Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > G3 won't recognize RAM

G3 won't recognize RAM
nick h
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2002, 03:22 AM

I thought I read on this topic before here, but I couldn't find it in the search. Oh well, here is my trouble...

I know a guy who just updated RAM in his G3 PowerBook. I'm not sure whether he's got a Wallstreet or a Lombard (I think it's a Wallstreet, I know for sure it's not a Pismo). Nevertheless, he is running OS8.6 (and is updating to OS9 right now to see if this fixes the problem). Under OS8.6, his computer does not recognize his new 256MB RAM chip. The chip is good, as it used to be in my PowerBook and worked fine. His computer says he only has 160MB.

Anyone have thoughts on what's wrong? Thanks. -Nick
Roam: iBook (Dual USB) ~ 600Mhz, 384MB, 15GB, DVD, 12.1", OS X

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2002, 05:05 AM

According to AppleSpec, the Wallstreet doesn't support memory modules larger than 128 megabytes. The Lombard, however, does.

esuebrown
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2002, 11:15 AM

first, I am not a tech so the info below is just gleened from other posts ;-)

there have been alot of threads on this in other forums and although apple specs say 192, many people have added memory to the Wallstreet successfully. a question to check out: did he put the new ram into the upper slot ? the upper slot needs to be the one with the higher RAM from what I've read. if it is in the lower slot (with the upper containing smaller sized RAM, ) the upper is not recognized.

here are a few comments on the topic that I am reproducing for you which may send you in the right direction to solve this..

"Wall Streets and Lombards, though, you're correct - those models only allow low profile RAM in the bottom slot..."

"These web pages have guides on upgrading your RAM and HD and should show you how to take apart your machine: http://www.transintl.com/technotes/installrampbg3.htm http://www.transintl.com/technotes/installhdpb.htm
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WALLSTREET:OWC sells a 256mb so-dimm module that works in both the upper & lower slots for $56.95. I bought 2 a few weeks back for my Wallstreet & now I have 512 megs of ram & it works great."

"WALLSTREET: That's not true of a lot of the older machines, just because higher density memory is now available doesn't mean the chipset and ROM will support it. In the case of the Wallstreet, it can support a maximum of 1GB, even though Apple officially specifies 192MB max. based upon what was available at the time it first shipped. Overall, the best information on RAM for Macs is a program named GURU which you can find on http://www.versiontracker.com. However, GURU is occasionally wrong on specific machines so you should also check with the memory vendor to be sure they'll support their memory in your particular machine configuration."

hope this helps a little !

sue

esuebrown
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2002, 11:18 AM

OOPS! re previous post

I meant the LOWER (greater RAM) is NOT recognized if the higher/greater RAM is put in the LOWER slot. sorry !

sue

esuebrown
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2002, 11:28 AM

ok now I've really confused it, (see, I'm definitely not a tech.!) so I dont even know anymore which is which...... All I can say now is it could be the placement of the new larger RAM...... and check with someone who can explain it more clearly than I
sorry for the confusion !
;-)

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2002, 12:10 AM

Sue, thanks for your contribution! I wasn't so sure myself; I vaguely remember people saying they had more than Apple's specified maximum. Welcome to MacNN forums.

Next time you make a mistake, want to take something back, or add to your post, these forums have an "Edit Post" feature on the same line the exact time messages were posted on is on.

[ 02-21-2002: Message edited by: seanyepez ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules