Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Preventing mouse from waking up PB

Preventing mouse from waking up PB
bfurtado
Mar 17, 2004, 02:28 AM

Is there anyway to prevent OS X from waking on mouse movement?

Everytime I leave my 12"PB, I have to unplug the receiver because the slightest move of the mouse will wake it up. I know its not THAT big a deal, its just that if I'm running off battery, it will drain and I am still not that comfortable with closed lid operation. It has only happened a couple of times but its really sensitve. A slight bump of the desk, etc will set it off.

Brian

Tomster
Senior User
Mar 17, 2004, 03:07 AM

One suggestion: get an optical mouse. When the Powerbook is asleep, there is no power to the LED, hence one can move it all day long without waking. The mouse buttons are still live and will wake the computer upon clicking though.
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

bfurtado  (op)
Mar 17, 2004, 03:54 AM

It is an optical mouse. That's what baffles me. A cool breeze from the air register will set this thing off

Thanks for the help though

Brian

hayesk
Mar 17, 2004, 11:49 AM

Originally posted by Tomster:
One suggestion: get an optical mouse. When the Powerbook is asleep, there is no power to the LED, hence one can move it all day long without waking. The mouse buttons are still live and will wake the computer upon clicking though.
Nope, it still wakes up the computer. It must have enough stored, or it still gets some from the computer.

ibook_steve
Mar 17, 2004, 03:02 PM

You should not be afraid of closed lid operation. The machines are designed and built for it. It wouldn't be in the user's manual if it wasn't. Why don't you just close the lid to put it to sleep and open it back up to wake it? If you must keep the lid open, why don't you set a shorter time for putting it to sleep? Finally, if you've got it on a desk and you're keeping the lid open and you're worried about your battery draining, why aren't you hooked up to AC to prevent such a thing? I guess I don't understand what exactly you're trying to accomplish.

Steve

Forum Links
Forum Rules