Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New MBP C2D arrivals please post here

New MBP C2D arrivals please post here
buddy1065
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 2006, 11:26 AM

I just called a local Apple store and a young lady answered. I asked when they will get the C2D's in and she said maybe toward the end of this week. THEN she changed it and told me to call back after 2PM today, adding that "Maybe they will be in...They are on their way"

So we may have some new arrivals in the U.S. sooner than some may think. I thought about customizing a basic MBP with a 160 Gig HD over the net but if they will be in this week maybe a 120 GIG is not such a bad idea...

Anyway I would appreciate those who receive a C2D to post here and comment on the heat, whine, moo, etc. if any, and how you feel about your new purchase in general. Guess I'll be one of the first C2D guinnea pigs also...

Thanks!

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2006, 11:44 AM

This would also be a good thread to put benchmarks if you have comparisons to the RevA MBPs.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

phazedowt
Oct 25, 2006, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by buddy1065 View Post
I just called a local Apple store and a young lady answered. I asked when they will get the C2D's in and she said maybe toward the end of this week. THEN she changed it and told me to call back after 2PM today, adding that "Maybe they will be in...They are on their way"

So we may have some new arrivals in the U.S. sooner than some may think. I thought about customizing a basic MBP with a 160 Gig HD over the net but if they will be in this week maybe a 120 GIG is not such a bad idea...

Anyway I would appreciate those who receive a C2D to post here and comment on the heat, whine, moo, etc. if any, and how you feel about your new purchase in general. Guess I'll be one of the first C2D guinnea pigs also...

Thanks!
which Apple store?
15" MBP, 2.33 GHz C2D, 120GB HD, 2 GB RAM, OS X 10.4. 4GB iPod Nano.

buddy1065  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 2006, 12:53 PM

Aventura Mall in Florida. But I'm not doubting the same shipments are "On their way" to many other stores right now across the U.S. All I say is keep in touch with your local store.

What would be some good benchmarking software if we are going to start this?

Link?

I know the "old" (sorry!) MBP is reported to get around 2866 marks on the 3DMark05 (256 MB GPU)

Apple MacBook Pro Review

And in another review the 128 MB ATI got 2586 marks, just to help those decide between the two GPU's.

Apple MacBook Pro Review

Futuremark - Download - 3DMark05

It would be interesting to find out whether the new C2D models still have underclocked GPU's. Not likely things have changed but who knows.
( Last edited by buddy1065; Oct 25, 2006 at 02:15 PM. )

theyoda3
Oct 26, 2006, 12:54 AM

got your C2D MBP? please tell us.... - Mac Forums

mbp c2d

The first link is to a discussion on a user with the new 2.33 Ghz C2D MBP, the second link is a picture gallery. It appears that the wireless card is a draft N card and the hard drive is not user replaceable. No case changes were made besides the FW 800. There appears to be no mooing, whining, or other problems yet. Also the graphics card does not appear to be as severely underclocked. There are more details in the link.

I can't wait to get mine!

-Chris

volcano
Senior User
Oct 26, 2006, 04:48 AM

I ordered mine earlier today, but if my local Apple store receives them in by the end of the week I might snag one and cancel my online order. Eek!

DevNine
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2006, 05:21 AM

Talked to Apple 5th avenue. They don't have them in stock.
http://winlab.csbnet.se Visit the Mac Demo Scene.

buddy1065  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2006, 07:57 AM

The GPU underclocking score seems MUCH improved, at least in the higher end 15"; great news; I hardly expected such a thing. The 3DMark05 results should be very interesting. Also the user reports no whine, moo. I imagine many more will be receiving C2D's today from local stores. I would not be surprised to see a few in stock at CompUSA either, though I know they can take forever to get new stock in.

Can anyone enlighten me on the benefits of draft N? Kinda lost there.
( Last edited by buddy1065; Oct 26, 2006 at 08:03 AM. )

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2006, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by buddy1065 View Post
I know the "old" (sorry!) MBP is reported to get around 2866 marks on the 3DMark05 (256 MB GPU)
Hey, watch it!! That's "previous model" friend.

