Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Space Shuttle Endeavour Launch

Space Shuttle Endeavour Launch
mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2008, 08:56 PM

LegendaryPinkOx posted a link to NASA's UStream in the PuppyCam thread.
I didn't want to hijack that thread, but from UStream I found a link to spacevidcast.com.

On said site there is an HD video of the launch of Endeavour.
Amazing video. The statistics that are said while Endeavour is en route are so cool.

http://www.spacevidcast.com/2008/11/...vour-11142008/

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 17, 2008, 01:35 AM

that's awesome. crazy when Endeavour leaves it's fuel tank behind.

Why does safari not like the spelling of endeavour?
ice

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 17, 2008, 02:53 AM

Too colourful.

But it's my favourite.

Okay. I'm leaving now. I promise.

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2008, 06:34 PM

36 million horse power!

I love the space shuttle.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 17, 2008, 06:54 PM

I'll have to wait until I get home. I'm gonna play it on my TV with the subwoofer all the way up.

My dad got to see a shuttle launch once when he was in Florida. He said there's no comparison. You're, of course, way back in the bleachers, and you see the steam everywhere and people rushing to put in ear plugs. Your first thought is "meh, not so loud. I'm like 10 miles from the launch si-" ... BOOOOOOOM!!!!!!
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2008, 07:10 PM

NASA is expected to hold a breifing on the shuttle soon. Is this a bad thing?

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2008, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by King Bob On The Cob View Post
NASA is expected to hold a breifing on the shuttle soon. Is this a bad thing?
well they have just attached the leonardo module, so it's probably about how that all went.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2008, 11:39 PM

Watched it from 20 miles away. Damn you traffic!

What a pretty orange streak of fire climbing up the black sky

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2008, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Andrew Stephens View Post
36 million horse power!

I love the space shuttle.
Still no match for the mighty Subaru Wrx Sti.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2008, 11:49 PM

The Shuttle missions have been going for what, 30 years or so? Every time I see one I say to myself that I would give anything to "slip the surly bonds of Earth..." That has to be a serious ****ing kick in the pants.

Gator Lager
Senior User
Nov 18, 2008, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
Watched it from 20 miles away. Damn you traffic!

What a pretty orange streak of fire climbing up the black sky
I told you to get over here early
People started parking there RV's on 528 two days before launch. Yep it'll be packed the day/night of launch.

They said that when Apollo 11 launched, as well as STS 1 (Columbia),
there was over 1 million people packed around the area.

I wish you all could experience a launch. And of course a night launch is the best.
I've seen over a hundred launches and I still get goose bumps. It cannot be explained, you need to hear and feel it.

So this being a night launch meant one thing. Many bus loads of VIP's. Congress/Senators, movie stars...etc on hand before launch.

Now having time to show off our Shuttles before launch. NASA arranged for guided tours of our work areas. The guides are some times us (the people that actually working on the shuttle fleet). We get some group of VIPs and lead them around. Answer their questions, generally its show and tell time.

One of my friends got picked to lead a small group of folks. He was pointing out stuff to an elderly gentleman in the group. Who appeared to be interested and was listening very tentatively to what he was saying. Then my friend said, all the sudden he realized who he was explaining Space hardware to.

Neil Armstrong

Now I don't get all goo-goo about famous people, but in the case. I would have enjoyed to be leading this group.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 18, 2008, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by Gator Lager View Post

Neil Armstrong

Now I don't get all goo-goo about famous people, but in the case. I would have enjoyed to be leading this group.
One of my fondest memories is of John Glenn punching a "Fake Moon Landing" protestor. *sigh* I love science.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2008, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by Gator Lager View Post
I told you to get over here early
People started parking there RV's on 528 two days before launch. Yep it'll be packed the day/night of launch.

They said that when Apollo 11 launched, as well as STS 1 (Columbia),
there was over 1 million people packed around the area.

I wish you all could experience a launch. And of course a night launch is the best.
I've seen over a hundred launches and I still get goose bumps. It cannot be explained, you need to hear and feel it.

So this being a night launch meant one thing. Many bus loads of VIP's. Congress/Senators, movie stars...etc on hand before launch.

Now having time to show off our Shuttles before launch. NASA arranged for guided tours of our work areas. The guides are some times us (the people that actually working on the shuttle fleet). We get some group of VIPs and lead them around. Answer their questions, generally its show and tell time.

One of my friends got picked to lead a small group of folks. He was pointing out stuff to an elderly gentleman in the group. Who appeared to be interested and was listening very tentatively to what he was saying. Then my friend said, all the sudden he realized who he was explaining Space hardware to.

Neil Armstrong

I just got goose-bumps reading that story at the end. Your friend must have been pretty cool to not jump up and down and yell "Holy Sh!t, I am explaining how rockets work to the first person to set foot on the moon. What is wrong with this picture." At least, that's what I would have done.

(I actually had a chance to meet Buzz Aldrin through an event at work and I was left speechless, frozen in my tracks, and unable to go up to him and ask to take his picture when I saw him. I have met heads of state, politicians, and leading figures in the arts, sciences, and medicine--in one of the PWL threads is a list of all the Nobel Prize winners I have met through work--and no one has ever left me speechless besides Aldrin.)
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2008, 08:07 AM

That HD could have been better. Nice launch, though.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Forum Links
Forum Rules