Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > THE ultimate burger thread

THE ultimate burger thread
Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2002, 04:52 AM

OK, I admit I'm absolutely addicted to burgers. I need like two of them a day to work and a day without a burger seriously makes me go bananas.

At home I've tried myself at various types of burgers and once in a while I even think about opening a burger joint, but that's more like wet dreamig. Up to now, stopping at BurgerKing is more like it.

At the moment I'm in Japan. There is no freaking BurgerKing here! Only McD. WTH is there no BK? This is making me go freakin apeshit!

Is there any human being on this planet that prefers a BigMac over a Double-Whopper with Bacon and Cheese? WTF is McD in each friggin country on the planet and everybody eates there gross crap even though it sucks so bad. Take a look at their ads. Nice burgers, the cheese dripping a bit off the corner, the BigMac is as high as wide, etc. Then you get the POS. It's small, almost cold, the cheese is only half in the burger and the rest of it is sticking to the box, the salad looks like the thing the zoo gives to the monkeys and they put onions in there that were hacked by a lawn-mower or so. In the end you eat it and wonder how they managed to screw you so badly.

You remember "Falling Down" with Michael Douglas in this burger joint cracking because of this? Eventually he got killed, but he should have recieved the Congressional Medal of freakin honor for kicking some serious butt in that burger place. They plain lie to your face when they show these nice big adds and nobody says a goddamn thing. How come McD is like ten times larger a business than BK? I mean Wendy's really sucks big time but what about all the other burger joints.

In the SF bay area there used to be a joint called Oscar's Burger. Now that was one hell of a fine burger, but I don't know if they're still around.

Am I the only guy who has the feeling McD is screwing us like MS? It's amazing that in a country like the US where people take each other to court because of chickenshit, McD is still alive and not gone down the drain in some huge case, getting convicted for giving the public major league style crap and advertising it as if it were some french gourmet **** .

BTW what's Denny's like? Any good burgers there? Never been to one. To the East Coasters: Is Roy Rogers still in business?

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2002, 05:05 AM

Originally posted by Simon C. Leemann:
<STRONG>To the East Coasters: Is Roy Rogers still in business?</STRONG>
Yep but the price is raising now. Must be a sign that it'll go out of business soon.

Burger King have the best burger. McD sucks big time!

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2002, 05:23 AM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
<STRONG>Burger King have the best burger. McD sucks big time!</STRONG>
Right on man.

Anybody here willing to get into a fight on this?

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2002, 05:29 AM

Forget it, they all wouldn't beat Dotty's Dumpling Dowry...may it R.I.P.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2002, 06:04 AM

When I grew up in Perth we had Hungry Jacks (which was Burger King under another name due to trademark problems here) but we never had McDonalds until about 1984.

Come that fateful opening day we all lined up for the legendary "Big Mac", which it turns out is rather small beige blob made (apparently) from refined cardboard. Needless to say we all thought McDonalds was a joke and never went back.

Did you know that in the US your fries (from these places) are done in vegetable oil, while in Oz we still get them fried in the original recipe beef tallow? Ugh! Ugh! . Our fries taste better and will kill you faster!

Also, here in Oz Burger King has an "Aussie Burger" that has meat, bacon, egg, salad and beetroot (beets?). Aussies have got a thing about beetroot in their burgers. What is your localized menu option? I hear Italy gets McPasta or something.

A fair percent of US burgers contain lean Aussie beef. Expect trade tariffs soon because we can do it better. Na-na.

IMHO the best place to get a burger in Oz is in a Greek Delicatessen. The older the fittings in the shop the better the burger. I look for 50's, David Lynch style joints.

My son has never had McDonalds but tunes into their adverts like Pavlov's dog. Very strange. Is McDonalds a cult?

M�lum
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2002, 06:19 AM

<STRONG>OK, I admit I'm absolutely addicted to burgers. I need like two of them a day to work and a day without a burger seriously makes me go bananas.
it.

At the moment I'm in Japan. There is no freaking BurgerKing here! Only McD. WTH is there no BK? This is making me go freakin apeshit!
</STRONG>
Try MOS burgers while you're in Japan. I'm not a great burger fan, but do eat them once in a while and when I'm in Japan, although I love japanese food, I need something simple and plain, like a burger, once in a while.

I tried out Mos burger, and they are actually the best (fast food best) burgers I ever tasted.

Try them and post your opinion about them here.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2002, 06:27 AM

<STRONG>OK, I admit I'm absolutely addicted to burgers. I need like two of them a day to work and a day without a burger seriously makes me go bananas.

At home I've tried myself at various types of burgers and once in a while I even think about opening a burger joint, but that's more like wet dreamig. Up to now, stopping at BurgerKing is more like it.

Is there any human being on this planet that prefers a BigMac over a Double-Whopper with Bacon and Cheese? WTF is McD in each friggin country on the planet and everybody eates there gross crap even though it sucks so bad. Take a look at their ads. Nice burgers, the cheese dripping a bit off the corner, the BigMac is as high as wide, etc. Then you get the POS. It's small, almost cold, the cheese is only half in the burger and the rest of it is sticking to the box, the salad looks like the thing the zoo gives to the monkeys and they put onions in there that were hacked by a lawn-mower or so. In the end you eat it and wonder how they managed to screw you so badly.

You remember "Falling Down" with Michael Douglas in this burger joint cracking because of this? Eventually he got killed, but he should have recieved the Congressional Medal of freakin honor for kicking some serious butt in that burger place. They plain lie to your face when they show these nice big adds and nobody says a goddamn thing. How come McD is like ten times larger a business than BK? I mean Wendy's really sucks big time but what about all the other burger joints.

In the SF bay area there used to be a joint called Oscar's Burger. Now that was one hell of a fine burger, but I don't know if they're still around.

Am I the only guy who has the feeling McD is screwing us like MS? It's amazing that in a country like the US where people take each other to court because of chickenshit, McD is still alive and not gone down the drain in some huge case, getting convicted for giving the public major league style crap and advertising it as if it were some french gourmet **** .

BTW what's Denny's like? Any good burgers there? Never been to one. To the East Coasters: Is Roy Rogers still in business?</STRONG>
Out here burger king takes their burgers outta the freezer and sticks them into microwaves above the counters. This is why I always order a special one. Then, we have the fact they're WAAAY too dry, and always the fries are very crispy (ok sometimes)..

McD's #4 cheese and ketchup only.. now there's my fav

It's 2 levels of meat, 2 pieces of cheese, and nice and soft and gooey.

Why can't BK make soft burgers damnit?! And all the ones out here are filthier than homeless shelters.

In SF the problem's just as bad lol. Ever go to the McD on market street??!!?!?!?!?! (one behind that trolley car turnaround) [I know there's a bunch]

On the other hand, half the time when I am in SF I stop at the one on front street, it's always quieter and cleaner than the rest. Burger kings are very hard to find, as if I wanted BK

Now there's also funky eating places you forgot. Them dinky little pizza joints and Escape from NY pizza. lol.

I always eat junk food.

BTW: ON a side note, look for a place called Bud's Burgers.. they're good as long as they don't put mozzerella cheese (yes it's a typo!!!) on your burger!!!!

I guess I don't know my burgers. lol.

Aw F*ck it who cares, when I go out I go to the restaruant, sit down, eat, and leave, whether it be BK, MCD, BB, or even the rotted old joint down the street, if it's good I'll eat it (as long as I don't see flies going into the damned coke machine!)
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

lurkalot
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 20, 2002, 07:29 AM

Originally posted by M�lum:
<STRONG>

Try MOS burgers while you're in Japan. I'm not a great burger fan, but do eat them once in a while and when I'm in Japan, although I love japanese food, I need something simple and plain, like a burger, once in a while.

I tried out Mos burger, and they are actually the best (fast food best) burgers I ever tasted.

Try them and post your opinion about them here.</STRONG>
Can't beat their philosophy.
Japan saq

I like the taste of the MOS Teriyaki burger.

iNub
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 20, 2002, 07:49 AM

I hate burgers for the most part. But our (Burger King) burgers are halfway decent as long as they're relatively fresh. And if you think they're just frozen and nuked, you're way off. I wish it were that easy. We've got this big-ass monster of a broiler that you have to set the burgers on a chain thing. When they get out (buns on bottom, burgers on top) you put the basic sammich in the steamer. There's a hold time of 10 minutes on that. If you get a dry burger, it's because the burger was held for more than 10 minutes, the bread soaked up all the slop from the meat, and you can request a new one. Company policy. Ask them about the "cook out" procedure, they'll give you the evil eye. (We hate people that know the rules.)

Oh yeah. Try the chicken Whopper. It's the sheeit. And I don't even really like the food we make. If you get that veggie burger, beware. It gives you gas.

Anyways. I think the best burger in the world belongs to me. Because I make it how I want it.

&lt;/ramble&gt;

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2002, 07:50 AM

Originally posted by Face Ache:
<STRONG>Did you know that in the US your fries (from these places) are done in vegetable oil, while in Oz we still get them fried in the original recipe beef tallow? Ugh! Ugh! Our fries taste better and will kill you faster!</STRONG>
What astupid idea to use vegetable oil. Just becausa e of the vegetarians? Sheesh. They don't belong in a friggin burger joint anyway. In Switzerland McD introduced the "Vegi Mac" a couple of years ago. The burger had no beef but some kind of processed vegetable with lots of peas all munched together. I wondered wtf that was for, but they still sell it so I suppose somebody's eating it. I think I'd die earlier of the heart attack biting in that POS gives me than from the fat of a real burger. Anyay, at 200 pounds, who cares about fat anyhow.

[quoote]<STRONG>Also, here in Oz Burger King has an "Aussie Burger" that has meat, bacon, egg, salad and beetroot (beets?). Aussies have got a thing about beetroot in their burgers.[/quote]</STRONG>

Egg? Egg as in the white thing that comes out of a chicken? In a burger??? You guys must be nuts. How do you put that egg in there? Scrambled? Fried? Yikes.

<STRONG>What is your localized menu option? I hear Italy gets McPasta or something.</STRONG>
They have the MacItaly with a slice of big fat tomato and Salami. Doesn't really taste that great. In Switzerland they once had a MacVacherin with Vacherin cheese in it. Must have been the first time McD has ever used real cheese in their burgers. Has their cheese ever seen a cow from the inside? O is it just 100% pure synthetic PET? It at least tastes like that. In Japan they have the Teriyaki Mac which is a normal burger with mayo but they also put teriyaki sauce in it. Doesn't taste that bad, but it drips out everywhere which made me ruin my pants this lunch.

<STRONG>A fair percent of US burgers contain lean Aussie beef. Expect trade tariffs soon because we can do it better. Na-na.
</STRONG>
It wouldn't surprise me if the Japanese owned you in terms of beaf. They have cattle here that gets a beer massage everyday from the farmer so that the meat gets tender. OK, it costs probably like ten times more than your beef but it really tastes great.

<STRONG>My son has never had McDonalds but tunes into their adverts like Pavlov's dog. Very strange. Is McDonalds a cult?</STRONG>
Yeah, one of bad taste and no friggin idea what a burger should be like. I think it's just their whole PR machinery making people believe that their inferior product is the best. Somehow people buy it from them. No wonder why. Kinda reminds me of MS. Talk about reality distortion...

[ 04-20-2002: Message edited by: Simon C. Leemann ]

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2002, 08:07 AM

Originally posted by M�lum:
<STRONG>Try MOS burgers while you're in Japan. I'm not a great burger fan, but do eat them once in a while and when I'm in Japan, although I love japanese food, I need something simple and plain, like a burger, once in a while.
Try them and post your opinion about them here.</STRONG>
Talking about Japanese food. It's great. I love it. The only thing giving me a headache is breakfast. How about cold rice, raw fish and a raw egg all munched together at 5:30am? That is pretty strange. But nevertheless once a day it's burger time.

I went to MOS a couple of times when I was in Tokyo. Their burgers are very good. The only problem is that everything is written in Japanese and people have trouble understanding yes from no in English. I just went there, pointed to some burger and tried it. Tasted really good.

Now I'm in the boondocks of Japan an there's noting but a friggin McD. Not even a MOS. And the burgers they sell at 7eleven make me want to puke. What I find pretty funny at McD is that they sell pancakes the whole day, not just for breakfast. The Japanese eat them (they call em "hotokeki") more like a desert than as a breakfast.

But still, no damn BK in a 50 mile radius. I think I'm gonna die here.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2002, 08:25 AM

Originally posted by Mac Zealot:
<STRONG>McD's #4 cheese and ketchup only.. now there's my fav
It's 2 levels of meat, 2 pieces of cheese, and nice and soft and gooey.
Why can't BK make soft burgers damnit?!
</STRONG>

Soft burgers? You crazy? I want crunchy lettuce in there, meat that tastes and feels like it once was an animal and not a sofa and damnit I hate it when the bread sticks to my palatal like freakin peanut butter. No way man, I hate lumpy burgers. I guess that's also why I don't like McD.

<STRONG>
Now there's also funky eating places you forgot. Them dinky little pizza joints and Escape from NY pizza. lol.
</STRONG>

Yeah, in SF there used to be a place called Pizzeria Uno. They made Chicago style pan pizza. That rocked. But I have no idea if the place is still there.

<STRONG>I always eat junk food.
</STRONG>

Heck yeah! Burgers are like the fundamentals of a good nutrition. No burger, no fun. Damn those health freaks making me want to eat a salad for lunch. If I die with 60 at least I had 365*60 burgers and was happy. They eat like carrots and salad like friggin bunnies there whole life and get hit by a car. Guess who had more fun? BTW On the website of the State of Texas I looked at the last ordered meals of death row inmates. Sure saw a lot of burgers on that list.

<STRONG>Aw F*ck it who cares, when I go out I go to the restaruant, sit down, eat, and leave, whether it be BK, MCD, BB, or even the rotted old joint down the street, if it's good I'll eat it (as long as I don't see flies going into the damned coke machine!)</STRONG>
I don't care if joint's a real dump or filled with punks or whatever as long as the burger tastes good and it doesn't make the impression of having been under the counter for a decade. But what I can't stand is small, tasteless or maybe even vegetarian burgers from McD. Each time I digest one of those tiny lumps I feel like having let them screw me.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2002, 08:43 AM

Originally posted by iNub:
<STRONG>I hate burgers for the most part. But our (Burger King) burgers are halfway decent as long as they're relatively fresh. And if you think they're just frozen and nuked, you're way off. I wish it were that easy. We've got this big-ass monster of a broiler that you have to set the burgers on a chain thing. When they get out (buns on bottom, burgers on top) you put the basic sammich in the steamer. There's a hold time of 10 minutes on that. If you get a dry burger, it's because the burger was held for more than 10 minutes, the bread soaked up all the slop from the meat, and you can request a new one. Company policy. Ask them about the "cook out" procedure, they'll give you the evil eye. (We hate people that know the rules.)

Oh yeah. Try the chicken Whopper. It's the sheeit. And I don't even really like the food we make. If you get that veggie burger, beware. It gives you gas.
</STRONG>

Man, you work in a BK and you don't like burgers? Damn. Then that job must suck big time. I'd trade off jobs with you anytime, but I guess BK doesn't pay like 60 grand a year.

<STRONG>Anyways. I think the best burger in the world belongs to me. Because I make it how I want it.</STRONG>
Right on man. But tell that to my girlfriend. She sees me making burgers at home and then she starts bitching about health and good nutrition and stuff. You see, BK is like my refugee camp.

Anyway, how do you guys make your own burgers at home? What do like in there?

Me, I take this pretty seriously. Buy good meat and fresh lettuce, good onions and french mayo made from real eggs and not some cheap synthetic US crap as well as french mustard, type Dijon. I get the cheese mostly from Switzerland, Appenzeller or Gruyere type because it melts nicely and tastes like cheese instead of cardboard. I heat up the grill on the porch, put the patties on it, let both sides get that nice dark color, put cheese on the meat, close the lid, reduce the heat, just so the cheese can melt. I fry some bacon, but the fatty kind, so that it doesn't get dry. Put it on the burgers. I buy buns with sesame on em, I hate plane buns, they taste like something people used to make matresses out of. I toast the buns in the oven, so that they get that nice golden color on the inside and get a tad harder on the outside. Not too much however, burgers in stone-hard and burned bread smell like crap. I put some mustard and ketchup on the lower bun, put the meat on it. The top bun gets some mayo, lettuce and onion rings, then maybe some more mayo to keep it all together. Then comes the hard part, flipping one half on the other without spilling everything but it usually works. If I'm really hungry I'll take two meat patties , two slices of cheese and double the bacon - jeeze, that makes one hell of a fat burger (goes hardly in my mouth btw) but its tastes great.

What about you? How are your burgers?

Andrew 8808
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 20, 2002, 11:03 AM

I like Burger King, but I usually end up getting the chicken sandwich thing. I haven't tried the chicken whopper yet, I'll have to try it. For some reason, I love Wendy's. Dunno why. I usually get a junior bacon cheeseburger. It almost always tastes fresh. The lettuce, the tomato. Mmmm. There are the few times where it's not though. I think the Burger King here, most of the burgers are dry, at least in my experience.

theUpsetter
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 20, 2002, 11:35 AM

</STRONG>
If and when you make it back to San Francisco, just dump the Burger King and go to In-N-Out, the home of the absolute best burgers on the planet. Like for us who live in the bay area (I reside in SF now, despite my profile) they finally opened on Embarcadero and another in the north part of Daily City.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2002, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by theUpsetter:
<STRONG>

If and when you make it back to San Francisco, just dump the Burger King and go to In-N-Out, the home of the absolute best burgers on the planet. Like for us who live in the bay area (I reside in SF now, despite my profile) they finally opened on Embarcadero and another in the north part of Daily City.</STRONG>
Yep, In-N-Out burgers are great. If you ever happen to be in the midwest, I'd highly recommend Ron's Hamburgers. Each burger is cooked in butter for the fattiest, juiciest taste you can get. Mmmmm.... &lt;drool&gt;

hayesk
Apr 20, 2002, 12:26 PM

_edit_
( Last edited by hayesk; Dec 3, 2016 at 06:36 PM. )

Ruddigger
Senior User
Apr 20, 2002, 12:31 PM

Yes, there's a Mcdonald's in almost every country. Even Saudi Arabia.

And Burger king sucks. Carl's Jr Western Bacon Cheeseburger all the way.
Proud owner of the Original Macintruck

lurkalot
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 20, 2002, 12:40 PM

I couldn't understand why you couldn't find a Burger King in Tokyo because I remember that they were there before. Unfortunately the search is over you simply arrived too late. Burger King Japan stopped operating restaurants in 2001.

You may want to sit down before you read this link.

milhous
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2002, 12:40 PM

In no particular, I think all of the fast food places are pretty good (Mickey D's, BK, Wendys). However one thing I don't like about Wendys is their fries. They are the most mundane fries out there and they are not even salted before they are served.

May I recommend a place called Johnny Rockets? These are probably some of the best burgers I've ever had in my life--very tender and juicy. It has a 50's like atmosphere and is a franchise, so you should be able to find one in your neck of the woods hopefully.
F = ma

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 20, 2002, 12:44 PM

I just finished reading Fast Food Nation. I highly recommend reading it. I'm also never eating a restaurant burger again, ever: "There's **** in the meat."

Yes, McDonalds is screwing the whole planet. See above.

Here in the U.S., McDonald's french fries aren't fried in beef tallow any more, but they are still not vegetarian: they contain "natural flavor" made from beef.

Simon, Kobe beef cows don't get beer massages. They get beer and massages... they drink the beer and have a daily masseuse come, turning the meat into the most luciously marbled beef ever. It's also well over $100/lb.

Denny's isn't fast food, it's like IHOP.

Yes, they still have Roy Rogers over here in the east.

tooki

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2002, 12:52 PM

Papa Gino's, a New England centric pizza chain, makes a burger called the Papa Burger which is really good. Lettuce, cheese and thousand island dressing. YUM!
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2002, 01:31 PM

Pizzeria Uno's is a big chain. The running joke we had in Boston was that you couldn't go anywhere without hitting one. I saw one in Chicago and right down the street was a Pizzeria Duo. I think there's a story there...

Burgers? In order of preference from the chains: Harvey's (Canada only!) Wendy's, A&W, BK. I don't eat McD's burgers, ever since I was young. Harvey's used to be the absolute best, but they've changed their fries like everyone else, so their fries suck now. What's the deal with this light and crumchy crispy crap??! They used to be just big ol' hunks of potato!

Anyway, Harvey's burgers are grilled, right there on the open flame in front of your eyes. No steam autoclave, no flat grease-laden sheet metal, an honest to goodness black-charred grill with flames leaping up from the bottom. Oh yeah! Fire makes it good!

The best restaurant burger was Lime Rickey's mexican (or some such name) burger: Jalapenos, Jack cheese, salsa. Oooh baby... But they started to suck and are now out of business.

These days, I usually get my burgers at the pub, Jalepenos, cheddar and bacon, please, gravy on them fries if you got it. Mmmm.... Duke Burger...
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

Cipher13
Apr 20, 2002, 01:43 PM

The best burgers (mass produced; not counting the 'corner shop' burgers that always rock):

Burger King double cheeseburger.
Burger King Southern Style Chicken Burger.
Subway - white bread, cheese, lettuce, capsicum, with chicken fillets and caesar sauce.

Oh, and theres this place on Darling Harbour in Pyrmont with the nicest chicken schnitzel burgers... they're huge!

