Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > the graphic card...

the graphic card...
CandyMaffia
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2002, 02:06 AM

is there any possibiity to replace the graphic card with a better one in the newer ibooks models?? if you have the right tools and so on, isthere any card you can buy to make it work?? ideas??
imac g5 20" isight ed. user with ipod shuffle, ibook g3 700mhz, nokia 6680, canon cp3200

Carl Norum
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 13, 2002, 03:09 AM

Originally posted by CandyMaffia:
<STRONG>is there any possibiity to replace the graphic card with a better one in the newer ibooks models?? if you have the right tools and so on, isthere any card you can buy to make it work?? ideas?? </STRONG>
This was just recently covered in the Mac Modification forum.

There is no way to change the video card.

dante
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2002, 03:36 AM

You'll need a hacksaw and and soldering iron. Then you cut....

nick h
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2002, 03:57 AM

no.

no. no. no. no. no. grrrr.
Roam: iBook (Dual USB) ~ 600Mhz, 384MB, 15GB, DVD, 12.1", OS X

xyber233
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2002, 11:22 AM

Sorry. You are stuck with it .

rampant
Banned
Location: permanent resident of the Land of the Easily Aroused
Feb 13, 2002, 11:34 AM

Yup . Bitch is soldered onto the Mobo.

xyber233
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2002, 11:21 AM

Thats really the only thing that would prevent me from buying an iBook. If it has an Ati radeon mobility, I would snatch one up right away.

Jansar
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2002, 11:27 AM

That's one thing Apple doesn't understand. It's so easy to make expansion slots, but NOOOOOO...Steve has to make it impossible for people to get new cards (so they buy his products). I've suddenly lost respect for him
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

CandyMaffia  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2002, 12:51 PM

I think you are talking crap..why are you giving up apple, just because they make graphic-cards that you cant change?? diont be redicoulus man!! you have to accept it...that is life!

imac g5 20" isight ed. user with ipod shuffle, ibook g3 700mhz, nokia 6680, canon cp3200

Tyler Riti
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2002, 12:53 PM

Originally posted by Jansar:
<STRONG>That's one thing Apple doesn't understand. It's so easy to make expansion slots, but NOOOOOO...Steve has to make it impossible for people to get new cards (so they buy his products). I've suddenly lost respect for him </STRONG>
I don't know of a laptop, Mac or PC, where you can replace the graphics chip. They're almost always soldered to the motherboard since sockets take up precious precious space.

Carl Norum
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2002, 03:58 PM

Originally posted by Jansar:
<STRONG>That's one thing Apple doesn't understand. It's so easy to make expansion slots, but NOOOOOO...Steve has to make it impossible for people to get new cards (so they buy his products). I've suddenly lost respect for him </STRONG>
I believe that there has never been a laptop made available with an upgradeable video card - Mac or PC. So I don't think that it's as easy as you think it is to put "expansion slots" on a laptop computer. Have you ever looked inside an iBook? If you had, you'd realize that there is quite literally no space to put an "expansion slot", whatever that is, or indeed anything more inside that computer.

Edited: Snippier than I meant to be - too many midterms.

[ 02-16-2002: Message edited by: Carl Norum ]

Scooterboy
Senior User
Feb 14, 2002, 07:05 PM

There was that 3dfx video upgrade dual monitor support Cardbus thingy that was available for the older Powerbook G3 Wallstreet way back when....

You know, the ATi Rage 128 Mobility is not a bad card, and is better than cards in many other budget PC laptops. I'd expect the iBook to get the ATi Radeon 16MB DDR chipset when the Powerbooks are sporting the Radeon 7500 or nVidia's GeForce4Go, which will be in high end PC laptops before the Powerbook.
That's my only complaint with Apple's Powerbook; that they are always a bit late in getting the high end video chipsets, as compared to similarly priced and spec'd PC laptops.
Scooters are more fun than computers and only slightly more frustrating

Chemmy
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 15, 2002, 11:45 PM

If you want a computer you can upgrade, get a desktop. Laptops are not upgrade-able. No laptop is. Not Dells, not Compaqs, not Alienwares, not Macs. It's just the way it is, what with all the squeezing that goes on inside the case.

1.25ghz 15" PowerBook

rampant
Banned
Feb 18, 2002, 06:27 PM

Originally posted by Tyler Riti:
<STRONG>

I don't know of a laptop, Mac or PC, where you can replace the graphics chip. They're almost always soldered to the motherboard since sockets take up precious precious space.</STRONG>
I must be pretty special, because my laptop has a replacable video card and replacable Video Ram .

Compaq 2700T, desktop replacement. You can take out the Radeon and replace it with a GF2GO should you find it (I believe) and you can definately upgrade the VRAM from 16 to 32 mb, they sell it on their phone line and I've taken out the chips.

x user
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2002, 07:06 PM

But hell it's a compaq that uses WINDOWS, Comon, I'll beat you in RTCW with my iBook 600 Comon bring it!

Serious, a PC laptop CAN'T play games half as good as a mac Laptop. Ask anyone.

joemac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2002, 12:25 AM

you are special, you own a Compaq...LOL.

rampant
Banned
Feb 21, 2002, 06:41 PM

Originally posted by joemac:
<STRONG>you are special, you own a Compaq...LOL.</STRONG>
Don't think I didn't catch that, you slimey bastard .

Their laptops are pretty good, it's their desktop line that sucks.

rampant
Banned
Feb 21, 2002, 06:43 PM

Originally posted by x user:
<STRONG>But hell it's a compaq that uses WINDOWS, Comon, I'll beat you in RTCW with my iBook 600 Comon bring it!

Serious, a PC laptop CAN'T play games half as good as a mac Laptop. Ask anyone.</STRONG>
Are j00 kidding?

Show me a mac laptop that runs Quake 3 above 100 fps at 1024 x 768.

Hell, the titanium on fastest settings at 640 x 480 only got 63fps or something like that on the benchmarks.

G3towerdude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2002, 07:54 PM

Several recent Dells have upgradeable video - folks were able to go from ATI to Nvidia GeForce2Go.

G3towerdude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2002, 07:58 PM

Serious, a PC laptop CAN'T play games half as good as a mac Laptop. Ask anyone.[/QB]
LOL! Which mac laptops are available with a GeForce2Go? My iBook 500 gets about 2 frames per second in Wolfenstein, so unless the TiBook can multiply that by 40, then I think your statement is false. A 1.1ghz Pentium III laptop with GF2G will DESTROY any currently available Mac portable in gaming. Fact.

rampant
Banned
Feb 21, 2002, 09:05 PM

Seriously, I mean, I like macs, but there's some things macs don't do well, and there's some things mac portable don't do well, and fps gaming is one of those.

xyber233
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2002, 11:11 AM

How bad are iBook framerates?

rampant
Banned
Feb 22, 2002, 11:18 AM

Originally posted by xyber233:
<STRONG>How bad are iBook framerates?</STRONG>
Well, with an increadibly tweaked config, (locki's) you get around 68 fps in the timedemo. I made a good config where you get 50fps in the timedemo while still having the goodies on, high textures, high geodetail, etc. Still, 50 fps is not playable online if you wish to see the game more than 20 times a second . Plus, the ibook doesn't have a good ns refresh rate, which causes horrible screen tearing starting at relatively low numbers, as well as makeing it not very smooth.

xyber233
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2002, 12:14 PM

How about UT?

rampant
Banned
Feb 23, 2002, 08:17 PM

Originally posted by xyber233:
<STRONG>How about UT?</STRONG>
With everything as optomized as it gets, deck 16 yields about 30 fps average or less online, and 40+ offline. Of course, deck 16 is much simpler than other levels and it's averages are about +10.

dragonbong
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2002, 09:54 PM

In response to the Compaq line... I hate to say it but they do pose a variety of problems, with not only drivers, but with tech support for damages or otherwise and have problems in the architecture they use.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2002, 10:40 PM

Originally posted by Tyler Riti:
<STRONG>

I don't know of a laptop, Mac or PC, where you can replace the graphics chip. They're almost always soldered to the motherboard since sockets take up precious precious space.</STRONG>
Dell desktop-replacement notebooks have this feature. You are all wrong.

However, the iBook is impossible to upgrade.

rampant
Banned
Feb 25, 2002, 10:58 PM

Originally posted by dragonbong:
<STRONG>In response to the Compaq line... I hate to say it but they do pose a variety of problems, with not only drivers, but with tech support for damages or otherwise and have problems in the architecture they use. </STRONG>
Architecture? Eh? I've had my 2700T for a while and the only problem I had was XP related, so they sent me the OS disk with an autoupdate on it that made my computer work. Compaq's support has changed, they got a B+ on Cnet's tech support tests, above toshiba, IBM, Dell, and HP.

dragonbong
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2002, 11:02 PM

Originally posted by rampant:
<STRONG>

Architecture? Eh? I've had my 2700T for a while and the only problem I had was XP related, so they sent me the OS disk with an autoupdate on it that made my computer work. Compaq's support has changed, they got a B+ on Cnet's tech support tests, above toshiba, IBM, Dell, and HP.</STRONG>

Wow cnet the bible of life. In usage compaq has the attitude of "well here's your computer, now don't call us we'll call you". There service is so horrendous you changing the hard drive is like trying to pull teeth. Local "compaq retailers" actually dont' have certification to work on the product in house but have to ship off all problems to them and have fun waiting. And i know it's not like apple doesn't have lag times with their shipments back, but at least we can change the OS w/o problems. Once you have 98, ME, or 2000 on the system that's it you're stuck with it. Compaq won't even give the drivers to you if you beg. But overall with PC laptops I gotta say that in terms of the graphics card (aside from intel chipset using shared vram) a 32mb nvidia card kicks an ati 128 rage's ass.

rampant
Banned
Feb 27, 2002, 02:31 AM

<STRONG>

Wow cnet the bible of life. In usage compaq has the attitude of "well here's your computer, now don't call us we'll call you". There service is so horrendous you changing the hard drive is like trying to pull teeth. Local "compaq retailers" actually dont' have certification to work on the product in house but have to ship off all problems to them and have fun waiting. And i know it's not like apple doesn't have lag times with their shipments back, but at least we can change the OS w/o problems. Once you have 98, ME, or 2000 on the system that's it you're stuck with it. Compaq won't even give the drivers to you if you beg. But overall with PC laptops I gotta say that in terms of the graphics card (aside from intel chipset using shared vram) a 32mb nvidia card kicks an ati 128 rage's ass.</STRONG>
What are you talking aboot? I've used the support page to download radeon drivers for ME, 2k, and XP.

dragonbong
Forum Regular
Mar 7, 2002, 06:45 PM

Originally posted by rampant:
<STRONG>

What are you talking aboot? I've used the support page to download radeon drivers for ME, 2k, and XP.</STRONG>
I'm quite curious if you have tried to put another os onto the toshiba other than the one supplied upon opening the box. If not try it and tell me the results when trying to get the internal modem/nic and other stuff to work.

rampant
Banned
Mar 7, 2002, 11:41 PM

<STRONG>

I'm quite curious if you have tried to put another os onto the toshiba other than the one supplied upon opening the box. If not try it and tell me the results when trying to get the internal modem/nic and other stuff to work.</STRONG>
Oh, I was referring to compaq's laptops and support, not toshiba.

Forum Links
Forum Rules