Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > 1-18-08

1-18-08 (Page 4)
brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2008, 11:51 PM

so, uhh, did anyone else stay till the very end of the credits and hear the garbled message? i couldn't make it out.

the music for the credits was awesomely done, some of the best movie music i've heard in a while.

5/5 or me. will go see it again.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2008, 03:34 AM

Yeah I wasn't too impressed.

I'm actually pretty pleased that I was able to make it all the way through the movie... This was by far the most frustrating movie experience that I've been through in a while. All the characters acted like they were 12 years old and made the stupidest decisions. I know it was a "Monster" movie, but it just amazed me how illogical it was.

Pretty much the only redeeming quality of the movie was the Trek teaser trailer.

EDIT: Apparently if you play that soundclip at the end of the credits backwards you can distinctly hear: "It's still alive"

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2008, 03:51 AM

I was shocked on how stupid everyone on the city acted. I mean of all places in the world NY should have responded better to what was going down.

The movie was such garbage I am still in shock. The actual amount of memorable scenes we saw that wasn't in the trailers and viral campaigns was literally seconds.

The thing that worries me now is the next Trek movie is going to turn out as I think lost is crap as was cloverfield so I don't have any faith in J.J. Seems he is good at just bringing up lots of stupid questions and letting the fans fill in all the plot gaps.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2008, 04:11 AM

My biggest disappointment with the movie was that it wasn't Cthulhu, but it was Lovecraftian in nature.

I was actually a little disappointed that you really did get good glimpses of the monster. I really like the idea of not really seeing it, sort of like a nightmare. Other than that, I enjoyed it.

Guillermo Del Toro (Labyrinth, Hellboy, etc.) was going to make At the Mountains of Madness, but Warner Bros. turned it down. I'm hoping they'll let him. If anyone could make a big budget Cthulhu movie, it'd be Del Toro.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jan 20, 2008, 07:34 PM

I thought it was OK. The ending wasn't really that inconclusive at all.

What really bothers me about these "monster" movies, is how indestructible these monsters are. No matter how big a creature is, if it is organic it would be brought down by the constant firing of heavy duty weapons and bombs.

It was fine for what it was: Blair Witch with a monster.

And as for the supposedly stupid and illogical choices made by characters: Can you really honestly say what you would have done in the same situation? They suffered loss and were in a state of shock. I thought they reacted in classical ways to some people react to disaster. Especially the main guy and his guilt about the girl he loved.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2008, 02:35 PM

Mostly it sucked because you already saw 80% of the action in the trailers.

1) The Status head getting knocked off.
2) A building exploding
3) The subway track scene
4) the monsters tail behind a building
5) the army attacking something
6) A helicopter crashing
7) that horse walking around

The monster is visually on screen for 1 min TOPS. Even when it is it sorta looks like a dinosaur mixed with a troll from lord of the rings. The little monsters are on screen for 1 min also but you don't really see anything at all.

Other than the footage I mentioned above you see about 4 more action scenes that is seconds long. Mostly the helicopter footage of the stupid looking beast.

The first 20 minutes is just boring party footage. Then you see almost everything from the tailer. The rest is just blair witch of them walking around filming themselves make stupid decisions one after another. All the people in it are 80 pound models that can kill little monsters with their super model strength.

You don't get ANY answers. Zero. You don't know where it came from, why it is trashing NY and most importantly why the hell nuclear bombs and tanks dont' hurt it in the slightest.

It is also 1.5 hours which I thought was going to be to short but was too long on the end as it is 95% walking around 5% anything happens so we couldn't wait for it to end. You also know in the start how the movie is going to end as they say they "recovered the footage in former Central park" so as soon as the characters hit that point you know this are coming to a cataclysmic end. I guess the camera was made out of the same bomb resistant material as the monster.

Out of ALL the footage that must have been filmed that day by news crews the army decides that 1 min of bad monster footage they found is worth watching 1.5 hours of a love story for.

Anyway, some of you still might like it as it might feel gritty and real because it was all handheld shaky cam which makes teenages think they are watching a snuff movie on youtube or something

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2008, 03:23 PM

not having a good day?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2008, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
What really bothers me about these "monster" movies, is how indestructible these monsters are. No matter how big a creature is, if it is organic it would be brought down by the constant firing of heavy duty weapons and bombs.
Have you ever read any of Lovecraft's stories? Granted, the military didn't have that type of technology during his era, but I still can't see Cthulhu being taken out with Tomahawk missiles.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2008, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post

1) The Status head getting knocked off.
2) A building exploding
3) The subway track scene
4) the monsters tail behind a building
5) the army attacking something
6) A helicopter crashing
7) that horse walking around

The monster is visually on screen for 1 min TOPS. Even when it is it sorta looks like a dinosaur mixed with a troll from lord of the rings. The little monsters are on screen for 1 min also but you don't really see anything at all.

Other than the footage I mentioned above you see about 4 more action scenes that is seconds long. Mostly the helicopter footage of the stupid looking beast.

The first 20 minutes is just boring party footage. Then you see almost everything from the tailer. The rest is just blair witch of them walking around filming themselves make stupid decisions one after another. All the people in it are 80 pound models that can kill little monsters with their super model strength.

You don't get ANY answers. Zero. You don't know where it came from, why it is trashing NY and most importantly why the hell nuclear bombs and tanks dont' hurt it in the slightest.

It is also 1.5 hours which I thought was going to be to short but was too long on the end as it is 95% walking around 5% anything happens so we couldn't wait for it to end. You also know in the start how the movie is going to end as they say they "recovered the footage in former Central park" so as soon as the characters hit that point you know this are coming to a cataclysmic end. I guess the camera was made out of the same bomb resistant material as the monster.

Out of ALL the footage that must have been filmed that day by news crews the army decides that 1 min of bad monster footage they found is worth watching 1.5 hours of a love story for.

Anyway, some of you still might like it as it might feel gritty and real because it was all handheld shaky cam which makes teenages think they are watching a snuff movie on youtube or something
Not going to defend the producers' decision to make this type of movie (although I personally liked it), but it is what it is: a hyperrealistic monster experience from ground level. You shouldn't expect to see more than glimpses here and there of the creatures. Even so, they did manage to fit in a few panoramic shots, via TV news, and during the helicopter ride. So I think, in that respect, it was done well. Reading your critique and others, I think perhaps expectations weren't managed well by the producers. This wasn't supposed to be a movie shot in a conventional manner. I knew that, going in, but I get the impression that a lot of people didn't, and those were the viewers who got upset.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2008, 04:34 PM

(…)

(…)

(…)
Thanks for your critique, really… know I now I can avoid it, -as I had guessed right-.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2008, 04:43 PM

well, something about it must be good

1. "Cloverfield," $41 million.

2. "27 Dresses," $22.4 million.

3. "The Bucket List," $15.2 million.

4. "Juno," $10.3 million.

5. "National Treasure: Book of Secrets," $8.1 million.

6. "First Sunday," $7.8 million.

7. "Mad Money," $7.7 million.

8. "Alvin and the Chipmunks," $7 million.

9. "I Am Legend," $5.1 million.

10. "Atonement," $4.8 million.
Movie Box Office Results - Moviefone

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2008, 04:45 PM

I figure first-weekend results are mainly a credit to a movie's marketing. We'll see if it survives the next week.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2008, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
I figure first-weekend results are mainly a credit to a movie's marketing. We'll see if it survives the next week.
Ya it totally is. hype hype hype. That is what is good about the movie.

I bet it takes a pretty big dive next week not that it has much to compete with.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2008, 05:24 PM

just because you didnt like it doesn't mean it's a bad movie swg. back away from the thread

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2008, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
just because you didnt like it doesn't mean it's a bad movie swg. back away from the thread
Well just because I didn't like it doesn't mean I am "Having a bad day" but if your socks get knocked off watching people walk and argue for 1:20 min be happy with that.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2008, 06:06 PM

Hmm, just got back from seeing Cloverfield.

Very, very frustrating. Good in parts, and as ppl have said, very annoying in others.

Victory of Hype over substance for me, but heck I use a Mac, I am used to it.
( Last edited by The Placid Casual; Jan 21, 2008 at 06:13 PM. )

Atomic Rooster
Jan 21, 2008, 06:40 PM

Haven't read the whole thread but from what I've heard elsewhere it's good to take motion sickness pills...Yes or no? Can't stand drunk camera persons.

