to how they affect or impact those around them

Or, maybe I'm just having a pissy day

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2007, 09:51 AM

This ticked me off this morning, I almost broke someone's neck in two because they refused to lower their volume.
I politely asked twice, the third time I threatened the person. The volume was eventually lowered.

Why am I being reduced to this sort of behavior - is society becoming a mass of selfish jerks oblivious to their surroundings and without respect for their fellow man (or woman)?
When some jack ass can't lower is 110db ipod, is it time to correct such anti-social behavior? Or will a future generation of deaf idiots be enough of a payback?

Any ideas welcome. Or just rant along. Have fun!
How loud could it be if it were ear buds. Granted they can get loud, but its not like someone with a boombox.

Then there's the irony of your post.
respect for their fellow man (or woman)?
I almost broke someone's neck
the third time I threatened the person.
is it time to correct such anti-social behavior?
I wonder if we'll be seeing a post here, in a little while of someone complaining about some idiot threatening him because their ipod was too loud.

You're right about society but watch out when you start pointing a finger at someone else, because you have three pointing back at you. Threatening someone is certainly an anti-social behavior. In a sense its his (or her) hearing and if they want to go deaf, so be it. Just move on or over. I cannot fathom that too loud ear buds could ever be considered "disturbing the peace" from a legal perspective. Is it rude and inconsiderate yeah but isn't threatening to beat someone up also rude?

osiris  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2007, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
How loud could it be if it were ear buds. Granted they can get loud, but its not like someone with a boombox.
How about clear as a bell from 20 feet? Is that loud?

Then there's the irony of your post.
No sh*t sherlock. You're really on your toes this morning.

I wonder if we'll be seeing a post here, in a little while of someone complaining about some idiot threatening him because their ipod was too loud.
Nope.

You're right about society but watch out when you start pointing a finger at someone else, because you have three pointing back at you. Threatening someone is certainly an anti-social behavior. In a sense its his (or her) hearing and if they want to go deaf, so be it. Just move on or over.
Where do you live? In a crowded city, there is no place to go, especially when you're on a crowded bus or train.

I cannot fathom that too loud ear buds could ever be considered "disturbing the peace" from a legal perspective. Is it rude and inconsiderate yeah but isn't threatening to beat someone up also rude?
No, it's self defense.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2007, 10:21 AM

Where do you live? In a crowded city, there is no place to go, especially when you're on a crowded bus or train.
Actually I do, and I commute on a subway every day. For the most part, I can move around enough even on a packed train if someone is being overly load I generally can find a way to create distance.
No, it's self defense.
That's a stretch but if violence is your thing, then you can call it what ever you want

osiris  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2007, 10:27 AM

Actually I do, and I commute on a subway every day. For the most part, I can move around enough even on a packed train if someone is being overly load I generally can find a way to create distance.

That's a stretch but if violence is your thing, then you can call it what ever you want
Violence is not my thing, that is the point. When humans can't properly respond to voice communication to solve problems, where do you turn? And where should I move to, particularly under the situation presented where there was no place to go?

You seem to be siding with the idiot, and I'm very curious why.

Cold Warrior
Oct 30, 2007, 10:35 AM

sometimes I wear earplugs when my wife is talking to me. She is a very loud talker, and I have sensitive hearing.

The ones with phalanges/layers are the best, not some crappy foam plugs.

Koralatov
Senior User
Oct 30, 2007, 10:39 AM

Deafeningly loud earphones are one thing, but when some idiot is playing a 'comedy' gabba song from the speaker on their mobile, that's when my blood starts to boil. I'm usually quite laid-back about it, but the other morning (during my tedious twenty-minute bus ride to work) I'd finally had enough. I went and asked the boy nicely (well, boy in the loosest sense--he was about 19) if he could turn it down, or use his headphones. The little pr*ck told me I was being rude! I almost throttled him.

I agree with Macosnerd to an extent, that moving is the best option, but sadly it's usually not one open to me; the buses where I live are truly terrible, and always totally rammed, leaving me with no option but to sit there and try to bear it.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2007, 11:19 AM

I agree with your post.

If someone's earbuds really bother you so much that you threaten them to turn them down, there's something wrong with you and not the person with the earbuds.

osiris  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2007, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
I agree with your post.

If someone's earbuds really bother you so much that you threaten them to turn them down, there's something wrong with you and not the person with the earbuds.
Please explain. Music audible from an inescapable distance is invasion of my privacy. That's why public radio playing is illegal, because people can't apply moderation to their listening habits.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2007, 12:46 PM

I'm not taking his side as much as observing the irony in your post. Someone has his ipod too loud, you eventually threaten him and yet you complain about the social and moral decline.

