Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > What is a reasonable temperature range

What is a reasonable temperature range
cmeisenzahl
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 26, 2006, 12:54 PM

for a 12" G4 iBook to operate within, or under? My 13 month old iBook never gets warm, but last night I heard the fan come on for an extended period of time. I have a widget that displays the temp and I think it said 140 degrees F. I had 2 Firefox windows open with 6-7 tabs, two of them with Flash animation. But the CPU was 90% free and I have 1.2GM RAM.

What are normal temps for this laptop?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2006, 04:01 PM

My iBook got up to 60 degrees C today, which translates to just under 150F. My fan came on when it hit around 58C, and stayed on for about 15 mins. The reason mine got so hot was because it was almost buried in bed covers, so it was getting no ventillation. I think these temps are fine though - if the fan just comes on at 58C, it must be fine for the book to run that hot, or esle the fan would come on much sooner.
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

cmeisenzahl  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 26, 2006, 07:01 PM

Thanks!

dreamryche
Forum Regular
Mar 26, 2006, 10:55 PM

IIRC, my iBook got up close to 70° the other day while I was encoding video. It may have been 60°, I'm kinda shaky on that. It normally runs in the mid-40s...it's at 45° right now under about 10% CPU load.

cmeisenzahl  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 28, 2006, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by dreamryche
IIRC, my iBook got up close to 70° the other day while I was encoding video. It may have been 60°, I'm kinda shaky on that. It normally runs in the mid-40s...it's at 45° right now under about 10% CPU load.
Thanks much! ;-)

Forum Links
Forum Rules