Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Panther preloaded on powerbooks yet?

Panther preloaded on powerbooks yet?
alfric
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2003, 09:04 AM

Has anyone just recieved a powerbook? Did it come with Panther (Mac OSX 10.3)? Preinstalled?

Let us know - my purchasing decision depends on it...
BTW, I'm especially interested in hearing reports from Europe...

halki
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2003, 09:12 AM

I ordered on the 8th of October and still have not even got a shipping date in the UK. I have'nt been able to find out if it ships with panter preinstalled.

bfurtado
Oct 28, 2003, 09:28 AM

A friend of mine just ordered the 15" Superdrive yesterday, in Canada. It may take 3-4 weeks they said and the rep also said there was a good chance Panther would be shipped with the Notebook. Gather from that what you will. I'm not sure what the definite date would be as they refuse to say.

Brian

striker100
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2003, 09:38 AM

I purchased the 17" Powerbook at an Apple Retail Store on Saturday, the day after Panther was released.
Inside the box was a full Panther disc set, but Jaguar was actually preloaded on the Powerbook.
I did a clean install of Panther on first bootup.

Dave Hagan
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 2003, 10:41 AM

Here's a question: Was the Panther disc and upgrade or the full version?
Dave Hagan | Apple Certified Technical Coordinator | iMac G5 1.9GHz | PowerBook G4 1.5GHz | Power Mac G4 933 MHz

swiz
GUI Punk
Oct 28, 2003, 11:25 AM

Originally posted by striker100:
I purchased the 17" Powerbook at an Apple Retail Store on Saturday, the day after Panther was released.
Inside the box was a full Panther disc set, but Jaguar was actually preloaded on the Powerbook.
I did a clean install of Panther on first bootup.
I got the 15" Gigabook the same day and it also came with Panther discs but Jag installed. Clean Installed also.

David- They were full Panther discs installs not upgrades although they say upgrade on them . There are three install discs but I was never prompted for the third disc.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

workerbee
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2003, 12:22 PM

Heh... another Swiss here, wondering about 10.3 with new Powerbooks. The local dealer says no, it isn't included, and won't be for a few weeks. One can, of course, order the CDs from Apple, for their nominal "shipping fee" of US$ 20 (at this price, I wonder if they use Steve's jet for delivery).

I've been listening to Apple muzak for 20 minutes now, trying to find out what the mothership says.

Edit: Apple says they cannot guarantee it, and that the shipping fee is 29 Euros (that's about US$ 35) ... that must be Steve's jet.
( Last edited by workerbee; Oct 28, 2003 at 12:35 PM. )
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

maconvert
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2003, 02:12 PM

Hey everyone... I ordered my Powerbook on October 22nd, and I just received it today. The Apple rep that I called before ordering told me they did not yet have a date for Panther preinstallation on the computers, but mine came with Panther preinstalled!

Ive been with it for only half a day, but already im very very happy i decided to switch

alfric  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2003, 02:52 PM

Hi Workerbee - the shipping fee in Switzerland should be 30.- CHF - that's what a friend of mine paid. He just got a new iMac and ordered the Panther 'Upgrade'. Hasn't received it yet, though... not too Satisfied with the Swiss AppleStore - I send them some simple questions by e-mail, such as 'is the MS office bundle valid till the 1.11 or 1.12 as their website offers conflicting information' - all they did was refer me to their phone line. My iMac friend who called them for Panther said he got some operator in Ireland who's German was terrible and had no idea about anything... don't think I'll bother to call... I think I'm more likely to get better infos here on MacNN

Originally posted by workerbee:
Heh... another Swiss here, wondering about 10.3 with new Powerbooks. The local dealer says no, it isn't included, and won't be for a few weeks. One can, of course, order the CDs from Apple, for their nominal "shipping fee" of US$ 20 (at this price, I wonder if they use Steve's jet for delivery).

I've been listening to Apple muzak for 20 minutes now, trying to find out what the mothership says.

Edit: Apple says they cannot guarantee it, and that the shipping fee is 29 Euros (that's about US$ 35) ... that must be Steve's jet.

deviousgelatin
Oct 28, 2003, 04:08 PM

Just received my 15" PB from MacMall yesterday. Came loaded with 10.2.7, and Panther was nowhere to be seen.

Did send in for my "Up To Date" copy though, so I should have that any day now.

Macbear
Oct 28, 2003, 09:27 PM

Just received my new 12" Powerbook today. (October 28).

Panther WAS preinstalled, and the backup DVD clearly states Mac OS 10.3.

Very pleasant surprise!
Macbear
Creative Writer - Bon Vivant

workerbee
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2003, 03:51 AM

Originally posted by alfric:
Hasn't received it yet, though... not too Satisfied with the Swiss AppleStore (snip)
Well, I wouldn't bother buying from the Apple Store anyway, unless I had very specific reasons to do so (10 days no questions asked money back warranty).

The 17" PowerBook with 1 GB RAM costs CHF 5,259.00 at the Apple Store, Heiniger sells the same for CHF 4598.00... can you say free iPod (or Applecare)?
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

Forum Links
Forum Rules