Also I think if you are into these kind of movies "The Host" would be a better movie to go see or rent. It was very good but it's Korean with English subs.

Gwoemul (2006)

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2008, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
Haven't read the whole thread but from what I've heard elsewhere it's good to take motion sickness pills...Yes or no? Can't stand drunk camera persons.

Also I think if you are into these kind of movies "The Host" would be a better movie to go see or rent. It was very good but it's Korean with English subs.

Gwoemul (2006)
If you can handle 1st person video games and blaire witch you are fine. If not you are totally screwed.

I also saw the host. Started off ok but really dragged on and got depressing.

Atomic Rooster
Jan 21, 2008, 06:55 PM

If you can handle 1st person video games and blaire witch you are fine. If not you are totally screwed.

I also saw the host. Started off ok but really dragged on and got depressing.
10 minutes of Blair Witch was all I could handle. Got vertigo (dizzy) and nearly puked.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2008, 07:03 PM

10 minutes of Blair Witch was all I could handle. Got vertigo (dizzy) and nearly puked.
You're out then. This one is 10x worse.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jan 21, 2008, 08:14 PM

The whole point of why people like SWG is disappointed is they expected a monster movie spectacular. What they got instead was a love story set against a backdrop of absurdity. The monster/disaster is merely there to put a group of people into an impossible situation where they have to make tough choices. It's really a story about love and friendship.

This is exactly what "The Host" does. I think someone might have picked up a hint from that movie when coming up with Cloverfield. Either that or they just had the same basic idea: Real people in an impossible / absurd situation.

What went wrong? I am assuming the hype. People were looking for a big blockbuster FX spectacular and they got something else. It reminds me of Chuckit's inane reaction to the Air because he was expecting a Mac Book Pro update instead.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2008, 08:45 PM

What they got instead was a very cheesy and predictable love story set against a backdrop of absurdity.
Fixed!

The final scene/ending was just ham, really. I laughed, just couldn't help myself. But I guess I am an evil Brit so maybe it missed the heart strings.

JohnM15141
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2008, 08:47 PM

I just saw this movie today, enjoyed it!

It was a fun ride, the different perspective was interesting. I think they stuck to it well, I never felt like what I was seeing was contrived. It was exactly what you would expect from a single perspective of a major event yet, still giving you a hint of what the major event was...

I think most of the negative criticism here is because most are used to the major hollywood blockbusters and the overall "God" perspective over the entire story, i.e. we know what's going on but the players on the screen don't. In this case we knew as much as the actors did... unlike its closest genre type "Blair Witch Project" where we are clueless to what is going on and try to figure it out from the snippets of video, I found that a bit frustrating. Here I enjoyed the ride.

Great Movie! Left me hungry for more...

...Ripe for a sequel, to the story, but not to the style! It worked here, but that bullet has now been spent.
----------------------------------------------------------
"He who is tired of Weird Al, is tired of life"
Homer J. Simpson, the 90's
----------------------------------------------------------

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jan 21, 2008, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by The Placid Casual View Post
Fixed!

The final scene/ending was just ham, really. I laughed, just couldn't help myself. But I guess I am an evil Brit so maybe it missed the heart strings.
Being British has prevented you from ever experiencing love? That's sad

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2008, 09:07 PM

Being British has prevented you from ever experiencing love? That's sad
Hehe, far from it, but I guess I have a healthier does of cynicism than most these days

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jan 21, 2008, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by JohnM15141 View Post
...Ripe for a sequel, to the story, but not to the style! It worked here, but that bullet has now been spent.
Yeah. Because Blair Witch Project 2 did so well

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2008, 09:15 PM

that movie deviated so much from the original idea for the first movie that it should have been a straight to dvd. sucked so bad

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2008, 09:17 AM

No idea how important this is to the film, but...

This is a link to some "whisper", played in reverse.

Cloverfield whisper reverse: listen online

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2008, 09:24 AM

^ pretty damn important actually

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2008, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
No idea how important this is to the film, but...

This is a link to some "whisper", played in reverse.

