Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What to do for 2 days in San Francisco?

What to do for 2 days in San Francisco?
mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2007, 01:50 PM

My company is sending me to downtown San Francisco at the end of January. Tuesday to Thursday I have a conference I need to attend, Friday and Saturday I have the days free, and I fly out on Sunday.

I'm thinking about going on the early morning Alcatraz tour on Friday morning which is at 9 and should finish around midday. Other than that, I do not have plans.

Any ideas?

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2007, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
My company is sending me to downtown San Francisco at the end of January. Tuesday to Thursday I have a conference I need to attend, Friday and Saturday I have the days free, and I fly out on Sunday.

I'm thinking about going on the early morning Alcatraz tour on Friday morning which is at 9 and should finish around midday. Other than that, I do not have plans.

Any ideas?
avoid the Zoo
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

AngelaBaby
Dec 26, 2007, 09:27 PM

Once you enter Alcatraz you cannot leave! Muahahahahaha

stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 26, 2007, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
avoid the Zoo
haha beat me to it!
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

mdc  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2007, 10:12 PM

haha, I just read that title now, and then came to this thread.

Anyone though?
I'll probably be going out for dinner during the week and then Friday and the weekend I'll be free.

stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 26, 2007, 10:34 PM

Hit up the Apple Store!
8GB iPhone

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 26, 2007, 11:59 PM

I went on a tour of Alcatraz last summer and it was pretty interesting. You could spend a whole day just walking around downtown too if you wanted.

stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 27, 2007, 01:01 AM

Also, the Exploratorium is AWESOME, even if you aren't a science buff.
8GB iPhone

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 27, 2007, 01:57 AM

Walk the GG Bridge.

Especially early when it's all misty.

iMac Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 21.5" Monitor 10.8.3.
iMac 17" 2.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w 3gb memory (White one) 10.6.8.
Internal 500gb / 8x external HDD's 250GB - 3TB (4x Time Machine)

ajprice
Professional Poster
Dec 27, 2007, 06:30 AM

Avoid the z... oh nevermind.

Go to the Moscone. You could say you have been where the MWSF is held. Not quite at the MWSF because you'll be 2 weeks too late, but its close enough.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2007, 06:33 AM

be sure to wear some flowers in your hair

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Dec 27, 2007, 06:48 AM

Moffat Field.
Next to NASA's Ames Research Center.
Big Blimp hanger from the 1930's.
Big enough to put the Titanics' entire hull in and shut the doors.

'Google earth' it.

Go snoop through the wharf, and up from there, used to be a wax museum. A few doors from that is a leather goods place with enormous discounts.

See the bridges up close.

Pick up some bong cleaner and screens in Haight-Ashberry.

forumhound
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 27, 2007, 06:52 AM

Go to the Zoo! Carry a sign: Free All Wild Animals In Captivity! Restore Wild Habitats! Support animalNEPAL.org! Or something like that. Cheers, and have fun in SF...

Dead MBP 2.2 4gig / New Aluminum iMacs / "Old" iPhones / 1st Gen Ipod Shuffle

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2007, 10:37 AM

Drop two hits of acid, and freak out on Haight Ashberry. Then have a friend take a picture.

Or taunt dangerous animals at the zoo whilst drunk. Also have a friend take a picture.
( Last edited by osiris; Dec 27, 2007 at 02:04 PM. )
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

LegendaryPinkOx
Senior User
Dec 27, 2007, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
Drop two hits of acid, and freak out out on Haight Ashberry. Then have a friend take a picture.

Or taunt dangerous animals at the zoo whilst drunk. Also have a friend take a picture.

I hear theres some really cool shops and restaraunts in China-town too.
are you lightfooted?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 27, 2007, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by AngelaBaby View Post
Almost like your forum on how to pick up women

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Location: Moved from Ohio's first capital to its current capital
Dec 27, 2007, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
Any ideas?
Rent a car and make the pilgrimage to Apple Corporate.

Ham Sandwich
Dec 27, 2007, 03:43 PM

San Fran is has the most tourists per year than anywhere else in the world so prepare to see a lot of them. Like locusts infesting upon the city. The bums are pretty awesome, too.

OreoCookie
Dec 27, 2007, 05:35 PM

Just go to Downtown and take a walk along Haight Street, my favorite place. You'll end up at a large park with lots of stuff to see (museums, a Japanese garden, you name it).

