Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12.1" iBook and eye strain

12.1" iBook and eye strain
JeffZPgh
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 15, 2002, 12:56 AM

For the last few weeks my eyes have been bugging the hell out of me...I can only conclude that it's all the time I spend in front of computers throughout the day, which consists of a PC at work and my 12.1" iBook at home. It's mostly at home that I notice my eyes really bothering me (though I wonder whether this is because I've spent all day focusing on the 17" CRT on my desk at work and am already strained before I make it home).

Anybody else find that they're suffering after prolonged exposure to their iBook? I've been using mine as my only home machine since last August or so. In maybe the last month I've been logging a lot of hours on it, probably 3-4 per night.

I laughed at the magnified 14" iBook model when it came out and thought it was ugly like many of you...now I find myself wondering whether I should replace mine with one. That or start limiting my time in front of computers, which isn't too likely (given that I write code for a living).

What do you all think?

Jeff

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2002, 01:10 AM

I haven't had any strain from my 12" ibook so far, but if you can, ditch the crt for an lcd. It will dramatically cut down on eye strain. When I ditched my crt, I found that I could spend a much longer time in front of the computer before my eyes began to bother me. The same goes for many people (I think there was a thread about this in peripherals?)

nick h
Forum Regular
Feb 15, 2002, 01:14 AM

1024x768 on a 12" screen hurts your eyes? Gee, and I always complain about 12pt. font. Maybe you need some reading glasses?

The 14" will definately be bigger, but I would ask yourself if bigger all around (size, weight, bulkiness) would really solve your problem, or just cause more.

Perhaps an eye doctor would be more help...
Roam: iBook (Dual USB) ~ 600Mhz, 384MB, 15GB, DVD, 12.1", OS X

Cellery
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2002, 01:25 AM

I use a 10.4" LCD on my VAIO laptop that has the same 1024x768 resolution as the iBook. It's super nice to use my TiBook, even though it only ~100 pixels wider. I don't notice any eyestrain on the small screen, so I'd imagine the CRT would be suspect. Since I went all-LCD a couple years back, my eyes feel much much better.

dragonbong
Forum Regular
Feb 15, 2002, 03:40 AM

Well first of all #1 I already wear glasses and i get eyestrain. However ever since i switched to an lcd at work (6hr work days) no eyestrain. At home i use the ibook for around 3 hours to do my school work. and no eyestrain now. maybe the crt at work.

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2002, 03:58 AM

Check the refresh rate on the work CRT - when I went to my dad's office, I was apalled to see he was using his CRT at 60 Hz. Ouch!

brklymike
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Location: study at California, USA/live at Manila, Philippines
Feb 15, 2002, 09:04 AM

i use the same mac as you, and i have all the fonts and icon sizes set high so that everything is comfortable to read. optometrists suggest that you take a break every hour or so and focus on something of a different distance. you can do both of these, along w/ getting the bigger ibook...unless you bring your mac w/ you everyday, in w/c case you'd be better off w/ what you have right now.
i'm on a dual usb ibook rev. a 500/256.

brklymike
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Location: study at California, USA/live at Manila, Philippines
Feb 15, 2002, 09:10 AM

by the way, i think the 14" ibook looks great. the space on either side of the keyboard makes it look a bit like the powerbook. if i were getting a mac now, i'd choose it over my 12" ibook, probably.
i'm on a dual usb ibook rev. a 500/256.

joltguy
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 15, 2002, 10:03 AM

Awww, now why'd you have to go and say that, brklymike? Now you're going to get a bunch of us in here telling you why the 12" is so much better than the 14"....

Back on topic though, I log some serious hours on my 12" iBook (mostly between 11PM & 5AM) and I'm happy to report that I do not experience any sort of eye strain of any sort. As others have suggested, check the refresh rate of that CRT, it may be the culprit.

JeffZPgh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 15, 2002, 10:10 AM

I already wear glasses (or contacts).

I'm pretty sure the CRT at work is running at 75hz, but will double-check.

As for the 14.1", I know it's simply bigger, but I'm starting to think that bigger might be better.

Thanks for the feedback.

Jeff

Forum Links
Forum Rules