Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes 7.0.1 crashes all the time

iTunes 7.0.1 crashes all the time
maxintosh
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2006, 02:30 AM

Recently, my iTunes 7.0.1 began crashing frequently within the first few seconds of playing a song. Anyone see similar behavior? I trashed the preferences, rebooted, etc., and it still crashes often when playing a new song.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2006, 08:16 AM

First, I would reinstall iTunes and Quicktime. If the problem remains, I'd download and run the 10.4.8 combo updater. If it still fails, I'd perform an archive and install of OS X because something in your system is probably hosed.

Chris

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2006, 08:45 AM

Agree with chabig, but when you say "a new song" does iTunes crash on any existing songs? Or is it only crashing on specific songs? Could be a corrupt mpeg file.

maxintosh  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2006, 05:55 PM

It just crashes often when switching songs, regardless of format or newness. I'll try the combo updater and reinstalling iTunes, but over at Apple people on the discussion boards seem to be having the same issue. The more I use iTunes 7, the less I like it. (What did they do with the EQ button!?)

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2006, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by maxintosh
What did they do with the EQ button!?
It's not a button any more. check under the View menu.

Chris

maxintosh  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2006, 09:57 PM

Yes I am aware, but it's very inconvenient and it doesn't even have a keyboard shortcut.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2006, 11:36 PM

True, but how often do you adjust the equalizer? I think that's the reason Apple decided it didn't need a shortcut.

Chris

pcd2k
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 10, 2006, 09:23 PM

This maybe appropriate
Best advice anyone gave me for Apple Software updates-

before one runs any and all Software updates
Always "Repair Disk Permissions" (ar la Disk Utility)

If that fails I run "Cache Out X" but only select appropriate elements

R0CK3TM4NN
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2006, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by chabig
First, I would reinstall iTunes and Quicktime. If the problem remains, I'd download and run the 10.4.8 combo updater. If it still fails, I'd perform an archive and install of OS X because something in your system is probably hosed.

Chris
I'm getting this same problem - itunes and QT crashing often after getting the 7.0.1 update. I can't remember if it started happening after I upgraded to 10.4.8 or before. I'm embarrassed to say, but is there a specific way to delete itunes and QT and reinstall it again? Clearly I'm a mac newb, and this is the first time I've encountered an unstable program. Thanks!

Uisce
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 11, 2006, 02:48 PM

This happened to me, and eventually just stopped happening. I'd try leaving the app open but idle for a day.

Uisce

|Dark_Velvet|
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2006, 06:33 PM

do you have MPlayer 2.0b8r5 installed?yesterday i installed this version and itunes started to crash randomly.i uninstalled it with appzapper, installed MPlayer 1.0pre8 final and now itunes works perfect again. hope this is helpful.cheers

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 31, 2006, 07:22 PM

iTunes was crashing at the beginning and end of songs for me too. It seems to have gone away though.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2006, 07:34 PM

iTunes 7.0.2 out... go get it
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Forum Links
Forum Rules