In fact, that's a good way to refer to old people as well. . . .

theyoda3
Oct 26, 2006, 10:25 AM

I could be wrong, but the draft n wireless would have no benefits unless it meets the final specifications of the official n wireless standards.

Toyin
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2006, 11:47 AM

My order (2.33ghz 15" w 160gb HD) shipped today, so I can imagine that the Apple stores will have them by the weekend, latest early next week.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2006, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Toyin View Post
My order (2.33ghz 15" w 160gb HD) shipped today, so I can imagine that the Apple stores will have them by the weekend, latest early next week.
When did you order yours? I ordered the same configuration Tuesday 9:30AM EST and no shipment notification yet.

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2006, 01:22 PM

Something interesting about the 4x single-layer MBP DVD burner vs. the 6x dual-layer MBP C2D DVD burner:

The model numbers are the same, with a "d" appentage: UJ-857 vs UJ-857D. You'd think that going up a speed level, and to dual-layer, would warrant a number upgrade or something. This makes me think that maybe the hardware is the same at the low level, and it might perhaps be only a firmware upgrade.

That's happened quite a lot in the PC world with after-market DVD/CD burners -- the models are given a bump when really it's only new firmware that adds a few features.

Blublub
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2006, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by justinkim View Post
When did you order yours? I ordered the same configuration Tuesday 9:30AM EST and no shipment notification yet.
Hmm, same config here at 9:20 AM ET and also not shipped. EDIT: although I did opt for the glossy screen, maybe that's why?
( Last edited by Blublub; Oct 26, 2006 at 02:10 PM. )

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2006, 02:50 PM

Matte screen for me and still waiting on a shipment notification.

theyoda3
Oct 26, 2006, 03:31 PM

I ordered the matte 2.33 stock and I still have no notification of shipment. I ordered as soon as the store was back up.

buddy1065  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2006, 04:28 PM

I'm taking off from work tomorrow. Gotta clean up my bike as someone is comming to possibly buy it Saturday.

TRIUMPH BIKE FOR SALE

That should help pay off this new MBP. If they arrive at the local Apple store tomorrow that's all the better. Gonna be a loooong weekend to enjoy if that happens!

jfobart
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2006, 04:46 PM

I just got a call that Northpoint Mall (Atlanta, GA) store has a few.... going to pick one up soon.
A couple MacPro's, a MacBook Pro, a PC, and an iPod.

tekmoe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2006, 05:19 PM

the link up above with the mbp c2d pictures is mine.

this laptop is freaking awesome! i picked it up last night at the apple store and it was the last one they had. they only got 5 of them in, all of which were the 2.16 stock configs with matte screens. i am so in love with this thing. it's a real screamer. i just sold my previous powerbook which was a 17" 1.67ghz g4 with the high-res screen. this new mbp totally blows that poor powerbook out of the water! simply amazing.

Toyin
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2006, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by justinkim View Post
Order Date: Oct 24, 2006 at 06:50 AM PDT.

2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM-2x1GB
160GB Serial ATA Drive@5400rpm
SuperDrive 6X
15" Glossy Widescreen Display
BkLit Keyboard/Mac OS
Country Kit

20 minutes after you. I ordered the glossy screen. I love my wifes Macbook screen especially compared to my Powerbooks.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2006, 06:28 PM

hmmm...
i'm ready to order a mbp, but...wrestling with the screen choice.

i do mostly music work, but some graphics & webdesign (for my own projects).
so the matte screen seems more 'practical', but...

had a friend here with her macbook today.
side-by-side with my 12" powerbook (a mediocre screen next to even the 15" alubook),
looked SO MUCH brighter, sharper, deeper.

reflected the window outside (sunny day), but a slight tilt of the screen fixed that.

so...an aesthetic choice.
and, for me, two choices is harder than three, or four... *sigh*

yes, i know there are threads about this.
just ranting...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

yfzcentral
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2006, 06:44 PM

Nothing on mine either.. This is my first mac and I'm REALLY excited!

