Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Yet-another-what-to-buy-thread... (MB vs. MBP)

Yet-another-what-to-buy-thread... (MB vs. MBP)
Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 1, 2006, 03:07 AM

Aye, my aging Rev. B iBook G4 has gone to the great Infinite Loop in the sky. Alas, I look for a replacement.

I'm down to three options. Before I present them, though, I should mention I've never played a game on any notebook, and don't do much 3D work (some Blender/Wings 3D). Most of what I do is Photoshop/InDesign work, which from what I hear is fairly good on the GMA950. I hate glossy screens, but the latchless design and more durable polycarbonate, along with smaller form factor, are very nice. OTOH, a backlit keyboard and dedicated graphics are also a nice thing to have.

Anyway, those options:

1. A maxed out Macbook (2 GB ram, 120GB Harddrive.)
2. MacBook Pro, 2.16 Ghz, most likely upgraded to above specs when I get more money.
3. The waiting game (Merom).

I do have a Sawtooth at home, but, obviously, it's about on par with the now dead iBook.

So, any opinions would be much appreciated, as I can't seem to decide myself at this point.

wilsonng
Senior User
Jun 1, 2006, 03:29 AM

One option I recommend is to get the lowest end MacBook at $1099 and buy 2 GBs of RAM somewhere else besides Apple.

Then I would get an iMac 17" for about $1299 for the times when GPU intensive programs are required (like Blender/Wings 3D).

This one-two punch will cost about or around the same price as an MBP 15".

Use the MacBook when portability is needed and then use the iMac for heavy duty workhorse stuff.

But lemme ask you if portability is a "lust" thing or a "necessity" thing? If you "really need" the portability then get the iMac + MacBook. Otherwise, you'll get more bang for the buck going with a dekstop computer.

I like the MacBook + iMac idea 'cuz they both have Airport Extreme and it's really easy to share files, printers, and networks with the wireless connection.

I have a G4 Mac Mini that acts as a network server. So I have my 2 laptops printing to the Epson USB printer that is connected to the Mac Mini. I certainly don't miss the days of wired networks anymore!

Yeah, I'd love an all-in-one package but you'll get 2 computers with the iMac + MacBook deal. If one goes down and needs to get repaired, you'll have the other one to work on!
You can bend my ear. We can talk all day. Just make sure I'm around
When you've finally got something to say. -- TOAD THE WET SPROCKET

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 1, 2006, 04:13 AM

I'd take your option 1.

If you're on a budget, you might consider getting only 512 MB RAM from Apple and buying 2x1GB at a cheaper place. The only advantage of getting Apple's overpriced 2 GB RAM option is that it's covered by your warranty and AppleCare (if you get it).

sieb
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 1, 2006, 06:01 AM

If you get your ram from some place like NewEgg, it will have a lifetime warranty, this makes Apple's support mute... moot..
( Last edited by sieb; Jun 1, 2006 at 11:41 AM. )
Sieb
Blackbook
(2Ghz, 2GB, 100Gig, week 21)

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2006, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by sieb
If you get your ram from some place like NewEgg, it will have a lifetime warranty, this makes Apple's support moot.
Fixed.

cmoney
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 1, 2006, 09:49 AM

Though it would be cool if it rendered Apple's support MUTE!

I hesitated about getting the MacBook because of the integrated graphics. Who knows if the next version of Mac OS X will fully support it, or if Quartz Extreme, Core Image, whatever will just lose some of the features. I think with the increasing dependence on video card features built right into the OS nowadays, this will probably end up being the most limiting factor of the MacBook as far as longevity.

But I figured the next version of OS X won't even be out until January or so, so that's a good 7 months usage of this unit until I have to potentially upgrade again.

On the other hand, it seems you keep your machines a long time. And for that alone, I'd probably get the MacBook Pro. And definitely DON'T get memory from Apple. I just ordered 2 GB of Ram for my Macbook for $70 more than what Apple charges for 1GB.

Brien  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 1, 2006, 02:19 PM

I should have noted in my original post, but yeah, no matter what choice, I'll more than likely buy my RAM/HD elsewhere.

I'm not a big fan of the iMac, either, as I plan on getting a Pro Mac, or whatever it's called, mid '07.

snoopy199
Forum Regular
Jun 1, 2006, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Brien
Most of what I do is Photoshop/InDesign work, which from what I hear is fairly good on the GMA950. I hate glossy screens, but the latchless design and more durable polycarbonate, along with smaller form factor, are very nice. OTOH, a backlit keyboard and dedicated graphics are also a nice thing to have.
I never had any use for the backlit keyboard on the powerbook.
nevertheless you are certainly in a quandry. If your current setup, while getting long in the tooth, is still servicing your needs waiting may be your best bet. If you cannot wait (as I couldn't or rather wouldn't) I'd go with option #1 which I personally did.

The form factor, the durable case, the magnetc closure mechinism all of which is what I wanted in a laptop. I thought I'd hate the glossy screen and that was a deal break for me, but after seeing the MB first hand I found most of the complaints to be baseless and I've had the MB now for a week.

You need to make that decision for yourself. If you cannot use or want to use the glossy screen then its a moot point as to which model to pick.

Finally back to the waiting option - I'm wondering of we'll see any updates to the MBP (or even MB) come August at the WWDC, it may not hurt to wait it out and see.

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 1, 2006, 04:00 PM

Go check out a MacBook firsthand and see if you can tolerate the screen. It's much better than the glossy screens on PC laptops, with less reflection and a much much better finish (all the PC ones I've seen have given off uneven, wavy reflections).

If you can deal with the screen, go for the MacBook. The lack of a true graphics card won't affect the Adobe apps you use, while the extra RAM and hard drive space you'll be able to afford will have a huge impact.

houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 2, 2006, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Brien
Aye, my aging Rev. B iBook G4 has gone to the great Infinite Loop in the sky. Alas, I look for a replacement.

I'm down to three options. Before I present them, though, I should mention I've never played a game on any notebook, and don't do much 3D work (some Blender/Wings 3D). Most of what I do is Photoshop/InDesign work, which from what I hear is fairly good on the GMA950. I hate glossy screens, but the latchless design and more durable polycarbonate, along with smaller form factor, are very nice. OTOH, a backlit keyboard and dedicated graphics are also a nice thing to have.

Anyway, those options:

1. A maxed out Macbook (2 GB ram, 120GB Harddrive.)
2. MacBook Pro, 2.16 Ghz, most likely upgraded to above specs when I get more money.
3. The waiting game (Merom).

I do have a Sawtooth at home, but, obviously, it's about on par with the now dead iBook.

So, any opinions would be much appreciated, as I can't seem to decide myself at this point.
'
i'm kinda in your same boat. i have a g4 powerbook (1.33ghz) but it has a dead lower memory slot and firewire seems to be fading (neither slot works, have to use an adapter through the pc card slot for firewire). i could get it fixed, but with intel chips, now (or post merom) seems to be a good place to start for me on a macbook.

have a 17" mbp (maxxed out in every way) at work so kinda spoiled, but i don't have $2900 to drop on a machine like that. my price range is about $1500 (including a warranty this time) and with my educational discount looks like i could get a blackbook w/ warranty for about $1700.

would i be happy moving from powerbook/mbp land to a machine i would use at home/road such as a macbook?

Forum Links
Forum Rules