Cloverfield whisper reverse: listen online
All I hear is "We're making a sequel".

Another piece of the exciting puzzle solved!

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2008, 11:47 AM

analogue, I know just the thing you should get for your birthday.

Hehe

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2008, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by xi_hyperon View Post

Hehe

-t

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2008, 07:30 PM

I think this movie is for a younger generation, it seemed awesome to me.

Signature depreciated.

Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2008, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post
I think this movie is for a younger generation, it seemed awesome to me.

I got to say

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2008, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Tyler McAdams View Post

Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2008, 08:15 PM

Ya the helicopter part was a joke. The idiotic pilot dediced to fly the chopper nice and low and close to the monster, he also managed to put the chopper between the monster and a bomber dropping bombs.

Me and my friend both looked at each other and said "Fly UP and AWAY!"

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2008, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Have you ever read any of Lovecraft's stories? Granted, the military didn't have that type of technology during his era, but I still can't see Cthulhu being taken out with Tomahawk missiles.

Don't nuke Cthulhu, that just makes him mad.

And radioactive too. Nice going, ape-thing

Aquataris
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2008, 02:46 AM

Since the subject of Cthulhu is a sub-thread within this thread, I would hope that if "The Call Of Cthulhu" were to ever be put to big budget film that it would be done in the same vein as "The Ninth Gate."
If I had a signature, it would be better than yours.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2008, 02:34 AM

Gwoemul (2006)
[rant]
Ugh. The Host. Talk about a movie that doesn't live up to (internet) hype. A good monster movie ruined by attempts at character development and a healthy dose of Americans are Evil. If I wanted family dynamics I'd watch some introspective drama. It's a monster movie! Monsters don't care about family dynamics! Monsters care about carnage! Who cares if someone is a failure as a father!? Hello, it's a monster movie! Just show a bunch of people getting killed/eaten/smashed and some mayhem and destruction and everybody is happy! Maybe some guns and gratuitous nudity just to be safe! Can't someone make a cool looking monster and have it kill a bunch of people and destroy a bunch of stuff and have some army guys with guns and tanks and jets attacks it and then have some naked chicks running around to justify the gore for an R rating without getting all sensitive and philosophical?!
[/rant]
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 24, 2008, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by Aquataris View Post
Since the subject of Cthulhu is a sub-thread within this thread, I would hope that if "The Call Of Cthulhu" were to ever be put to big budget film that it would be done in the same vein as "The Ninth Gate."
The Ninth Gate was ok, I liked where they were going with it and Depp is always superb. However, someone really should have advised them on the ways dealers and collectors handle antiquarian books. I know, it's just a minor thing, but every time I saw him mishandling such fictionally valuable tomes (cigarette ash, no gloves, opening them flat) I cringed.

I do hope that someday someone will come out with a high profile Cthulhu blockbuster, something true to the lore with a really hefty budget.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 24, 2008, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Aquataris View Post
Directed by Ridley Scott and produced by William Blatty.

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
I know, it's just a minor thing, but every time I saw him mishandling such fictionally valuable tomes (cigarette ash, no gloves, opening them flat) I cringed.
That was on purpose, it was to show the character's complete lack of morals. When he's in the Baroness' house, she says to him, "Blackmail doesn't entitle you to smoke in my library, Mr. Corso."
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2008, 04:05 PM

Well just because I didn't like it doesn't mean I am "Having a bad day" but if your socks get knocked off watching people walk and argue for 1:20 min be happy with that.
Couldn't have said it better myself. What a booooring movie. It could have been soooo much better if filmed like a normal movie, not through a cheap video camera. That got annoying after about 5 minutes. Plus, listening to these terdcutters argue at the party was lame.

The part with the B-2 was pretty cool, but otherwise, a lame movie.

