Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Burning the midnight oil...So I decided to treat myself.

Burning the midnight oil...So I decided to treat myself.
bfurtado
Oct 20, 2003, 03:52 AM

I'm just putting the finishing touches on an essay about D.W. Griffith's Birth of a Nation and I decided I needed a break. Anywhoo, I went ahead and bought a 512MB ram module for my stock 256MB 12" REVB PB.
What do you think of this:
Memory-X
(Anyone ever use this? Is the Quality OK?)

I would have gone for 1-800-4-Memory but they are not very Canada friendly. Sure the generic ram was $90 but add $26US shipping and then $7.50 NON US Processing Fee, and I was nearing Canadian pricing. Memory X came out to $104.

Brian

doubtingtom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2003, 04:12 AM

One caveat before you read this, is that I think my case is in the rare category, but...

I had trouble with 2100 memory. I bought it in Japan and it is labeled KingsMax or Kingsmemory something or other. Anyway, the first chip I got was totally bad, but that may have been from a "user install" error, I can't be sure. The second chip (2100) I got worked pretty good, but it seemed to crash Quicktime during streams (watching the Apple Music event) and iTunes crashed once (in a three day period, and I have never had it crash). I took the RAM out and Quicktime and iTunes worked fine. So I brought it back on got a 333 mhz 2700.

The manual that comes with the Powerbook 12 rev B. states you should only use 2700, 266mhz ram. So, I met one spec by upgrading to 2700 from 2100 but I was overshooting the speed by having 333 mhz. Anyway, I have had this new, 2700 chip in ever since and my machine has been rock solid (like my old Powerbook was) for 2 days now. My fingers are still crossed, but I had to give a shout out to the 2700. It is Apple's spec, and has been good to me.

Like I said, there are too many variables in my case to isolate the solution to 2700 RAM.
12 Powerbook rev. B
17 LCD

bfurtado  (op)
Oct 20, 2003, 06:09 PM

I find it odd that Apple would recommend PC2700 RAM when the stock RAM is PC2100. Doesn't that mean that any RAM I purchase would automatically be slowed down to PC2100 because the stock RAM acts as bottleneck?
In fact, I see more PC2100 RAM options for the 12" PB than I see PC2700.

Brian

Phat Bastard
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2003, 10:17 PM

I've been using a Kingmax 512 MB PC2100 stick for a couple of months now and I've had no problems. I think you ran into some bad luck.

Originally posted by doubtingtom:
One caveat before you read this, is that I think my case is in the rare category, but...

I had trouble with 2100 memory. I bought it in Japan and it is labeled KingsMax or Kingsmemory something or other. Anyway, the first chip I got was totally bad, but that may have been from a "user install" error, I can't be sure. The second chip (2100) I got worked pretty good, but it seemed to crash Quicktime during streams (watching the Apple Music event) and iTunes crashed once (in a three day period, and I have never had it crash). I took the RAM out and Quicktime and iTunes worked fine. So I brought it back on got a 333 mhz 2700.

The manual that comes with the Powerbook 12 rev B. states you should only use 2700, 266mhz ram. So, I met one spec by upgrading to 2700 from 2100 but I was overshooting the speed by having 333 mhz. Anyway, I have had this new, 2700 chip in ever since and my machine has been rock solid (like my old Powerbook was) for 2 days now. My fingers are still crossed, but I had to give a shout out to the 2700. It is Apple's spec, and has been good to me.

Like I said, there are too many variables in my case to isolate the solution to 2700 RAM.
The world needs more Canada.
PB 12" 867 MHz, 640 MB RAM, AE, OS 10.4.2
Black iPod nano 4GB

schk
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 20, 2003, 10:23 PM

There's no point in buying PC2700 since it will only run at the speed the 12" PB is rated to handle, 266Mhz aka PC2100.

bigben1024
Oct 21, 2003, 12:20 AM

Isn't D.W. Griffith's Birth of a Nation that B&W racist movie with only white actors?
It is almost funny to watch how pitiful the actors look with the shoe polish on, almost.
<fancy signature here>

bfurtado  (op)
Oct 21, 2003, 12:53 AM

Originally posted by bigben1024:
Isn't D.W. Griffith's Birth of a Nation that B&W racist movie with only white actors?
It is almost funny to watch how pitiful the actors look with the shoe polish on, almost.
Yes. Very racist and sad in that respect. We studied it in my Pre War Cinema class. It does make you laugh though because the portrayal of African Americans is SOOOO skewed and racist, you can't believe there was a time in American history where this was accepted as 'truth'. We also watched Melies' Trip to the Moon and next is Charlie Chaplin's Goldrush. Overall an interesting course.

Brian

Forum Links
Forum Rules