Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > URGENT: Pismo won't boot, please help

URGENT: Pismo won't boot, please help
Amorya
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2003, 01:10 PM

My Pismo won't boot anymore.

I was installing Riven to see if it worked, as my friend's copy appeared to be damaged. So, I perform the install (in Classic, under 10.1), and she's right, it doesn't run. Namely, it asks for disk 2 then won't accept it.

Well, I guess it might be an OSX/Classic problem, so I decide to boot into OS9. I change the startup disk, then click Restart. It quits some apps then hangs, as it sometimes does. I force restart, and get a flashing ??.

I've tried:
  • Zapping the PRAM. No luck
  • Installing OS9 on an iPod and trying to boot off that. The pod sits there saying OK to Disconnect. (There's no special key to press to boot off firewire is there?)
  • Restarting on an OS9 CD (holding C). No CDs will start, except one called Apple Hardware Test which pops up a box saying "Not compatible with your machine - restart?" - all the rest still go to the ??
  • Holding down option at startup - no disks appear
  • Connecting the pismo to an imac and trying firewire disk mode - the iMac is silent. But as soon as I remove the connection, the iMac says "Unreadable volume - open disk utility?"

What can I do? As is always the way, I need to finish some assignments for tomorrow which are stored on there... (there's no negotiation, it's an exam board deadline that my college has no control over - I don't get it in, I fail.) My backups are a few weeks old, and some things that I've done over Christmas are not backed up.

I have access to a number of bootable CDs... OS9 ones and 'Software Restore' ones. I can't find my OSX ones - if I do, I'll have a set of 10.0 disks and the 10.1 upgrades.

Any suggestions?

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

pat++
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2003, 01:22 PM

Boot into Open Firmware (cmd-opt-O-F)

then enter the following commands :

reset-nvram
reset-all

Your computer should then reboot.

Amorya  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2003, 01:32 PM

Originally posted by pat++:
Boot into Open Firmware (cmd-opt-O-F)

then enter the following commands :

reset-nvram
reset-all

Your computer should then reboot.
Didn't work I'm afraid. The mac rebooted, but still went to the flashing question mark no system folder thing.

Thanks anyway though.

Anyone any ideas?

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

pat++
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2003, 01:36 PM

You may find useful information here .

Good luck.

Amorya  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2003, 01:43 PM

Originally posted by pat++:
You may find useful information here .

Good luck.
I don't think any of that is working - save a MacOS X CD which I haven't tried. But the fact it won't boot from any CDs at all (seemingly) suggests it could be something more serious

Amorya

Roxie
Forum Regular
Jan 5, 2003, 02:28 PM

Try DiskWarrior. It's always worked for me when I get the ? folder. You also might try and reset the power manager although I am unsure if this will help.

From Apple's site.

PowerBook (FireWire)

1. If the computer is on, turn it off.
2. Press the reset button located on the rear panel of the computer between the external video and modem ports.
3. Wait 5 seconds.
4. Press the Power button to restart the computer.
( Last edited by Roxie; Jan 5, 2003 at 02:34 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules