Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Student Developer Discount?

Student Developer Discount?
amphibious
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 4, 2001, 01:08 PM

I've heard you can get a hefty discount by becoming a student developer... I went to go sign up and it costs $100 for a year. While I love my Apple computers and I enjoy writing software for them, I don't really want to pay this unless the discount from a Ti Powerbook is pretty large.

Does anyone know how much of a discount I can expect?

zorn
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 4, 2001, 01:13 PM

yo yo yo

I'm a student dev. Unfortuantly there is no hardware disount for us (other than gen edu discounts). I even called apple cause in a recent letter (maybe dec/jan?) they talk alot about discounts. While not hardware you can get Mac OS X Server or Webobjects for 99$.

However if you are a least inerested in development it is worth the 100 .. lots of documentation, seeds of software (got X a few weeks early) and more. Might even get into the keynote this MWNY (fingers crossed).

Mike

PS Ti rocks, first apple product I bought since Apple IIe (what an upgrade)
~ Mike
--
Personal Site: MikeZornek.com
Other Interests: WebDevWiki.com

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 4, 2001, 02:58 PM

Hmm, I saw a discussion in another forum where someone said he was a student developer and got a discount on a Tibook. I'm not sure if it is worth the trouble, but the discount seemed to be relatively good (can't recall exactly how much, but maybe 20% off).

amphibious  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 4, 2001, 07:34 PM

Originally posted by Icruise:
<STRONG>Hmm, I saw a discussion in another forum where someone said he was a student developer and got a discount on a Tibook. I'm not sure if it is worth the trouble, but the discount seemed to be relatively good (can't recall exactly how much, but maybe 20% off).</STRONG>
Yeah, I read it on a the Digital Hell music mailing list yesterday. That's what got me interested.

King Chung Huang
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 4, 2001, 07:49 PM

ADC Student Developers do get a "once per lifetime" discount. So, you get the same discounts as ADC Premier members, but only on one product, and only once for your entire life. Although the discounts vary from product to product, it is typically 20% off.

In the past the qualification requirements of the discount required that you be specifically registered in a post-secondary Computer Science course to qualify. However, that has now been relaxed, and most general ADC Student members can get the discount.

Amphibious: You can't just arbitrarily sign up for an ADC Student account. You need to be registered in a post-secondary educational institution and be able to prove that. If you are, then by all means, join up!

Zorn: If you really are an ADC Student developer, I suggest you join the mailing list and fill yourself in on the discount, since you seem to be misinformed about it.

amphibious  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 4, 2001, 08:10 PM

Originally posted by King Chung Huang:
<STRONG>Amphibious: You can't just arbitrarily sign up for an ADC Student account. You need to be registered in a post-secondary educational institution and be able to prove that. If you are, then by all means, join up!
</STRONG>
Post secondary educational institute... hmm... exactly what does that mean? I'm a Junior at a University... good enough?

Anyway... if I can get that discount, that's like $2000 with a free CD-RW. How could I possibly pass that up? Is this a sure thing, I don't want to drop $100 and not get the benefits.

Thanks!

King Chung Huang
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 4, 2001, 09:10 PM

Post-secondary, or "higher ed." as its often called on Apple's website, just means anything past high school (which is called "secondary-school").

And, yes, the discount is real, but you only get it once.

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2001, 01:46 AM

Apple's page on this subject...

Xool
Jul 5, 2001, 02:46 PM

The ADC Student Hardware Purchase Program will allow you to purchase a PowerBook or other hardware. I did just that when the Tis first came out. Since then the rules have changed slightly...

Still one discounted purchase. (Until you upgrade to Premier, or whatever)
20% discount, this varies by machine.
BTO or order from the Developer price list.

I did BTO and just faxed my configuration and Payment info to the Apple Developer Purchase Program guys (in TX I think). They entered my order and soon it all showed up on the AppleStore (online). I got a $3800 PB for $3000 (both prices after tax).

Forum Links
Forum Rules