Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Amazon's Kindle

Amazon's Kindle (Page 4)
MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2008, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
I can't argue with you on the environmental issue. Still, are Kindles any better for the environment?
I wonder if the manufacturing of the kindle produces more toxic waste then using/recycling paper and then when they get throw away, I suspose the kindle has more toxic parts then paper which is typically recycled these days.

Apemanblues
Mar 6, 2008, 10:48 AM

This is obviously made for complete bellends.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2008, 11:21 AM

bellends?

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2008, 11:23 AM

UK slang, I imagine.

Apemanblues
Mar 6, 2008, 11:26 AM

Google it (but not images)

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2008, 11:28 AM

Those kooky brits, not using proper english and putting padding on poles

design219
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2008, 01:56 PM

I would guess that the environmental advantage would only come with serious use. A Prius would be an environmental failure if it was crashed the first day someone owned it. But that is true of books. I would think that most books are not passed on.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2008, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
I would guess that the environmental advantage would only come with serious use. A Prius would be an environmental failure if it was crashed the first day someone owned it. But that is true of books. I would think that most books are not passed on.
A Prius is an environmental failure, full stop.

I would think that a large number of books are in fact passed on.

finboy
Mar 6, 2008, 04:31 PM

I wonder when someone will for a not-for-profit group to protest how eBooks are going to put the independent used book shops out of business. Maybe we could talk to those anti-WalMart folks and see if they have any tips.

mdc  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2008, 01:34 PM

I finally bought a Kindle last week and am very impressed with it.

I have bought Malcolm Gladwell's The Tipping Point, Stephen Colbert's I am America (And So Can You), and Benjamin Wallace's The Billionaire's Vinegar off Amazon through the EVDO connection.
On average books took about 30 seconds to download and show up on the Kindle's home screen.

I like the device and one of the primary reasons I bought it is because I travel on the subway everyday and I do not enjoy trying to read a real book while standing. I've been listening to podcasts and audiobooks more often now but I just don't enjoy audiobooks, so the Kindle works out really nicely for me.

I have found a few useful links on the Kindle forum which have free and cheap ebooks.

The Amazon selection is large but some authors I enjoy are not available yet. While this is annoying it has also been quite nice since I'm more open to other authors. The Tipping Point and The Billionaire's Vinegar are two such books that I probably wouldn't have bought otherwise, both of which are very interesting.

I have a feeling I'll be reading a lot more in the future. Does anyone have any recommendations to good books they're currently reading?

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2008, 04:01 PM

I want this so bad. When will international support come?!
we don't have time to stop for gas

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
May 26, 2008, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
I finally bought a Kindle last week and am very impressed with it.

I have bought Malcolm Gladwell's The Tipping Point, Stephen Colbert's I am America (And So Can You), and Benjamin Wallace's The Billionaire's Vinegar off Amazon through the EVDO connection.
On average books took about 30 seconds to download and show up on the Kindle's home screen.

I like the device and one of the primary reasons I bought it is because I travel on the subway everyday and I do not enjoy trying to read a real book while standing. I've been listening to podcasts and audiobooks more often now but I just don't enjoy audiobooks, so the Kindle works out really nicely for me.
You may not like most audio books, but I highly recommend the audio book version of Colbert's I am America (And So Can You). It's really not like any other audio book you've ever heard. It's more like a radio show version of it complete with sound effects, guest speakers, &c. And it's read by Colbert himself, so you get, I think, an even better feel for what he's saying.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2008, 03:49 PM

It's not too much of a zombie at this point, hopefully. MDC - have you tried the "experimental" PDF support? I have a number of PDF books that I'd like to be able to carry around and read, many of which have diagrams (I get the impression from the product page that it's possible these won't come through well).

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2008, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
You may not like most audio books, but I highly recommend the audio book version of Colbert's I am America (And So Can You). It's really not like any other audio book you've ever heard. It's more like a radio show version of it complete with sound effects, guest speakers, &c. And it's read by Colbert himself, so you get, I think, an even better feel for what he's saying.
As much as I love Colbert - and I do love Colbert, having watched every single show so far (minus the ones I have queued up) - the audio book didn't grab me as much as I'd hoped. His right-wing satire is great when sprinkled in to an entertaining show, but distilled down to a whole book it just became a bit… too much.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

HenryMelton
Jun 24, 2008, 12:06 AM

When Kindle first came out, I jumped in an converted my first novel, Emperor Dad, into Kindle format and put it out for sale. I really thought the conversion technique to the limited format was kludgy and it put me off of adding any more titles until I got some sign that there was actually a market there. Plus, since the device is out of my budget at the moment, I can't really see what it looks like, other than the web-based previewer. Maybe if some had put out a good desktop conversion tool, I'd do more. Maybe they have. Certainly someone is converting books full time for that format.

Forum Links
Forum Rules