Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > new mail icon

new mail icon (Page 2)
The Enigma Mach
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 18, 2004, 05:36 PM

I have to agree with some of the others here about using copy/paste in the get info window working. I have always done it that way and leave mail in my dock. It has always worked with the new mail badge in the dock. In fact I am using the flag mail icon from this thread and just copy/paste in the get info window and it worked fine. Maybe its just one of those wierd computer things that it works this way on some systems and that way on others.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2004, 05:42 PM

I just did a simple copy/paste for Mail (10.3.3) still works and great looking icons.

Its not practical and I think everyone in the world would hate this idea except me but what if you could have the icons change everyday or whatever time period you want. Now I have all these great Mail icons and I can't use them all at once. I am talking like the rotate desktop picture feature (which I have change every 5 seconds).

Thanks again for the icons. Keep up the great work.

mdc  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 18, 2004, 08:42 PM

i was thinking of that myself a few days ago. i am no programmer and would not know where to start, so i was thinking of an applescript. something to put in your login items. a script that would copy an app.icns into the mail.app/contents/resources folder. this i can do, but would it be possible to randomize which mail icon to copy?

maybe create a folder somewhere full of mail icons. 1.icns 2.icns 3.icns etc and then randomly choose a number between 1 and x and copy that number.icns to mail.app/contents/resources.

the script could then close, open and hide mail. and the icon will update.

this could be set to run every time you login. but that does not happen very often for me. so maybe with cron(?) scripting it could be set to run every hour or so.

the only problem is the random number thing or i would have made this script already.

.edit
i am working on this script as we speak
/edit

.edit2.
option click to download
ok, this is my first time in doing anything more than open this app close that one in applescript. so this could be completely wrong and there could be a much easier way to do this. hopefully someone will pick up this script and work on it.

right now it is very not ready for prime time since it requires three things
1. for mail to be in the Applications folder
2. for you to put all the mail .icns files inside Mail.app/Contents/Resources in a created folder call Icons
3. rename all your mail .icns files to 1.icns 2.icns 3.icns etc etc

i have it randomly choosing a number between 1 and 7 since there are only 7 .icns files in my Icons folder. if you add more files you have to edit the script.
question: is there a way to make applescript count all the .icns files in the folder and save that as a variable and then random up to that number?

but right now as it is, it works.
if you have set it all up like i said it will:[*] generate a random number from 1 to 7[*] delete app.icns out of mail/contents/resources[*] copy randomnumber.icns from mail/contents/resources/icons to mail/contents/resources[*] quit mail[*] wait 2 seconds[*] run mail[*] hide mail

tada! a new mail icon. i am pretty impressed with myself for learning this in the pase hour or so. but it needs work.
getting the script to run automatically every hour or so would be cool too.
( Last edited by mdc; Apr 18, 2004 at 10:53 PM. )

JudieKaren
Forum Regular
Apr 18, 2004, 11:01 PM

Originally posted by Mediaman_12:
Because the Mail dock icon is a complicated beast, the way it's updated with the 'new mail' badge the usual 'get info & paste' method doesn't replace the correct icon file (it will replace the Finder app icon but the one that appears in the Dock won't be changed). To replace the icon so the 'Dock badge's' still work you have to replace the app's app.icns file. this is located at "Mail/Contents/Resources/app.icns". The best thing to do is to rename the original then place the custom one in the same location, then rename the new one "app.icns". This way you won't loose the original Apple icon, incase you want to revert.

but, but, but�we're wondering WHY *get info copy/paste* works for some of us and not for others? Are we all using OS X 10.3.3? My Mail icon in the Dock is the cool Apple icon I asked mdc to create and it says I have 2 new emails waiting to be read right now. Why for some, not for others?
JudieKaren

vandymac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 19, 2004, 02:48 AM

bad karma maybe?
copy-paste worked fine here
Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you? -Whitman

SSharon
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2004, 03:29 AM

mdc: omg thank you so much. When its not 3am I will definately try this out but it seems like it will work. I don't like making scripts from the start but to modify them I am ok with. It's also comforting to know that at least one person thinks my idea isn't crazy. I will try out the script later and post back with any suggestions if I have any. Thanks again.

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2004, 03:36 AM

Originally posted by mdc:
the usps link you gave me timed out. so i found this liberty one.

option click to download
I like that one
Using it right now
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

SSharon
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2004, 05:49 PM

mdc: I got your script, made the icon folder, renamed the icons, Mail is in app folder, etc. but I seem to be getting strange results. I don't get any errors running the script (manually not from the standalone app) but the icon in my dock doesn't change either. I have the resources folder open and I noticed that when I run the script the app.icns disappears as it is removed and replaced by a new file, whose name a see for a second before it goes back to app.icns. Do you have any idea what the problem is? I even removed the icon from the dock so it would make a new one but that didn't help. I want to get this to work so any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

mdc  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2004, 06:46 PM

that all seems right.
this may be complete dumb but try get info the mail.app and click the icon image and press delete to make it use the mail.app/contents/resources/app.icns

see what happens

SSharon
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2004, 08:07 PM

good advice. get info on the app, click on the icon, hit delete, remove from dock, reopen, done. Mail now goes through the 15 icons I have for it (all great and all from this thread). Thanks everyone.

Sakino
Senior User
Apr 25, 2004, 03:49 PM

Is their any websites, or more stamp pictures out there?

JudieKaren
Forum Regular
Apr 25, 2004, 04:00 PM

Originally posted by Sakino:
Is their any websites, or more stamp pictures out there?
Sakino

This is the USPS website. You can browse the stamp issues here: http://shop.usps.com/cgi-bin/vsbv/po...tampIssues.jsp
JudieKaren

Dave Brasgalla
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2004, 06:11 AM

Here is the best routine I have formed for replacing your Mail app icon, step by step. If you simply use the cut & paste technique in Get Info, the icon will revert back to the original once you get new mail and the Dock icon is badged to indicate this.

Step 1) Save out the icon you want to use as "app.icns" using the icon application of your choice.

Step 2) In your Applications folder, find the Mail application. Don't open it - rather, hold down the Control key on your keyboard and click-and-hold on the application until the Contextual Menu pops ups. In this menu, you will see an item called "Show Package Contents". This will open the application like a folder. You'll see a single folder inside called "Contents". Double-click this folder.

Step 3) Now you should see two more folders and a few other files. Double-click the folder named "Resources". Look for a file called "app.icns". Rename this file to something else - I use "app_icon_original.icns", so I can easily find it to revert back if I want to. Now, copy the file you created in Step 1 called "app.icns" into this folder. Don't mess about with any other files in this folder. Close the window and all folders.

Step 4) You've now swapped out the file the application uses to determine what icon to display, without destroying the original icon file. A restart is a good idea, in order to get the new icons to show up. You may need to drag the old app icon out of the Dock and then drag the Mail app back into the Dock to get it to update there (the icon in the Dock may update itself the first time you luanch Mail after the restart).

Step 5) I highly recommend that at this point you run Apple's "Disk Utility" application (found in the folder /Applications/Utilities) and use the "Repair Permissions" function. Since the file you dragged into the Application's package was created elsewhere, the permissions will not match. Running the Disk Utility app will correct this, and will properly associate your new custom icon as part of the Mail app.

Because it's advisable to run the Disk Utility afterwards, I'm not sure how practical it is to use a script to swap the icns file on a regular basis.

Bear in mind that if you run an Apple update that includes changes to the Mail application, your icon will likely be overwritten with the original icon by the update installer, so keep a safety copy of your custom icon somewhere, so that you can repeat this process after updating.

I hope this was helpful...

ElricQuill
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2004, 06:27 AM

i had enough of the eagle on the mail icon. i went looking on the usps website and i found this stamp and i made a mail icon out of it. i thought i would put it here, just incase anyone would like it.

click to download it, if you want it. option click if it does not work

edit. created a .sitx and updated link
Um, could someone please email me the original .psd file? The link to it seems to be dead!
Thanks

mdc  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2004, 12:18 PM

oops, that's my fault.

option click to download

ElricQuill
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2004, 12:16 PM

oops, that's my fault.

option click to download
Thanks, Appreciate it

Krypton
Mac Elite
May 1, 2004, 08:56 AM

Originally posted by Mediaman_12:
went mad (if you are really into icon making then the iconfactorys photoshop plugin is great) and did loads of UK stamps.

You may have to right click to download, I don't know how the server handles .icns files, or download all the icons in one stuffit file.
Those are great, but could you add a subtle drop shadow as the border isn't very defined at small sizes.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
May 1, 2004, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by Krypton:
Those are great, but could you add a subtle drop shadow as the border isn't very defined at small sizes.
I can see what you mean. I look at may Mail icon mostly in the dock.

With a combination of the server and Safari the download of the individual .icns files was impossible, right click for a .icns.sit it may work, or download all the icons in one stuffit file.
Now with added shadow (really, Safari may be having cash trouble with the updated images).
Shadowed Photoshop file (includes all stamps) Download
( Last edited by Mediaman_12; May 1, 2004 at 01:43 PM. )

Krypton
Mac Elite
May 3, 2004, 05:47 AM

That's bloomin fanatastic Mediaman!

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2004, 12:12 AM

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2004, 01:44 AM

The iLust icon set has a super icon for mail.

http://www.resexcellence.com/archive_icons_01/pop.shtml

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

nycdunz
Senior User
Jun 14, 2004, 03:16 AM

mdc, where is the psd template file for your stamps, i cannot seem to get em off your server anymore, can you or someone please post it up, i wanna make some stamp icons too...

by the way, where do you guys get the APPLE CUPERTINO circle that goes over the stamp? where is that located?

and how do you make the stamp templates? is it a photoshop brush, shape, or what? please help...

Fluid
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 14, 2004, 03:25 AM

:: Can someone make me an icon with this stamp please?

:: http://shop.usps.com/images/04_louisandclark37_f.jpg

:: Fluid

diskgolfking
Jun 14, 2004, 07:27 PM

Two things:

First, MediaMan - what happened to scotch?? It seems to be gone!

Second, did something change or does Pixadex do something special with mail? The reason I ask is that using Pixadex's Quickdrop to change the Mail.app icon seems to work like you would expect it to. The icon and dock icon change and the red badge appears over the new icon in the dock. Just right! Anyone else experiencing this?

shindo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 15, 2004, 09:29 AM

good job. nice mail icon set.

mdc  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2004, 09:35 AM

by nycdunz;
mdc, where is the psd template file for your stamps, i cannot seem to get em off your server anymore, can you or someone please post it up, i wanna make some stamp icons too...
my server got a bit messed up, i need to upload everything again, i'll do it in a few hours and then post a new post with links to all my stamps.

by nycdunz;
by the way, where do you guys get the APPLE CUPERTINO circle that goes over the stamp? where is that located?
that was made by someone on these board, mediaman12 maybe, and it is a .psd which you can use as a layer.

by nycdunz;
and how do you make the stamp templates? is it a photoshop brush, shape, or what? please help...
i use either a whole image and resize it to icon size, or i use the original mail icon as a template.

by fluid
:: Can someone make me an icon with this stamp please?

:: http://shop.usps.com/images/04_louisandclark37_f.jpg

:: Fluid
i'll do that for you today.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2004, 06:42 PM

Originally posted by diskgolfking:
Two things:

First, MediaMan - what happened to scotch?? It seems to be gone!
I Updated the files, but the Scotch ones got renamed Scotland, for some reason. should be fixed now.

Originally posted by nycdunz:

Everything required to make the 'Stamp' icons (including the perf' edge, mask's and 'Apple Postmark') is included in my photoshop file Download Here all the stuff is on different layers.

mdc  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2004, 10:04 AM

sorry about the delay, i have been really busy lately.
fluid, that stamp request is going to take a bit longer than i expected. sorry, i just can not do it right now.
( Last edited by mdc; Jun 18, 2004 at 10:10 AM. )

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2004, 03:01 AM

great icons

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2004, 01:26 AM

Love all the icons, great work! There should be a whole page for mail.app icons.

afphreak01
Forum Regular
Jul 5, 2004, 11:31 AM

dude, you gotta make one with the 1918 24 cent "inverted jenny" airmail stamp

http://www.journalofantiques.com/images15/c4.jpg

this is the biggest one i could find, unless i actually had one ( its only the second most valuable US stamp)
i'm too lazy to come up with a sig

mdc  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2004, 01:42 PM

the inverted jenny was the first mail icon i made, i never released it though.
if it is wanted then i will do some work on it and release it sometime.

flysky
Mar 25, 2006, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by mdc
fg: edit the photoshop file and then open a app.icns file you got and in iconographer file > import > current member, and import the edited photoshop file. in the members on the right you have to click one that is not like the photoshop you just imported then apple+a to select all and delete, and then click the thumbnail member and then add members and add members for all the 32 bit members and from: current member. then save it as a .icns file and copy it into mail. got it? good.
Could you or someone else post instructions for creating a stamp starting with one of the images from the USPS site. I've read through this and other threads on the subject, as well as the IconBuilder tutorial, but I don't know enough about Photoshop or IconBuilder to be able to figure it out. Thanks!

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2006, 09:54 PM

Just bumping this because I was looking for these great icons!

Andrew Sutherland
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2007, 05:26 PM

Hi guys,

You seem to be pretty experienced at making new mail icons, so I thought I would ask this here.

Q: Is there any way to change the "unread mail" icon IN mail.app from that silly little dot, to something better - say an envelope, similar to Outlook?

I'm not talking about the "unread mail" icon on the mail.app icon in the dock, but rather the multiple little "unread" dots IN mail next to each unread message.

thanks in advance

Andrew

Andrew Sutherland
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2007, 05:39 PM

I may have just found a solution: macosxhints.com - 10.4: Change Mail.app's message priority flags

"I wanted to alter the UI elements, since ! for normal mail just didn't make sense, and I'm used to seeing ! denote high-priority mail. The UI elements are all just .tiff files in the Resources folder of Mail.app's package (Control-click on the Mail app and choose Show Package Contents), so making the change isn't that hard."

I cant check now, but I am imagining the unread mail icon dot is the same. Will post later

Forum Links
Forum Rules