Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook 600 vs. iMac G4

iBook 600 vs. iMac G4
buffalolee
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 18, 2002, 04:07 PM

Hello,

I'm having trouble deciding whether I should get the iMac G4 or the iBook 600.

iBook:
-Portable
-Word Processing any where
-Need better graphics card for video games
-iBook update in Macworld NY?
-Don't like G3 Processor

iMac G4:
-Good g4 processor
-15" lcd display
-Superdrive
-Compact

Powerbook:
-Too expensive, enough said.

I like the iBook a lot, but what is stopping me from buying the machine are two key factors: G3 processor + outdate video card. Whatever the case is, the iBook is portable.

The iMac has some important features:
-g4 processor so I can run altivetic enhanced programs
-15" display for FC3
-Superdrive

Which way shall I sway? Would I miss the portability of a laptop? Would I enjoy the G4 processor?

I'm a PC user who is considering to buy his first Apple Computer. I'm also a "power user" too. This laptop will work in conjunction with my desktop, and not a replacement.

nick h
Forum Regular
Feb 18, 2002, 05:07 PM

Well, if you are REALLY into games, you might be better off looking into a PowerMac than an iMac.

If you are moderately into games, get the iMac. The advantages are as follows:

- G4
- More MHz
- WAY better graphics card
- Larger HD
- Can hold more RAM
- Larger screen
- More ports
- Faster burner/Superdrive (note the low end model has the fastest CD-R burner of them all)
- Comes with full size keyboard
- Cheaper AppleCare plan

The best part about the iBook is it's pretty much *all around* the best laptop you can get for your money. The biggest downside is once you get it, yeah you are stuck with a G3. Not that the G3 is a bad processor, but realize the G4 is the "future" . If you do get the iBook, get the 600MHz model. It is well worth your money (faster processor, faster bus). Also, almost everyone here recommends the 12" model (and I agree with them). I don't think you'll regret not having portability that much at all, though.

However, you mentioned you already have a Winbox desktop machine...
I just got my iBook with the intent that I would get a G4 iMac before summer. That way I can have portability AND a G4.

Having said this... maybe you should get the iBook now. Portability is great, but not always as neccesary as some people venture to think it is. The G4 iMac is a brand new Mac, so there will definately be a price drop on it sooner or later (anyone have any ideas when). You might want to get the iBook, and then look into an iMac in 6 months to a year?

Whatever your decision is, enjoy your new Mac!

[ 02-18-2002: Message edited by: nick h ]
Roam: iBook (Dual USB) ~ 600Mhz, 384MB, 15GB, DVD, 12.1", OS X

Jan Van Boghout
Feb 18, 2002, 05:08 PM

If you are a "power user" , go for the iMac . The G4 and SuperDrive are things that will let you keep it longer in the future , and it's a faster machine .
Of course , the portability of the iBook is great , it's an absolutely wonderful machine (believe me) and I don't find it slow at all .

Well , if you have a chance , go to an Apple reseller and try out both machines , that's the best way to decide .
Congratulations with your first Mac !

Hobbes
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 18, 2002, 06:21 PM

I can relate to your dilemma. I was faced with the same choice over the last couple of weeks.

I've been using a iBooks and PowerBooks for a while now. The new iMac was the only machine that almost tempted me away from the portables and back to desktops. I almost got one for the same reasons you stated.

But in my case, being a web designer who travels and works on the road a lot, I just couldn't see any practical way to give up portability and still be as productive as I need to.

So basically, it boils down to how much you value portability. As with any portable, if you go with the iBook, as I did, then you will sacrifice some performance. But if you really need portability, then it'll be more than worth it.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2002, 06:46 PM

I think the iBook speed issues are less that people think. The newest iBook (600Mhz/100Mgz bus) runs OSX really well if you upgrade the RAM to 384MB or more. I was doing some object database development for my dad's charity this weekend, and today when I went to work, I just loaded a copy of the server on my iBook and worked on it during the day. The performance was great.

If screen size is an issue, you can always hook the iBook up to an external monitor to mirror the screen's video. It's still limited to 1024x768, but that's what the iMac has as well.

For gaming, the iBook is completely inadequate for even a casual gamer. I have a desktop for that (two actually, one Mac, one PC). If you want to play games, you have to go with the iMac.

The more I use the iBook, the less I seem to want to ever use my desktop. The only reason I ever do anymore is to play games.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Max8319
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 18, 2002, 07:06 PM

iMac. period.

x user
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2002, 07:11 PM

For gaming, the iBook is completely inadequate for even a casual gamer. I have a desktop for that (two actually, one Mac, one PC). If you want to play games, you have to go with the iMac.
I beg to differ. I play RTCW (qIII engine) on my iBook 500 (overclocked to 600) ALL THE TIME, and I whip peoples tushies...

People on G4's and PC's. It's all in your settings. Turn the quality down a bit, and you can really rock on a iBook.

Here is a list of games I've played on this iBook

Tony Hawk2
4x4 Evolution
Return to Castle Wolfenstein MP Trial
Escape from Monkey Island
Plus tons of shareware Ect.....

It works!

I would go with the iBook if your looking to suppliment a desktop.

rampant
Banned
Location: permanent resident of the Land of the Easily Aroused
Feb 18, 2002, 07:47 PM

Originally posted by x user:
<STRONG>

I beg to differ. I play RTCW (qIII engine) on my iBook 500 (overclocked to 600) ALL THE TIME, and I whip peoples tushies...

People on G4's and PC's. It's all in your settings. Turn the quality down a bit, and you can really rock on a iBook.

Tony Hawk2
4x4 Evolution

It works!

I would go with the iBook if your looking to suppliment a desktop.</STRONG>

you crazy!

on the ibook 500, completely tweaked, I squeezed 50 fps out of the demo4_66 Q3 demo. Wolfenstein, with nobody else playing, averaged 30 fps on the demo, tweaked. The full version of wolfenstein on my PB g4 667 equivelant PC got 30 fps in singleplayer average.

JeffZPgh
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 18, 2002, 08:34 PM

If you're already concerned about the processor and video card now and you don't even own it yet, maybe the iBook isn't for you. Personally, I don't get all the griping about the video. But I'm not a gamer. Same goes for the processor/bus speed issue. I'm no more impressed with the performance of OS X on high-end hardware (or at least not in proportion to the price increase) compared to the iBook.

My iBook is my only machine and I have zero regrets (been using it and nothing else for 8 months). I value the portability - not because I leave the house with it all that often anymore, but because I'm not chained to my desk to use it. I love lounging around on a couch or in a different room and being able to do whatever I'd like with it. If that's not important to you, I'm not sure why you were ever considering an iBook in the first place!

Jeff

nick h
Forum Regular
Feb 18, 2002, 10:32 PM

Originally posted by x user:
<STRONG>

Tony Hawk2
4x4 Evolution

It works!

I would go with the iBook if your looking to suppliment a desktop.</STRONG>
By default, my iBook 600 is more powerful than your O/C iBook 500. Turning the settings down and you rock in games?? Uhhh.... I beg to differ.

I'd like to see you "whip" my "tushy" in 4x4Evo or RTCW on your iBook while I'm on my bud's PowerMacG4 800. I'll have all the settings turned up. You turn them down. The larger screen size alone makes the desktop all the more worth it-- even on the iMac which isn't all that great compared to the tower.

If I plan on playing games on my iBook vs. other people, I make sure they are on laptops with slow graphics cards as well.
Roam: iBook (Dual USB) ~ 600Mhz, 384MB, 15GB, DVD, 12.1", OS X

pilauh
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2002, 12:01 PM

Hi,

I own the late 2001 iBook combo and with 384 RAM on board, it runs OS X without problems... I don't really have to travel with it but it's more surfing the web on my couch on sunday's afternoons that delights me !

My next purchase to make it a perfect dream is wireless Airport (I have a very long RJ45 which travels from my desk to the couch and my girlfriend doesn't really like the look of this, so Airport we'll go... cool, don't you think...)

Games are nice on the 12" iBook : Deimos Rising, Lineage (beta for OS X) are great and if you plug the iBook on a SoundSticks system... WOW ! small screen & great sound, even watching DVDs is fun on that machine !

I am a home theater addict and own a nice system, but watching DVDs on the iBook is fun, I can tell ya... Running Anime's like Lain or CowBoy Bebop is great fun...

Run iBook 12" (the 600Mhz combo), it's the best piece of junk that time around !

late 2001 iBook (combo drive)
384MB, 20GB
OS X 10.2.4
Harman/Kardon SoundSticks

xyber233
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2002, 02:33 PM

I face this exact dilemna. I am leaning towards the iMac though seeing as it won't be outdated as quickly. Its that damn graphics card that prevents me from buying the iBook.

buffalolee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 19, 2002, 05:23 PM

If I purchase 512MB of ram for the iBook, would I notice any differences in the smoothness in OSX?

As of right now, I'm more inclined to purchase the iBook after what I have read. The portability would be fun, and it'll be my first laptop ever. I do plan to carry my laptop to libraries, friend's home, etc.

I also been looking to mod my iBook in a way to increase its cool factor. I remember a guy doing a dog in the iBook logo, I was thinking about adding colored film to create a red iBook logo. On top of that, I plan on replacing the keys with colored keyborg to add some spice to my iBook.

It's a good thing my university library have a dual G4 available for when I truly need the power. I just hate the feeling of purchasing an iBook now if they make a drastic revision in the summer. At least I can sell the iBook through eBay if I needed to fund myself for a new iBook.

Has anyone tried Final Cut Pro on their iBook?

Forum Links
Forum Rules