I'd also check out the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art.

And, last, but not least, you should hike up to Twin Peaks: you'll have a marvellous view onto the whole Bay
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 27, 2007, 06:36 PM

+1 for the art museum, if art is something that you enjoy. It is probably the best one that I have been to.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Dec 27, 2007, 07:24 PM

I definitely recommend Alcatraz, it's one of my favorite tourist attractions in the world. I don't really know a whole lot of other touristy stuff to do there, but I could point you to some good bars if you want.

Also, if you like Japanese curry (and you really should) you should go to Curry on the Bridge in Japantown. It's on the bridge (duh) between the two buildings of the Japantown mall. Fantastic Japanese curry, and quite possibly one of the things I miss the most about SF.

iM@k
Senior User
Dec 27, 2007, 09:08 PM

My favorite activity last year when I was there for MWSF was riding the cable cars at night. It's a bit cool that time of the year so dress appropriately. To get the most of the experience you must ride hanging on the outside. The view from the cars as you crest the hills, looking over the bay, is spectacular.

Also, if you take the above suggestion to visit the "Mother Ship", don't drive, take CalTrain, the view is awesome.
What, me worry?

OreoCookie
Dec 28, 2007, 05:34 AM

The trip to Apple is IMHO only worth it if you can get inside (you need to know an employee, though) … 

Ham Sandwich
Dec 28, 2007, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
The trip to Apple is IMHO only worth it if you can get inside (you need to know an employee, though) …
The employee/retail store is...well, like a regular Apple Store at a mall - except they have over-priced pens and shirts.

The Apple campus is actually pretty ugly and still looks like it's stuck in the early 80's. And, Cupertino is nothing but a big strip mall.

Ham Sandwich
Dec 28, 2007, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Just go to Downtown and take a walk along Haight Street, my favorite place. You'll end up at a large park with lots of stuff to see (museums, a Japanese garden, you name it).
And if you want to pick up a bag of expensive green herb, the park is the place to find it quite easily. Walk Haight straight into the park and be accosted by dozens of dealers!

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2007, 01:35 PM

Go gay for two days.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2007, 01:37 PM

The Tenderloin.

macfantn
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2007, 02:22 PM

i'd visit the zoo wearing a big piece of meat around my neck.
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

macfantn
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2007, 02:23 PM

visit the HGH hall of shame
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

macfantn
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2007, 02:24 PM

go to a niners game, i hear they are great this season.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2007, 02:34 PM

Please die.

Rumor
Dec 28, 2007, 02:45 PM

Chinatown is pretty nifty. Tons of good places to get food as well.

I'd avoid the Sushi Boat place. It seems interesting with the boat, but the sushi isn't that great and it is expensive.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

abe
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2008, 04:21 AM

In two days you will be hard pressed to give any one or two or three things the kind of time you might want without having the feeling you are missing out on everything else there is to do.

I'm going to say this and I absolutely believe you will thank me when you get back.

The first day, take the Gray Line Tour of the city. Take the longest, most comprehensive one possible of JUST THE CITY. Not the ones that go to Marin County or down the Peninsula or across the Bay to the East Bay, just the City.

That way you will see ALL of the tourist sights and when you go home you will feel as though at least you saw all the sights that SF is known for. You'll watch a sporting event, TV show, film or photos and they'll show sights and scenes of the City and you'll be able to say, "I saw that." BELIEVE me, you will get a LOT of satisfaction in years to come by just doing that! PLUS the tour guide will tell you things about the sights that maybe many of the natives don't even know! It won't be strenuous or aggravating to negotiate traffic and parking and finding gas stations downtown (virtually impossible) or getting lost.

And while you are on the bus tour and you see something you'd actually like to spend more time doing, make a note of it on a map or a notebook and then the next day go to that or those places and you will have the one or two in-depth experiences as well as having seen the overall sight seeing touristy things. You will feel as though you will never again HAVE to go back to visit SF because you missed something.

But if you really like it, (and who doesn't?) you will be in a better position to plan your next visit.

If you want a fun theme for visiting SF and have the time, get a bunch of the postcards of the City that you really think are impressive. Then try to find those sights and the exact places where the postcard photos were taken and then you shoot your own photos from that vantage point. People will think you are a GREAT photographer and it will be a fun way to see those sights.

If you are a film fan get a book and find famous SF film sights.

One thing you should NOT miss is to eat at funky old historic Tommy's Joynt on Van Ness Avenue and Geary Blvd. The food is great, they have a great variety of food, you can get a meal and a beer for less than $10.00 and there are TV's in the place. During the week you have businesspeople and tourists. On weekends you get tourists, construction workers, businesspeople and students and other natives. My mouth is watering just thinking about it!

Tommy's Joynt

Another cheap, funky eatery is The Cheese Steak Shop. Best cheesesteaks around!

The Cheese Steak Shop - Pacific Heights - San Francisco, CA 94115

I could go on and on but that's enough.

Grayline Tour of the City on Day 1. Then focus on a place or two for the second day.

And if you can, catch Tommy's Joynt and the Cheese Steak Shop.

You will thank me.

Enjoy!
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 1, 2008, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by AngelaBaby View Post
Will you ever stop posting sh!t just to promote your stupid-a$$ links ?

-t

OreoCookie
Jan 1, 2008, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by screamingFit View Post
The employee/retail store is...well, like a regular Apple Store at a mall - except they have over-priced pens and shirts.
However, if you know someone who works there, you get a substantial discount
Originally Posted by screamingFit View Post
The Apple campus is actually pretty ugly and still looks like it's stuck in the early 80's. And, Cupertino is nothing but a big strip mall.
The outside doesn't look very exciting, but the inside is really great. Especially the cafeteria: foods from all over the world made by cooks who actually come from that country! I had soba … 

Oversoul
Senior User
Jan 3, 2008, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by abe View Post
If you want a fun theme for visiting SF and have the time, get a bunch of the postcards of the City that you really think are impressive. Then try to find those sights and the exact places where the postcard photos were taken and then you shoot your own photos from that vantage point. People will think you are a GREAT photographer and it will be a fun way to see those sights.
On that note, you might want to visit Alamo Square Park, which is a great place to view the Painted Ladies Victorians (of Full House and postcard fame) with San Francisco's downtown in the backdrop. Alamo Square is quite near the Hayes Valley neighborhood, which in recent years has become quite trendy with nice restaurants and boutiques. If you're in downtown, catch the No. 21 Hayes Valley MUNI and it'll take you right through Hayes Valley and directly to Alamo Square.

A walk up Haight Street ending in Golden Gate Park is quite an experience. Though there are some cool shops and restaurants in the Lower Haight, you might want to skip it because (1) it can be a bit seedy and (2) you're walking up a hill. From downtown, catch the Nos. 6, 7 or 71 MUNI buses up to about Masonic and Haight and enjoy counter-culture meets mass consumerism. As for Golden Gate Park, a stop by Sharon Meadow, the Japanese Tea Garden, the De Young Museum and the Conservatory might be worth your time. Come next year, the Academy of Sciences' new building will have opened up.

Around the Marina, my favorite spots are Crissy Field (with great views of the Golden Gate Bridge), the Presidio, and the Palace of Fine Arts (which is near the above posted Exploratorium). These places can be a bit more difficult to get to via public transit, but if the day is nice I'd suggest renting a bike from vendors nearby at Pier 39/Fisherman's Wharf (accessible from downtown, take the "F" MUNI Streetcar -- it's so distinctive you can't miss it). You might want to take in the sights around Pier 39 and Fisherman's Wharf, but don't stay too long -- they're huge tourist traps. The Marina itself has great shopping (from the new Apple Store and brand names to boutiques), restaurants and bars (quite the yuppy scene).

Again, if the day is nice, look into renting a bike and taking it across the Golden Gate Bridge. Across the Bridge and away from the city is the Marin Headlands. Absolutely breathtaking scenery with several scenic lookouts to view the Bridge and San Francisco. Another option is to board a ferry departing from Pier 39 (you can buy tickets there) to Angel Island or Sausalito, both nice departures from the city (though Sausalito itself is a bit touristy) and another option to Alcatraz Island.

A few comments about some suggestions above:
SF's MOMA: If modern art is your thing, some interesting pieces here, but I think you'll find a better collection in the New York MOMA.

Chinatown: A world of contrast, and not in the way you might think. Grant Ave. running up and down San Francisco's Chinatown is full of touristy shops and you'll find quite a number of tourists walking along this corridor. One block west, on Stockton St., you'll find meat markets and green grocers busily catering to a predominantly Chinese population. Note that both streets get crowded and even occasionally shove-y. For me, New York's Chinatown and even Flushing are a lot more authentic with much more variety in shops.

I hope this adds a little to the above suggestions. Enjoy your visit from someone who's lived in NYC now in SF!

Another note: Yelp* is a quite popular reviews site in San Francisco and quite useful for finding points of interest and what people think about that place.
( Last edited by Oversoul; Jan 3, 2008 at 08:17 AM. )

abe
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2008, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Oversoul View Post
On that note, you might want to visit Alamo Square Park, which is a great place to view the Painted Ladies Victorians (of Full House and postcard fame) with San Francisco's downtown in the backdrop. Alamo Square is quite near the Hayes Valley neighborhood, which in recent years has become quite trendy with nice restaurants and boutiques. If you're in downtown, catch the No. 21 Hayes Valley MUNI and it'll take you right through Hayes Valley and directly to Alamo Square.

A walk up Haight Street ending in Golden Gate Park is quite an experience. Though there are some cool shops and restaurants in the Lower Haight, you might want to skip it because (1) it can be a bit seedy and (2) you're walking up a hill. From downtown, catch the Nos. 6, 7 or 71 MUNI buses up to about Masonic and Haight and enjoy counter-culture meets mass consumerism. As for Golden Gate Park, a stop by Sharon Meadow, the Japanese Tea Garden, the De Young Museum and the Conservatory might be worth your time. Come next year, the Academy of Sciences' new building will have opened up.

Around the Marina, my favorite spots are Crissy Field (with great views of the Golden Gate Bridge), the Presidio, and the Palace of Fine Arts (which is near the above posted Exploratorium). These places can be a bit more difficult to get to via public transit, but if the day is nice I'd suggest renting a bike from vendors nearby at Pier 39/Fisherman's Wharf. You might want to take in the sights around Pier 39 and Fisherman's Wharf, but don't stay too long -- they're huge tourist traps. The Marina itself has great shopping (from the new Apple Store and brand names to boutiques), restaurants and bars (quite the yuppy scene).

Again, if the day is nice, look into renting a bike and taking it across the Golden Gate Bridge. Across the Bridge and away from the city is the Marin Headlands. Absolutely breathtaking scenery with several scenic lookouts to view the Bridge and San Francisco. Another option is to board a ferry departing from Pier 39 (you can buy tickets there) to Angel Island or Sausalito, both nice departures from the city (though Sausalito itself is a bit touristy) and another option to Alcatraz Island.

A few comments about some suggestions above:
SF's MOMA: If modern art is your thing, some interesting pieces here, but I think you'll find a better collection in the New York MOMA.

Chinatown: A world of contrast, and not in the way you might think. Grant Ave. running up and down San Francisco's Chinatown is full of touristy shops and you'll find quite a number of tourists walking along this corridor. One block west, on Stockton St., you'll find meat markets and green grocers busily catering to a predominantly Chinese population. Note that both streets get crowded and even occasionally shove-y. For me, New York's Chinatown and even Flushing are a lot more authentic with much more variety in shops.

I hope this adds a little to the above suggestions. Enjoy your visit from someone who's lived in NYC now in SF!
All of the things you mention are wonderful and I heartily concur with your suggestions but I could also add another dozen things. It's just a fun town.

By the way, if the traffic Gods are with you it may only take about an hour to go from SF to Apple Campus.
( Last edited by abe; Jan 3, 2008 at 08:16 AM. )
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 3, 2008, 11:44 AM

mmmmMMMmmm. Last time I was in San Francisco I ended up drunk at Tommy's Joynt with some friends at 2 AM in the mourning, and the turkey smelled so good...
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 3, 2008, 11:50 AM

By the way, if the traffic Gods are with you it may only take about an hour to go from SF to Apple Campus.
About 40 minutes if you're lucky, but as has been mentioned, you can't just stroll into Apple campus. It's probably only worth it if you are a very rabid Mac fan, or want to make a side trip to San Jose.