I've been on plenty of trains (extrememly crowded) where a various people had their ipods cranked up, even so it was not so loud it would be considered disruptive and to be honest I don't think the ipod with your typical ear buds could ever get to that level.

I'll say it again, slightly differently I'm sure the guy (or gal) that had the ipod up too loud was complaining to their friends/co-workers about some person on the train threatening to beat them up because they didn't like the volume of their ipod

I really don't think a loud ipod is a sign of armageddon, having strangers start yelling and threatening you while minding your own business is another thing.
( Last edited by MacosNerd; Oct 30, 2007 at 01:23 PM. )

Railroader
Banned
Oct 30, 2007, 01:15 PM

Violence is not my thing, that is the point. When humans can't properly respond to voice communication to solve problems, where do you turn? And where should I move to, particularly under the situation presented where there was no place to go?

Actually, I say he was siding with the guy using his iPod.

Perhaps you need to invest in some inexpensive earplugs. And anger management therapy.

osiris  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2007, 01:21 PM

I'm not taking his side as much as observing the irony in your post. Someone has his ipod too loud, you eventually threaten him and yet you complain about the social and moral decline.

I've been on plenty of trains (extrememly crowded) where a various people had their ipods cranked up, even so it was not so loud it would be considered disruptive and to be honest I don't think the ipod with your typical ear buds could ever get to that level.

I'll say it again, slightly differently I'm sure the guy (or gal) that had ipod up too loud was complaining their friends/co-workers about some person on the train threatening to beat them up because they didn't like the volume of on their ipod

I really don't think a loud ipod is a sign of armageddon, having strangers start yelling and threatening you while minding your own business is another thing.
You missed yet it again....

The person was playing music too loud.

The person also refused to lower the volume.

Again, I could not leave the area.

Is that clearer?

edit : oh, the irony in my post is intentional, but you missed it twice so far, so I'll make it clearer for you in the future.

osiris  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2007, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Actually, I say he was siding with the guy using his iPod.

Perhaps you need to invest in some inexpensive earplugs. And anger management therapy.
So a person invades my space - so I need earplugs and anger management therapy? Are you joking?

Railroader
Banned
Oct 30, 2007, 01:25 PM

Maybe the person had some significant hearing loss and the only way he could hear the music was to have the volume extremely loud. Considering that possibility, then you threatened a person with disabilities who probably couldn't hear your requests and removed a minor pleasure in that poor soul's burdened life.

You da man.

Railroader
Banned
Oct 30, 2007, 01:26 PM

So a person invades my space - so I need earplugs and anger management therapy? Are you joking?
I am not joking. You threatened physical violence on to a person due to music that in no way could have been very loud from 20 feet away plying through ear buds.

You have severe anger issues.

osiris  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2007, 01:30 PM

I am not joking. You threatened physical violence on to a person due to music that in no way could have been very loud from 20 feet away plying through ear buds.

You have severe anger issues.

So you're saying it is impossible to hear an ipod from 20 feet via the ear buds?

So I am lying? edit: for the complete waste of everyone's time?

osiris  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2007, 01:36 PM

Maybe the person had some significant hearing loss and the only way he could hear the music was to have the volume extremely loud. Considering that possibility, then you threatened a person with disabilities who probably couldn't hear your requests and removed a minor pleasure in that poor soul's burdened life.

You da man.
The person was not what you claim; the person flatly refused my requests.
Why is this so hard to fathom?

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2007, 01:48 PM

The person was not what you claim; the person flatly refused my requests
And why should he. He's wearing head phones (rather ear buds) and no matter how you slice it, the volume of ear buds cannot get to a level that would be disruptive. Yes they can get loud enough so that you can hear the music but that does not equate too load/disturbing the peace. Also It probably means that if he's not hard of hearing now, then he probably will be shortly.

Let me state is another way,
Would the volume of an ipod be worth getting into a fight over and bashing his face in.
Would the volume be worth getting arrested for assault (since you were the one threatening him).

From my perspective its rather silly to get so upset over the volume of someone's ipod. Based on your responses from this thread and what you yourself had stated you do seem to have anger issues. You’re seemingly getting upset over the fact that some of us believe you were a little over the top for threatening to hurt someone over music volume.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2007, 01:56 PM

Personally, I probably would've told you to piss off.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2007, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by MindFad View Post
Personally, I probably would've told you to piss off.
I'm with you. If someone insisted I turn down my music because they can hear it through my headphones, I would have ignored them. And if that person threatened me I would've simply given him the finger and continued to listen to my music. Where it goes from there is that person's decision.

If the music wasn't at a certain decibel level, no one has a right to demand you to turn your music down. There are noise laws, but it has to be at a certain volume. Unless these earbuds are some super duper earbuds, you wont get to that level.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2007, 02:28 PM

re car parked to close: had this happen a couple times. once was so close that I had to open my rear door and climb through the car to get to the wheel.

re loud music: Three things that bug me. When the T is shoulder crowded and someone close by is blaring their music, it is very annoying. esp., if more then one person is doing it.
2. when my damn neighbors start playing their music at like 1:30 (last night was 2:30) to wake me up and shake my bed because of the sub and i have to go over there half awake, and the guy is like, "it's not against the rules to play music!" and so i have to explain to him why it's not cool what he's doing. (done this at least 10 times now)
3. when a person is in the library and they think their music is soft when in fact the entire room can hear them; and then you ask them to turn it down, or off they just turn it on louder.

edit:
"There are noise laws, but it has to be at a certain volume. Unless these earbuds are some super duper earbuds, you wont get to that level."

when one is in a small area, like a T, you can hear loud music through headphones from a good distance. it doesn't take "super duper earbuds" to have music be annoyingly loud. A lot of the time now it's Applebuds that are the root of the loud music.

osiris  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2007, 02:28 PM

I'd like to ask a judge. Because music can be that loud, and it can be heard from a great distance away in an enclosed place.

osiris  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2007, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
I'm with you. If someone insisted I turn down my music because they can hear it through my headphones, I would have ignored them. And if that person threatened me I would've simply given him the finger and continued to listen to my music. Where it goes from there is that person's decision.

If the music wasn't at a certain decibel level, no one has a right to demand you to turn your music down. There are noise laws, but it has to be at a certain volume. Unless these earbuds are some super duper earbuds, you wont get to that level.
Ok, so you feel that your right to listen to music supercedes the rights of everyone else?

Railroader
Banned
Oct 30, 2007, 02:35 PM

So you're saying it is impossible to hear an ipod from 20 feet via the ear buds?

So I am lying? edit: for the complete waste of everyone's time?
Way to totally make something up!!!

Either that or you have reading comprehension issues.

You pick.

EDIT: third possibility, you are way too annoy-able. As is clearly evident in this thread.

Railroader
Banned
Oct 30, 2007, 02:37 PM

The person was not what you claim; the person flatly refused my requests.
Why is this so hard to fathom?
It's not. The way you're acting here, I can fully understand why they refused your requests.

You must feel like a big man having threatened someone over music played over ear buds.

osiris  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2007, 02:38 PM

Way to totally make something up!!!

Either that or you have reading comprehension issues.

You pick.
nice, smart ass.

osiris  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2007, 02:41 PM

It's not. The way you're acting here, I can fully understand why they refused your requests.

You must feel like a big man having threatened someone over music played over ear buds.
No, I politely asked twice.

How am I acting? Or rather, how should I act?

Railroader
Banned
Oct 30, 2007, 02:45 PM

No, I politely asked twice.

How am I acting? Or rather, how should I act?
Name calling, how mature.

If you can't ignore someone in public who has music playing in their headphones, and are then reduced to threatening them with violence, then you have anger and self-control issues.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2007, 02:45 PM

If you spent the 50¢ on earbuds you wouldn't be all pissed off now, now would you? Would you rather drown in your own impotent rage, or put a little thought into your response and not let other people's rudeness/carelessness get to you?

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2007, 02:47 PM

no need to worry about rr osiris, he's just an internet bully that's looking for people to get in fights with so that he can fulfill his "look at me" needs.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 30, 2007, 03:04 PM

Oh good, Dr. Brassplayersrock is in. Would you like RR to talk about his childhood now?

osiris  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2007, 03:06 PM

It's ok Dr. brassplayersrock², it really doesn't matter.
( Last edited by osiris; Oct 30, 2007 at 04:03 PM. )

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2007, 03:09 PM

that would help explain some of his persona on these boards Laminar. And thank you for calling me by the title given to me by my years of schooling.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2007, 03:31 PM

The iPod wasn't loud, it was the ECHO from the hollow head. Imagine if they were to CLEAN THEIR EARS!

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2007, 04:40 PM

Please explain. Music audible from an inescapable distance is invasion of my privacy. That's why public radio playing is illegal, because people can't apply moderation to their listening habits.
I wasn't aware that public radio playing is illegal.

I just find it hard to believe that it could have been so loud that you had a legitimate complaint. But I didn't hear it, so I guess I can't judge.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 30, 2007, 08:03 PM

Do NOT make me come up there and calm you down! It will NOT be pretty!

