Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Adding Bluetooth to Mac Mini

Adding Bluetooth to Mac Mini
marhan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2005, 06:07 PM

If I don't get the Bluetooth adapter pre-installed when I get a Mac Mini, how difficult is it to install myself? Is it something that would be preferrably handled by a service pro?

I've put together PCs in the past and could probably handle it, but I'm concerned about the mini's small size being an issue.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2005, 06:11 PM

I think it's more of an issue to get a hold on that bluetooth module.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2005, 07:31 AM

If you can picture yourself using bluetooth with your mini in the future, save yourself the hassle and potential impossibility of doing it yourself, and get it preinstalled.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2005, 10:08 AM

Couple of problems:

1) The module is not available aftermarket through normal channels. You have to get this as a service part (read: more expensive than it would have been if you just ordered it with your machine from the beginning).

2) The internals of the Mac mini are not user-serviceable. Opening the machine will void your warranty.

My suggestion is to order the machine with both BT and Airport. However, if you don't, the best solution for adding bluetooth is a USB adapter like the D-Link that Apple sells. Its fully supported by Apple's BT software and even uses the same firmware updates as Apple's internal module. My guess is aside from being external, its 100% the same.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2005, 10:40 AM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
2) The internals of the Mac mini are not user-serviceable. Opening the machine will void your warranty.
Very true. I have 1GB of memory sitting around, which I figured I could install in my mini. Looking around for instructions on how to pop the case, I found the default homebrew mini case-cracking tool is a "pair of putty knives".

I'm fairly techno-savvy, and am pretty good with my hands, but there's just no way I'm popping my mac open with some putty knives. I'll pay someone else the $50 and let them worry about scratching the hell out of it.

The instructions also have the dreaded "do this too hard and you'll snap off all the retaining pins" caveat.

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 23, 2005, 12:08 PM

First off, popping the case of the mini will NOT void your warranty. You can install more RAM yourself, but if you break stuff while in there the warranty will not cover that. Which is how every warranty works.

Second, popping the case was scary at first, but actually very easy. It just has catches that run up the left and right sides, so the putty knife slides between the top and bottom and bending it away from the mini pulls them away so the case can be removed. I was a little timid the first shot, but it was actually very simple. Also, the chances of scratching the case are about zilch.

-matt

Forum Links
Forum Rules