Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New TiG4 supports closed lid operation?

New TiG4 supports closed lid operation?
H * � �
Oct 17, 2001, 12:52 PM

The old TiG4 could be used connected to an external kb/mouse/monitor with the lid closed.
Can the new one do this also?
Apple may have disabled this feature if the new CPUs generate too much heat with the lid closed <like my Wallstreet 233/0>.
Apple's ADC site doesn't provide any clues.

SpinCycle
Forum Regular
Oct 17, 2001, 03:36 PM

Apple has this on their web site regarding displays

- Support for a single external display: Millions of colors on a single external display at up to 1920 by 1440 pixels
But weather or not this means it can do this closed is another story. I didn't see anything about the inputs.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2001, 06:15 PM

Sorry. You still have to use a hack to keep the thing on while the lid is closed. With good reason, though, since the new CPU's probably generate more heat.

nick h
Forum Regular
Oct 18, 2001, 12:36 AM

HUH? I have Ti400 and it goes to sleep whenever I close the screen. You mean to say there is a way to disable this? Please explain, I would love to try it as it would be very useful to me in terms of desk space.
Roam: iBook (Dual USB) ~ 600Mhz, 384MB, 15GB, DVD, 12.1", OS X

<K>
Oct 18, 2001, 12:49 AM

Nono, you -really- don't want to do that. On PBs and iBooks a large percentage of the heat dissipation is up through the keyboard. Most people don't realize just how badly heat buildup can affect components, up to and including permanent damage. I've actually had my iBook go nonresponsive after an hour or so of accidental closed operation (because the iBook failed to stay asleep for some reason). A forced power cycle revived it, but some components can definitely be killed completely that way.

nick h
Forum Regular
Oct 18, 2001, 02:32 AM

To unregistered person:

Ok.... so? I KNOW that the Ti dissipates SOME heat through the keyboard. But, that still doesn't explain HOW you turn off the auto sleep when you close the screen.

Again, if someone knows how to turn this off, I would love to know.

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2001, 02:52 AM

Originally posted by nick h:
<STRONG>To unregistered person:

Ok.... so? I KNOW that the Ti dissipates SOME heat through the keyboard. But, that still doesn't explain HOW you turn off the auto sleep when you close the screen.

Again, if someone knows how to turn this off, I would love to know.</STRONG>
Wouldn't the more obvious answer be that they've probably not changed it at all? You're looking for an answer based on your own theory on a product that no one has.

scarab
Forum Regular
Oct 18, 2001, 05:30 AM

Well somehow my Pismo's sleep has been disabled when I close the lid.

H * � �  (op)
Oct 18, 2001, 03:00 PM

Apple's knowledge base article 88217 tells about how to use a pbg4 with lid closed under OS X &lt;also possible with OS 8.x/9.x&gt;.
macfixit.com also had an article about this.
Article 24613 however shows that this functionality isn't built into the pbg3 series.
Article 88199 shows that this functionality isn't built into the ibook.

H * � �  (op)
Oct 18, 2001, 03:04 PM

Apple's knowledge base article 88217 tells about how to use a pbg3/4 with lid closed under OS X &lt;also possible with OS 8.x/9.x&gt;.
Article 88064 is another one.
Article 24613 however shows that this functionality isn't built into the &lt;non firewire&gt; pbg3 series.
Article 88199 shows that this functionality isn't built into the ibook.

[ 10-18-2001: Message edited by: H * � � ]

nick h
Forum Regular
Oct 18, 2001, 04:05 PM

Thnaks, H * � �... I'll check it out.

-Nick

mike one
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 18, 2001, 04:33 PM

this FAQ says that you can operate the tibook with the lib closed.
http://a224.g.akamai.net/7/224/51/25..._FAQ-a1001.pdf

it's a pdf found on this page http://www.apple.com/powerbook/specs.html

it clearly states "yes" to the question: can i operate my tibook with the lid closed when attached to an external display?

'nuff said.

SpinCycle
Forum Regular
Oct 18, 2001, 04:58 PM

The part about keeping the lid open because of heat issues may not be as detrimental as it was before because of the new vent in the back of the PB. It is in the center of all the ports on the back panel.

H * � �  (op)
Oct 18, 2001, 05:52 PM

Thanks mike one, that FAQ wasn't initially available when the new TiG4 was released &lt;broken link/not updated yet&gt;.

H * � �  (op)
Oct 18, 2001, 05:56 PM

Thanks mike one, that FAQ wasn't initially available when the new TiG4 was released &lt;broken link/not updated yet&gt;.

ToasterQuanta
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2001, 07:01 PM

Originally posted by SpinCycle:
<STRONG>The part about keeping the lid open because of heat issues may not be as detrimental as it was before because of the new vent in the back of the PB. It is in the center of all the ports on the back panel.</STRONG>
Hmmm.... I've heard this "new vent" mentioned several times, but I'm pretty sure that this vent was there in the first generation PBG4.

Lets look at some pictures, eh?

These are pics from Macworld's PB G4 diary, published in February.

Here's the gen 1 PBG4 with its port door open:

Here is the gen 1 machine with the port door closed:

Here's the picture from the specs page for the gen 2 PBG4:

The vent is there on both machines!

So, it looks like the cooling is the same with the new machines. I, for one, am hoping they coat the outer lid with non-stick teflon, so that I can fry up a nice hearty breakfast on the top of my 667 while using it with an external monitor and the lid closed.

~TQ

<agge>
Oct 19, 2001, 04:22 AM

Originally posted by ToasterQuanta:
<STRONG>

Hmmm.... I've heard this "new vent" mentioned several times, but I'm pretty sure that this vent was there in the first generation PBG4.

&lt;snip&gt;

The vent is there on both machines!

</STRONG>
Yes - I have a vent on my TiBook 400 mHz. The difference, however, is that the new TiPBs also has vent holes at the place where you grab in order to open the back door - so that the air is able to stream right through and not upwards like on the old TiBooks.

- Chr

ToasterQuanta
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2001, 07:43 AM

Originally posted by &lt;agge&gt;:
<STRONG>
Yes - I have a vent on my TiBook 400 mHz. The difference, however, is that the new TiPBs also has vent holes at the place where you grab in order to open the back door - so that the air is able to stream right through and not upwards like on the old TiBooks.
</STRONG>
Interesting. Anyone have a pic?

I would expect that this wouldn't change cooling with the lid closed, though. The port cover door would have to be open for access to the USB/VGA ports!

Good to know it is there for when the machine is on my lap with the door closed, though.

~TQ

Xool
Oct 19, 2001, 07:35 PM

I don't know if it was posted earlier (I didn't read through all the TechNotes), but Lid Closed operation is supported under OS X 10.1.

10.0.x would cause a kernal panic unless you used both displays.

Forum Links
Forum Rules