Seriously, chill out folks. Osiris, Railroader did not say he thought the sound would be inaudible, he said "not very loud." Railroader, don't lash out so much.

I think ANY music that is audible beyond the immediate area of the individual listening to it is likely to bug someone sometime. For example, at a traffic light, I really do NOT care to hear someone else's literally deafeningly loud music. And it is appropriate to ask an individual to turn his music down when you're forced to share a space with him/her for a time.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Railroader
Banned
Oct 30, 2007, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Do NOT make me come up there and calm you down! It will NOT be pretty!

Seriously, chill out folks. Osiris, Railroader did not say he thought the sound would be inaudible, he said "not very loud." Railroader, don't lash out so much.

I think ANY music that is audible beyond the immediate area of the individual listening to it is likely to bug someone sometime. For example, at a traffic light, I really do NOT care to hear someone else's literally deafeningly loud music. And it is appropriate to ask an individual to turn his music down when you're forced to share a space with him/her for a time.
Are you kidding? The guy threatened someone WITH PHYSICAL VIOLENCE who was listening to headphones because they were to loud for him from 20 feet away!!! I am not lashing out, I am intervening and letting this guy know I disapprove of his action.

Railroader
Banned
Oct 30, 2007, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Oh good, Dr. Brassplayersrock is in. Would you like RR to talk about his childhood now?
It was horrible *SOB* SOB* My momma dinnit luv me or cuddle wit me at all!!!!

Railroader
Banned
Oct 30, 2007, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
no need to worry about rr osiris, he's just an internet bully that's looking for people to get in fights with so that he can fulfill his "look at me" needs.
More name calling bpr? Not surprising coming from you.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2007, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
RR was just pointing out the logical view that Osiris was over reacting about some poor slob listening to his iPod. That doesn't like RailRoader being a bully, but if you cannot debate him on that subject so you started calling him names.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2007, 08:59 PM

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 30, 2007, 09:55 PM

Are you kidding? The guy threatened someone WITH PHYSICAL VIOLENCE who was listening to headphones because they were to loud for him from 20 feet away!!! I am not lashing out, I am intervening and letting this guy know I disapprove of his action.
You came across as reacting rather strongly to someone who might arguably have been absolutely no physical threat at all... And it's all words on the screen anyway-his reaction and how he reports it may be very different from how things actually happened on the street. Finally, if he really did threaten physical violence against someone, it's up to the purported victim to act and press charges or laugh it off. As I've found in this job, one cannot manage people or their behavior through web posts.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 30, 2007, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Imagine someone playing the music you hate the very worst in the whole world. Does it make you a geezer? No, it makes you someone with differing tastes. Asking someone to turn his crap down so you can listen to your own crap is not the same as some senile jerk whacking you because he thinks you're making fun of him.

And that image isn't funny either. If you're lucky, you might get to be old someday. Good luck.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2007, 10:05 PM

Oh lighten up

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Railroader
Banned
Oct 30, 2007, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Oh lighten up
2nded.

And if erik and I agree on something there might be something there.

loki74
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2007, 03:03 AM

A few months ago, I would have agreed with the comment "it couldn't have been that loud." But I just started my first college semester and... damn, some people are genuine assholes. It's happened several times when I'll get stuck in the elevator with some punk who thinks he's the **** because he's got his volume cranked up like crazy. I don't know about 20 feet, but in a crammed elevator, it is just as audible as if he had his laptop out and was using the built-in speakers.

Luckily, elevator rides are usually over pretty quickly, even though I'm on the top floor and these particular elevators are rather slow. Now, if this sort of thing was going on for... 20 minutes... well, I'd get pretty pissed off. I don't think I'd threaten anyone, though. And I certainly wouldn't hit them--if anything I'd just rip the headphones out of their ears/iPod.

What especially bugs me is when you make a polite request, and the offender looks you dead in the eye, and does the precise opposite of what you ask, just to disrespect you. I know it's wrong, but I honestly couldn't judge someone too harshly if they clocked such a person square in the face.

aaaaaaaaanyway, I think it's fair to say that those folks will be deaf (or near deaf) soon, so they've got theirs coming.

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

PB2K
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2007, 06:28 AM

it's the people with the mobile phones on speaker that annoy me most. The quality of the sound is crap and the whole idea to surround yourself with squeeking sounds as a "style" is really pathetic.

And while I am at it, those streetrappers who start "jammin" while you wait at the bus stop should find a place where they can practice alone ! Djeez that sucks so much.
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

Forum Links
Forum Rules