Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > My prefs keep resetting to default [:o]

My prefs keep resetting to default [:o]
ixus_123
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2003, 03:24 PM

I don't know why but in the last couple of days all my apps will start to crash one by one so I log out and in again and when I do my dock is reset to default (icons, size etc)

Aswell as that background colour in iPhoto is reset to white, homepage & colour in IE is default too, along with lots of my other app resetting like world clock etc. Thankfully I'm not loosing any data, but I have no idea whats causing this any suggestions are most welcome.

(I run os 10.2.2)
iBook G3 366mhz as a web server:
http://kieren.demon.co.uk/wordpress/

Sven G
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2003, 06:26 AM

The "reset to defaults" problem could be due to your apps not finding your home folder, thus causing a new, default home folder to be created from scratch; this could happen, for example, if you have your Users folder on another partition and haven't updated your NetInfo database (there should also always be a symbolic link to the Users partition in the root (system) partition). Not sure if this applies in your case, however: there could be other reasons. Anyway, for more info on moving the Users folder to another partition, there's Mike Bombich's excellent tutorial here...

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

ixus_123  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 4, 2003, 09:27 AM

Thanks for the link - I'm having a look now.

Someone else asked me about the state of my Hard drive - it's 129mb from full so it might be that this has something to do with it? ? ?

Other than the HD nothing else has changed (that im aware of) on my system

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 4, 2003, 10:37 AM

When your hard disk gets too close to full, applications start losing preferences. It's a common problem, although not a well documented one. You should really try to keep 1GB free if possible. Once you get down to below 500mb free you are getting close having the problem you describe.

ixus_123  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2003, 03:57 PM

Thanks. I managed to free up 500mb and things seem to be running smooth again. A firewire hard drive is top of my shoppin glist but I'll have to wait 'till pay day at the end of the month.

Forum Links
Forum Rules