Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Installing Windows 7

Installing Windows 7
themacguy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2011, 06:47 PM

So I've read there's a lot of good reasons to install Windows 7 OS on my mac, but does anyone know how I would go about doing this? I've installed programs before. That's easy. But never a new operating system.
Kind Regards,
The Mac Guy
Author of Return of Premium Life Insurance

Thorzdad
May 19, 2011, 07:22 PM

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
May 21, 2011, 01:32 AM

Adding to the list: VirtualBox (since it's free).

I do have to admit that both VMware Fusion and Parallels Desktop make installing Windows 7 a breeze to install – it's almost a one-stop setup. I think Boot Camp does the same, but my memory fails me at the moment.

ghporter
Administrator
May 21, 2011, 07:52 AM

The process of installing a Windows OS is really pretty straight forward-if somewhat lengthy. You put in the disc, follow instructions, and let the process run. One note from experience with XP: once you have the installation process going, if the machine says "hit any key to boot from CD," (or similar prompt) just ignore it. Way too many people goof up a perfectly good install by actually restarting it this way. Once you've gotten started, just answer questions and tell the machine stuff it needs to know, and you'll be fine.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules