Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > About To Purchase 20" iMac RAM Question

About To Purchase 20" iMac RAM Question
PJ G4
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2004, 10:30 AM

I am about to purchase the 20" iMac Should I order the computer with the 256 RAM module and order two 1GB modules from Crucial and throw out the 256 or order the 512 module at $75 and the 1GB from Crucial. I am trying to get the best deal for the money.
I will be using the computer for Photoshop. Thanks

PEHowland
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2004, 11:27 AM

Originally posted by PJ G4:
I am about to purchase the 20" iMac Should I order the computer with the 256 RAM module and order two 1GB modules from Crucial and throw out the 256 or order the 512 module at $75 and the 1GB from Crucial. I am trying to get the best deal for the money.
I will be using the computer for Photoshop. Thanks
Well, a 16-bit 6 MPixel image takes 96MB. Let's say you have 5 layers open, that's 512MB (roughly). In practice, you'll more likely be working in 8-bit mode, so 5 layers of a 6 MPixel image is 256MB. And you'll probably only be using 2 or 3 layers at a time anyway. So, the first message is that Photoshop will roughly need about 512MB in the most stressing situations, plus another 512MB for the OS and you're laughing.

So, in your first option you get 2GB (2 x 1GB) and in the second you get (1.5GB 512MB stock, plus 1GB from Crucial). Either will probably be more than enough for your needs. Indeed, 1GB would probably be enough unless you plan to be using many layers and images much bigger than 6MPixel. So, you could consider using the stock 512MB and getting 512MB from Crucial.

The advantage of getting two DIMM's the same size is that the computer can work in dual-channel mode. This will give a slight improvement in memory performance - 10-15% say, which will result in slightly better performance in Photoshop.

So, if I were you, I'd be choosing between the stock 512MB of memory plus 512MB of Crucial, or two sticks of Crucial 1GB. Personallly, I don't think you'll see the difference between 1GB and 2GB memory, so would go for 512MB + 512MB.
Paul

Wassenaar, The Netherlands.

Home: iMac G5 1.8GHz
Work: Powermac Quad and MacbookPro 17" C2D

bfurtado
Sep 19, 2004, 11:53 AM

I'd just order it with the stock 256, take it out and order 2 512MB sticks from Crucial. I don't know how picky dual channel gets but having two identical pieces of RAM (same make, model, etc) couldn't hurt. Plus, it would be cheaper versus the Apple upgrade.

Brian

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2004, 11:23 PM

Originally posted by bfurtado:
I'd just order it with the stock 256, take it out and order 2 512MB sticks from Crucial. I don't know how picky dual channel gets but having two identical pieces of RAM (same make, model, etc) couldn't hurt. Plus, it would be cheaper versus the Apple upgrade.

Brian
much cheaper

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

PEHowland
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2004, 01:14 AM

Originally posted by Lancer409:
much cheaper
It depends...

The cheapest option is actually to pay for the Apple upgrade to 512MB, which costs an extra $75 and then buy a second Crucial stick of 512MB for $99.99. Buying the Apple 256MB option, then throwing that memory away to buy two sticks of Crucial 512MB would cost $25 more.

However, if you're going for two sticks of 1GB, then it's a totally different story. One DIMM of 1GB built-to-order costs an extra $525 from Apple, whereas it costs only $260 from Crucial! Far better in that case to get two sticks from Crucial and ditch the 256MB.
Paul

Wassenaar, The Netherlands.

Home: iMac G5 1.8GHz
Work: Powermac Quad and MacbookPro 17" C2D

Forum Links
Forum Rules