Even if you do get inside the building, they'll probably only let you into Cafe Macs. Doubtful you'd be able to get into the offices.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

abe
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2008, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
mmmmMMMmmm. Last time I was in San Francisco I ended up drunk at Tommy's Joynt with some friends at 2 AM in the mourning, and the turkey smelled so good...
I have mixed emotions now about this thread. I love SF but when I read through the thread I ALWAYS linger on the Tommy's Joynt image and think about the sights, smells and tastes of the place and I want to go there to eat, so badly!

Oversoul
Senior User
Jan 5, 2008, 12:10 PM

I have mixed emotions now about this thread. I love SF but when I read through the thread I ALWAYS linger on the Tommy's Joynt image and think about the sights, smells and tastes of the place and I want to go there to eat, so badly!

Is it really that good? I have a confession, I've lived in San Francisco for about 3 1/2 years now and I haven't been to the place.

abe
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2008, 12:21 AM

Is it really that good? I have a confession, I've lived in San Francisco for about 3 1/2 years now and I haven't been to the place.
I don't want to over sell the place. It's a Hofbrau and there aren't that many Hofbraus in the City or the near Peninsula any more. And it is as close to being a NY style Deli as you're going to find in SF (AFAIK) IF ONLY BECAUSE YOU CAN GET FRESH, HOT CORNED BEEF, ROAST BEEF, TURKEY BREAST CARVED FOR YOU RIGHT THERE OR KNOCKWURST & SAUERKRAUT.

I love the idea of hot, juicy sandwiches on rye bread and at the tables are little containers of brown or yellow mustard and horseradish so you can flavor it just as you like.

YUM!

And try the Buffalo Stew or sandwiches just so you can say you did.

Pssst. Don't tell anyone it tastes pretty much just like beef.

Here are some more images of Tommy's Joynt.
Tommy's Joynt - San Francisco

And here are many different images of San Francisco
San Francisco at Night pictures and videos on Webshots

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2008, 12:35 AM

With the disclaimer that I haven't eaten their food...

It looked good, and it smelled good. It's certainly not some gourmet place but for a quick filling meal it looked like it would be a good place. The atmosphere is interesting, but don't be expecting personal service or anything. I was just in there drinking a pitcher of cheap beer with friends.

Oversoul
Senior User
Jan 6, 2008, 12:46 AM

I don't want to over sell the place. It's a Hofbrau and there aren't that many Hofbraus in the City or the near Peninsula any more. And it is as close to being a NY style Deli as you're going to find in SF (AFAIK) IF ONLY BECAUSE YOU CAN GET FRESH, HOT CORNED BEEF, ROAST BEEF, TURKEY BREAST CARVED FOR YOU RIGHT THERE OR KNOCKWURST & SAUERKRAUT.
I think you've sold me into trying the place out. I've missed NYC style delis, the likes of Katz's, Carnegie and even the mom and pops, since I've moved away from that city. I won't go in with comparisons in mind, but I do miss good delis.

abe
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2008, 02:54 AM

I think you've sold me into trying the place out. I've missed NYC style delis, the likes of Katz's, Carnegie and even the mom and pops, since I've moved away from that city. I won't go in with comparisons in mind, but I do miss good delis.
I remember getting off work one pleasant September afternoon/evening and stopping off there for a hot roast beef and mashed potato dinner then walking a few blocks to a less crowded bar where old time locals hung out. Old time San Franciscans often sport NY accents and sensibilities. They are a dying breed. While there I pulled out a copy of Henry Miller's Tropic of Cancer and began reading. A comely Miss sat next to me and we began discussing Miller. She said she'd corresponded with him. I bought her a beer. We traded more lies and I fed the jukebox.

Sinatra.

A nice breeze made the afternoon nicer.

The summer wind came blowin in from across the sea...

Some bars are yuppie places to dress up and meet other dress ups.

Some bars are places to pick up and get picked up.

Some bars are meant for those who want to get drunk but don't like getting drunk alone.

This was a place to enjoy the day if you wanted. Enjoy the company if you wanted. And have a drink if you wanted. And a good number of locals, respectable looking folks, even though I suspect there wasn't a BMW among them, were there doing all of the above.

And by the time I was ready to leave, my dollar's worth of music was about to end.

The perfect evening was had, I thought, until the entire bar spontaneously joined in to accompany Frank as he sang...

New York, New York.

How could you improve on perfection? That did it.

I left and walked home happy.

Nothing special happened that afternoon but it was just perfect.

Tommy's Joynt was a part of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules