Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Finally, an software to cool your Macbook down!

Finally, an software to cool your Macbook down!
doniel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2006, 11:41 AM

For those of you who are really concerned about the heat of the macbooks are giving out, here is a very effective solution that's been discussing on Apple's official macbook forum. It actually originated from an post in the official MBP forum:

Apple - Support - Discussions - My macbook idles at 30c. Here's how ...

I personally think this is just something a lot of us have been waiting for! ! After using it, my Macbook barely even gets warm! What a great difference! I figured we should spread the news.

Cheers!
( Last edited by doniel; Oct 13, 2006 at 03:50 PM. )

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2006, 03:15 PM

There must be some downsides.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

richwig83
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2006, 03:36 PM

As far as i can see, no downsides! All it does it allows you to change the minimum rpm of the fan from 1500rpm to what ever you want up to 6200rpm. Obviously if you crank it up it gets pretty noisy!

doniel  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2006, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by richardwigley
As far as i can see, no downsides! All it does it allows you to change the minimum rpm of the fan from 1500rpm to what ever you want up to 6200rpm. Obviously if you crank it up it gets pretty noisy!
I found that as long as the fan speed is lower than 3500rpm, the fan is almost inaudible. I set mine to be 2500rpm and found its sufficient already. Also, Other people have reported that increasing the minimum fan speed to 3000rpm did not change the battery life.

gametime10
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 13, 2006, 03:52 PM

I cranked it up to 3000rpm and haven't really noticed a difference in temperature...

doniel  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2006, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by gametime10
I cranked it up to 3000rpm and haven't really noticed a difference in temperature...
hehe. Your Macbook must have been cool enough already. What was the average temp before?

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2006, 04:18 PM

OK, so for example, I put my fans on at 3000 RPM. What happens when I am doing heavy work which requires the fans to be on more than 3000 RPM? Do I have to remember to manually set the fans higher or else get a broken machine, or will the machine automatically increase fan speed..
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Macola
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2006, 04:37 PM

It's supposed to change only the minimum setting. The max will be whatever is required according to the load on the CPU, so it shouldn't be affected.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

doniel  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2006, 04:51 PM

Sorry for posting this twice. I accidentally refreshed the "submit" page.

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
OK, so for example, I put my fans on at 3000 RPM. What happens when I am doing heavy work which requires the fans to be on more than 3000 RPM? Do I have to remember to manually set the fans higher or else get a broken machine, or will the machine automatically increase fan speed..
No. You don't have to. What you are changing with this program is ONLY the MINIMUM fan speed, namely, the baseline of your fan behavior curve, not the curve itself. And to play on the safe side, the smallest value you can set to is already the default value set by Apple so you won't get any chance to screw your macbook up by lowering the fan speed.

The problem with macbook and macbook pro is that the default minimum fan speed, 1500rpm, is too low for them (or you can say the threshold temp of cranking the fan speed up is set too low), which consequently causes the high average CPU temp many users have been complaining about.
It's either that Apple was overconfident about their heat dissipation design or that they worried too much about the possible fan noise at a higher speed. As i said in a post above, any value slower than 3500rpm is almost still inaudible.
( Last edited by doniel; Oct 13, 2006 at 05:05 PM. )

doniel  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2006, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
No. You don't have to. What you are changing with this program is ONLY the MINIMUM fan speed, namely, the baseline of your fan behavior curve, not the curve itself. And to play on the safe side, the smallest value you can set to is already the default value set by Apple so you won't get any chance to screw your macbook up by lowering the fan speed.

The problem with macbook and macbook pro is that the default minimum fan speed, 1500rpm, is too low for them (or you can say the threshold temp of cranking the fan speed up is set too low), which consequently causes the high average CPU temp many users have been complaining about.
It's either that Apple was overconfident about their heat dissipation design or that they worried too much about the possible fan noise at a higher speed. As i said in a post above, any value slower than 3500rpm is almost still inaudible.

gametime10
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 13, 2006, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by doniel
hehe. Your Macbook must have been cool enough already. What was the average temp before?
Around 50 C

doniel  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2006, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by gametime10
Around 50 C
Nice. Mine was around 60C before using this thing. and now it's in the mid 40's.

Forum Links
Forum Rules