Plus, what a movie grosses would be drastically changed if you could get your money back if you thought it was lame.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2008, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by ctt1wbw View Post
Plus, what a movie grosses would be drastically changed if you could get your money back if you thought it was lame.
That would be great if people were honest, but there are too many people who would loev a movie and say they hated it just to get their money back.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2008, 04:56 PM

Yeah, true. I'd still like to see a system where you paid based on how good the movie was. That way movies like Cloverfield (which means what, btw?) wouldn't be ranked number one, thereby misleading people into believing it's the best movie evar.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 24, 2008, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
That was on purpose, it was to show the character's complete lack of morals. When he's in the Baroness' house, she says to him, "Blackmail doesn't entitle you to smoke in my library, Mr. Corso."
Fair enough, but he wouldn't be in business very long if he did that kind of **** in the real world.
- Thomas Paine

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jan 24, 2008, 07:18 PM

The whole point of why people like SWG is disappointed is they expected a monster movie spectacular. What they got instead was a love story set against a backdrop of absurdity. The monster/disaster is merely there to put a group of people into an impossible situation where they have to make tough choices. It's really a story about love and friendship.

This is exactly what "The Host" does. I think someone might have picked up a hint from that movie when coming up with Cloverfield. Either that or they just had the same basic idea: Real people in an impossible / absurd situation.

What went wrong? I am assuming the hype. People were looking for a big blockbuster FX spectacular and they got something else. It reminds me of Chuckit's inane reaction to the Air because he was expecting a Mac Book Pro update instead.
Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
[rant]
Ugh. The Host. Talk about a movie that doesn't live up to (internet) hype. A good monster movie ruined by attempts at character development and a healthy dose of Americans are Evil. If I wanted family dynamics I'd watch some introspective drama. It's a monster movie! Monsters don't care about family dynamics! Monsters care about carnage! Who cares if someone is a failure as a father!? Hello, it's a monster movie! Just show a bunch of people getting killed/eaten/smashed and some mayhem and destruction and everybody is happy! Maybe some guns and gratuitous nudity just to be safe! Can't someone make a cool looking monster and have it kill a bunch of people and destroy a bunch of stuff and have some army guys with guns and tanks and jets attacks it and then have some naked chicks running around to justify the gore for an R rating without getting all sensitive and philosophical?!
[/rant]
Originally Posted by ctt1wbw View Post
Couldn't have said it better myself. What a booooring movie. It could have been soooo much better if filmed like a normal movie, not through a cheap video camera. That got annoying after about 5 minutes. Plus, listening to these terdcutters argue at the party was lame.

The part with the B-2 was pretty cool, but otherwise, a lame movie.
Thanks for confirming that theory.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2008, 11:20 PM

Cloverfield will be a definite DVD view for me. For starters my wife hates the hand held notion, and I think it would get annoying. I don't get motion sickness from that kind of stuff, but I can't even watch Battlestar Galactica without getting really annoyed. The suck ass camera work on that show that is supposed to convey this sense of immediacy and reality makes it look like a low budget affair where a steadycam was out of the budget. I suspect Cloverfield would just piss me off as well.
I really plan on watching Cloverfield, just not in the theater. Hopefully the DVD will come with a ton of extras to expand upon the concept and story.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

paul w
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2008, 12:18 PM

I *really* enjoyed it, as I took it for it was, not what I expected or hoped it to be. I would have even preferred to know nothing about it going in, although that's a difficult way to market a film...

I'm definitely among those who responded to the use of handheld video as storytelling device - it's really telling how much more real it felt than the usual super high definition monster movie. Maybe because I'm from and live in New York. Maybe because I was so fascinated by those Tsunami vidoes on the net and sat on the couch all day watching 9/11 unfold before my eyes in crappy, poorly shot video.

Also - it's a bloody monster film - I love how some people selectively apply suspension of disbelief as it suits them. As long as it suits the story I can accept a few flaws in plot.

Lava Lamp Freak
Jan 25, 2008, 12:53 PM

What will be the new must-have toy next Christmas? The Cloverfield monster, of course!

70 points of articulation and incredible life-like detail
Authentic sound
14” tall
10 parasites
Two interchangeable heads
Statue of Liberty head accessory
Special Cloverfield collector’s edition packaging
Cloverfield Movie Monster - Product Detail

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2008, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by xi_hyperon View Post

Hehe
Originally Posted by Lava Lamp Freak View Post
What will be the new must-have toy next Christmas? The Cloverfield monster, of course!

Cloverfield Movie Monster - Product Detail
Beat you by a couple of days. Funny they don't have an image of the actual toy. Guess it's not finalized.

Forum Links
Forum Rules