Order Date: Oct 24, 2006 at 12:16 PM PDT
Base 15''

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2006, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by tekmoe View Post
the link up above with the mbp c2d pictures is mine.

this laptop is freaking awesome! i picked it up last night at the apple store and it was the last one they had. they only got 5 of them in, all of which were the 2.16 stock configs with matte screens. i am so in love with this thing. it's a real screamer. i just sold my previous powerbook which was a 17" 1.67ghz g4 with the high-res screen. this new mbp totally blows that poor powerbook out of the water! simply amazing.
If you dont mind me asking, how much were you able to sell your g4 for? i have a 15" 1.67gz pb with 100GB hd 2gb of ram im trying to get off my hands for the new mbp c2d myself.

workerbee
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2006, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by cbrfanatic View Post
If you dont mind me asking, how much were you able to sell your g4 for? i have a 15" 1.67gz pb with 100GB hd 2gb of ram im trying to get off my hands for the new mbp c2d myself.
Interested to know here too -- same situation...
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2006, 01:48 AM

Just got a shipping notice. No activity on it yet beyond a "Package data transmitted to FedEx".

Maybe by Monday if I'm lucky.

theyoda3
Oct 27, 2006, 02:48 AM

Woo! Mine shipped also. Expected delivery by November 1st. I paid for 2-day shipping so I hope it comes on the 31st. That would be so awesome. I'll be sure to post what I think about the laptop.

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2006, 02:53 AM

MBP 2.33, 160GB HD

Ordered: late 26th Oct
Delivered on or Before: 09th Nov
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

jtice
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2006, 03:02 AM

Just got the shipping notice. Should be here Monday or Tuesday. It's replacing a 933GHz G4 iBook. Should be a bit faster––wonder if I'll notice a difference?
Now that everyone knows it's just a matter of waiting for 1.20.09.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2006, 04:32 AM

Ordered mine on 10/25.
2.33 GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, glossy (was converted from matte to glossy by my black MB)

Should ship by 10/31, should arrive no later than 11/6.

Of course I'm hoping it will ship today and arrive next week.
•

yfzcentral
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2006, 12:28 PM

Lady in customer care said it should ship out today.. *Crosses fingers*

smw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2006, 12:53 PM

Ordered mine on 25th October, shipping notification received today.

Estimated delivery time is still the 8th November. Hopefully it will arrive in Glasgow, UK earlier than this.

I ordered a 15" 2.33Ghz / 160Gb.

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2006, 01:50 PM

I now see a delivery estimate of Nov 1. Hopefully it won't get caught up in customs (happened once with a rev. A TiBook) and I'll have it early next week.

typ993
Oct 27, 2006, 03:43 PM

Mine shipped today from Shanghai

2.16 15" stock model

Javizun
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2006, 04:02 PM

Thanks for the info i will check the aventura mall today then-i been so busy lately
no time to check teh apple store.

thanks for thr info dude-

DevNine
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2006, 05:20 PM

None in th3e AppleStore 5th Avenue again today Friday.
http://winlab.csbnet.se Visit the Mac Demo Scene.

keekahn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2006, 09:57 PM

Just purchased the new 15" matte, 2.33 at the Michigan Ave. store in Chicago (Friday night at 8pm). Strangely most of the staff didn't know if they had them but when I stated that I wanted to buy one they started digging in back and brought one up. Supposedly they got a shipment of all the new models 30-hours ago.

MarkJ61
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2006, 11:07 PM

Saw (and used) the new C2D on the floor at Chicago Mich Ave on Friday nite also.

I was told all config were in stock, altho onto 2.33GHz 15" was only one on floor.

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2006, 11:09 PM

is heat still an issue!!!
Computers:
Macbook Pro: 17in, 2.16Ghz, 120GB HD, 1.5 GB ram.
iBook G4: 1.07Ghz, 60GB HD, 756mb ram (on sale for parts)

BadApple
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2006, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by DevNine View Post
None in th3e AppleStore 5th Avenue again today Friday.
I am surprised the big store like the ones in Manhattan does not have the stock on new C2D MBPs. It seems only 15" MBPs are avaialble in the retail channel. Have you seen a 17" C2D MBP model at the Apple retail stores?

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2006, 08:28 AM

Mine's made it to Newark, NJ so I think the signs are good for a Monday delivery.

phazedowt
Oct 28, 2006, 10:50 AM

Picked mine up last night: stock 2.33 15". All I can say is, I had no idea my powerbook was actually made of molasses

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2006, 12:13 PM

The comments I am looking for regard the 17" model: First the relative sustained transfer rates for large digital files comparing the 7200 rpm drive vs. the 5400 rpm 160 GB drive. Second the comparison of 15" vs. 17" on heavy UB graphics apps like Aperture. Any such comments on relative performance, even anecdotal, are greatly appreciated!

Since it looks like the 17" will be a while (17" shows 7-10 day ship dates, and the Reno, NV Apple Store expressed the same expectation), I ordered a refurb MBP for use until the relative performance issues are resolved. Refurb prices just fell, and I can give the CD MBP to my Dad in a month or so to replace both his Wall Street PB and early G5 iMac.

-Allen Wicks

BadApple
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2006, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by phazedowt View Post
Picked mine up last night: stock 2.33 15". All I can say is, I had no idea my powerbook was actually made of molasses
So, you like your MBP? Is it that noticeable in terms of speed between PB and MBP?

MacGobblin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2006, 12:57 PM

Just got mine about 20 minutes ago in the APPLE STORE VENTURA, Florida. They said they had one more 2.33 Ghz left after I purchased my 2.33 Ghz. I am actually in the food court of a mall downloading Bootcamp, since they have wi-fi free here. I am actually the origional poster of this thread but logged n under a different name on the new laptop. No dead pixels as far as I can see. It really looks perfect though I only just received it. Configuring this thing in the mall was such a breeze; it located the wi-fi while I was getting set up for the first time. I thought about the base model but said what the hey, might as well go for it all the way. They don't have glossy screens yet but this will do. I am probably going to take a hit on battery life for not configuring it properly but it's not a big priority. I'll do it after the boot camp download when I get home. I usually plug mine in where ever I go anyway when I can. Well, they probably have more base models at Aventura but they admit it's a limited supply, so call first if interested.

See Ya!

yfzcentral
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2006, 01:27 PM

Mine just shipped today (28th) from China.

Says ETA of Nov. 1st...Hopefully sooner!

wingdo
Senior User
Oct 28, 2006, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by yfzcentral View Post
Mine just shipped today (28th) from China.

Says ETA of Nov. 1st...Hopefully sooner!
Mine left China on the 27th, and was at FedEx's depot in Indianapolis this morning and has already left Indy. They still show the 1st of november as the delivery date. It's a 3 hour drive from Indy to Chicago, so I suspect I may have it before the 1st.
MBP - 2.33GHz C2D, 3GB RAM, 256MB VRAM, 160GB HD
PB - 1.5GHz G4, 2GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 80GB HD
PM - Dual 1GHzG4, 1.5GB RAM, NVidia GForce 3, 2x 80 GB HD

ccrider
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2006, 01:56 PM

apple store soho has 10 or so 15 inchers 2.33. Last one there's a rotten egghead!

BigBadBiologist
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 2006, 02:12 PM

Called Mac store in Christiana, DE. Said they have some, but they were all accounted for. Said to call back in a day or two.
I love lamp! I love lamp...

BadApple
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2006, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by ccrider View Post
apple store soho has 10 or so 15 inchers 2.33. Last one there's a rotten egghead!
So, still no 17" C2D MBP at the Apple Store? I wonder what it is taking so long to go though the supply chain channel.

tuamigo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2006, 03:05 PM

I called three apples stores here in san fran area, they all had the 15" in stock. I almost bought one, but i am going to wait till they get the glossy screens in.

Forum Links
Forum Rules