Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > External Hard Disk

External Hard Disk
bfurtado
Oct 21, 2004, 05:29 PM

I bought a 200GB Maxtor Hard Drive (8MB Cache, 7200 RPM). I also bought a Bytecc 740 external USB 2.0 enclosure. As soon as I put the drive in, OS X recognizes and I get a pop up window. If forget what it said and it doesn't come up anymore. I clicked the 'initialize' button and launched disk utility to create a partition, format, etc. It won't do it though. It starts for a few then the progress bar completes, but none of my volumes are named what I told it to and I can't mount them. When I verify disk I get this error.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit (-9972)

Any ideas? I have never installed and formatted an external drive in OSX before. I used to be a Windows user.

Brian

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2004, 10:06 PM

Double check your jumper setting on the drive itself. When I did my first external, I had the jumper in the wrong place. Run a search - not sure if it's got to me master or slave.

bfurtado  (op)
Oct 22, 2004, 02:08 AM

Thanks! I did check and it was set to master. Maybe the cable wasn't plugged in well (inside the enclosure). I took the drive out and put it in my old tried and true enclosure. Found it instantly and I formatted, partitioned, etc. Then I put the drive back on the Bytecc and it worked great. I'm moving files over as I type.

Thanks for all the help!

Brian

chrisauman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2005, 05:13 PM

Can you tell me how to do this? I appear to be having the same problem. Thanx.

Forum Links
Forum Rules