Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Failure to download components preventing Lion install

Failure to download components preventing Lion install
apollo11
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2012, 09:42 AM

MBP 2 core duo. 3 Gb RAM
Bought Lion on USB 3 months ago , wouldn't install. Forum suggested to wait for some sort of "enabler" to be released.

Tried installation on a clean disc with no os on it x 2 yesterday. Down loads some components then fails to proceed and says that some components could not be down loaded.
Should I forget Lion and hope Mountain Lion will work or should I just stick with SnowLeopard.

Thanks for any suggestions

ibook_steve
Mar 6, 2012, 03:49 AM

I presume you mean "Core 2 Duo", not a "2 core duo." Lion only installs on Core 2 Duo processors or later (around 2007 or 2008 time frame). Which exact machine do you have?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 6, 2012, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
I presume you mean "Core 2 Duo", not a "2 core duo." Lion only installs on Core 2 Duo processors or later (around 2007 or 2008 time frame). Which exact machine do you have?
I was going to enquire along the same lines, but none of the Core Duo machines accepted 3 GB of RAM.

If he has 3 GB of RAM, he MUST have a Core 2 Duo, which *should* run Lion.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2012, 05:37 AM

When Lion installer says its "downloading components" it isn't. Its copying stuff from the installer to the target drive. Could be an issue with your disk.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

apollo11  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 6, 2012, 08:19 AM

Thank you for your posts, my machine is a core 2 duo, ifixit sold me the 3 gigs as a2 gig stick and a 1 gig stick these show up in about this mac?

My mac is out of apple care so i replaced the dvd with a 1 Tb hdd and partitioned it.

Each night Superduper clones the boot hdd to one of the partitions , just in case of a crash.

The mac boots from the clone ok so I cannot see why installation of lion shold be a problem

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2012, 10:03 AM

If you press Command-L that should open a log. With a pop up you can tell it to show all messages (instead of just errors). This way you should be able to see at which step it hangs.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 6, 2012, 11:00 AM

Also, you can run Disk Utility over it and see whether it finds any errors (NOT permissions check - permissions are completely irrelevant to an OS install, as that overrides any existing permissions anyway).

How much free space on the internal drive?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 6, 2012, 11:03 AM

Wait: which disk are you trying to install to?

The Lion installer repartitioned the boot disk to add a recovery partition that it then boots into to install the OS.

If you've got a weird partition scheme already going, the Installer probably isn't able to resize the existing partitions and create its own, which would explain why it fails at copying the necessary boot and installation routines to the non-existing recovery partition.

Forum Links
Forum Rules