Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Mac-on-Linux. Now Firestarter is killing off my connectivity.

Mac-on-Linux. Now Firestarter is killing off my connectivity.
alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2006, 01:41 AM

Prior to installing Mac-on-Linux on my PowerBook's Ubuntu boot, I was able to get online without issues even with Firestarter running in the background. I'm using my Airport Extreme card (Broadcom chipset hack) which is obviously connected via DHCP.

After installing Mac-on-Linux - which requires ipmasq, dnsmasq, and dhcpd - I've suddenly lost any form of connectivity once I have started up until I launch the Firestarter program. Once that happens I get everything back and can go online.

MOL connects just fine and if I launch MOL, I also get my connectivity back in Ubuntu itself.

So it's something that MOL is using and Firestarter...

I have tried everything that I could possibly think of including adding eth0 and eth1 to my list of interfaces in /etc/default/dhcp. Firestarter doesn't seem to play well with dnsmasq and dhcpd and I'm afraid that if I completely remove Firestarter I may never get back my network connectivity all together.

What do I need to do with Firestarter (I have no clue what to do with iptables) in order to get my machine to connect while starting up once again?

hollowflame
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2006, 08:42 AM

IIRC, Firestarter is just the GUI frontend to iptables.

(This is on my Ubuntu Desktop) There was a checkbox that I checked in the preferences that enabled Firestarter (and hence, the firewall) at startup...

alphasubzero949  (op)
Mac Elite
May 5, 2006, 04:45 AM

I ended up overriding the perms on <strike>iptables</strike> so I can basically access it as root. That solved my connectivity problem. ipmasq (needed for networking in MOL) and iptables don't like each other very much.

Edit: I take that back. ipmasq was the culprit and it was the one to have its perms overriden, not iptables.
( Last edited by alphasubzero949; May 26, 2006 at 08:32 AM. )

alphasubzero949  (op)
Mac Elite
May 29, 2006, 11:52 PM

Thought I'd chime in with an update. I recently clean installed Dapper (release candidate) and installed MOL again. The issue wasn't really with iptables but with ipmasq itself. Overriding the perms for ipmasq took care of the connectivity issues. Alternatively, I could prevent ipmasq from starting up until needed by MOL.

Forum Links
Forum Rules