MikeM32
Banned
Location: &quot;Joisey&quot; Home of the &quot;Guido&quot; and chicks with &quot;Big Hair&quot;
Apr 20, 2002, 02:33 PM

I mean Wendy's really sucks big time but what about all the other burger joints.
Screw that, Wendy's is the best, plus they have a much wider variety of non-burger items. I'll take a Wendy's double with cheese over a Whopper any day of the week and twice on tuesdays.

Before Wendy's came along I used to love Burger King, but I got sick of them. They put too much lettuce tomato onion pickle and assorted vegetables on thier Whopper that by the time it's done it's like eating a salad sandwich. Wendy's just puts enough toppings on thier burger without it being "too much" to kill the exquisite taste of the meat itself. Plus Wendy's beef seems more like real beef than Burger Kings. It has the same texture as a homemade burger. Thier spicy chicken sandwich and Chili are awesome also.

I agree that MacDonalds is the lowest in terms of quality (well maybe a little higher than say White Castles, but WC is almost in a category all it's own). Oddly enough I get cravings on rare occasions for Micky Dee's and White Castle.

I'd rate them like this: (based strictly on the big three fast food "burger joints" available in my area)

Best = Wendy's
Second Best = Burger King
Third Best = MacDonalds

BTW what's Denny's like? Any good burgers there? Never been to one. To the East Coasters: Is Roy Rogers still in business?
Roy Rogers may still be in some states, but they went belly up years ago in New Jersey (in fact the last remaining one in my area is now a Wendy's). I gotta say they had fabulous burgers and chicken though.

Heh, one of my first jobs when I was like 15 or 16 was as a chicken frier at a Roy Rogers (almost 17 yrs ago). Surprisingly I'd still eat their chicken after that experience

Places I'd like to try include Arby's, Denny's and Popeyes Fried Chicken.

But yeah Wendy's is the best in terms of fast food burgers. I can still make a better burger than any of the above mentionned places I just cooked-up a few tastey ones lastnight.

Mike

[ 04-20-2002: Message edited by: MikeM32 ]

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 20, 2002, 03:18 PM

For everyone on west coast:

I have two votes. 1 is Tommy Burger (L.A. folks, my dad grew up there and made it his mission to take me there a couple times... *drool*) and the 2nd is Juicy Burger.

At Juicy Burger you just tell 'em 1/4 pound, 1/2 pound, 3/4 pound, or 1 pound meat patty, then tell 'em if you want a cheeseburger (and tell 'em how much cheese and what kind), then tell em if you want your burger double (that's right, up to 2 POUNDS of meat.) Then they have a bigass FRESH condements table where you can pile it on all you want.

The BEST onion rings is at Lucky Boy (another in L.A. sigh, too bad I'm about 7 hours from L.A.) And the BEST shoestring fries are located at the Livermore Greyhound Bus Depot (My dad found this by complete accident.)

The BEST fried borrito is at Foster's Freeze along with some pretty decent ripple fries.

For the absolute worst hamburgers, Burger King has my vote.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

oVeRmInD911
Senior User
Apr 20, 2002, 03:25 PM

my favorite burger is from Fuddruckers. I get a one pound burger and load that sucker up with 5 different kinds of hot sauce and so much jalape�os it's surprising that the bun stays on. oh man that is heaven.

btw. the burger king near me is the worst one i've ever been to. i never go there now...

rambo47
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2002, 03:29 PM

Here in New Jersey we have a chain called Fudrukkers that tries to be both a bar/resteraunt and kid's place (side area for parties, play pen, etc.). They do burgers like nobody else and have their own butcher's room with a plate glass window so everyone can see the beef get ground and made into patties.

They've added stuff like taco salads, fish sandwiched, and chicken to their menu, and even buffalo and ostrich burgers, but their real thing is beef.

Typical burgers are 1/3 lb. and 1/2 lb., but recently they added what I call the "Flintstone Burger". This baby is 1 full pound of beef on a bun that measures 8" across! It looks just like any other hamburger bun except it's huge! And the best part about Fudrukkers is that when you order a burger "rare", that's exactly how it comes. I hate places that think they're doing you a favor by grilling your meat (burger or steak) a little extra. "He didn't really want it rare. He meant medium rare." Bastards.

Patrick
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2002, 03:41 PM

Anyone notice the irony of discussing fast food joints in a thread about the "ultimate" burger?

If any food were truly ultimate, it couldn't be mass produced, or at least not in the way fast food places do it. If we're talking quality eats here, you've gotta go to some place that doesn't sacrifice quality for quantity or speed. Not that I never eat fast food, but when I want something truly worth it, I don't go that route.

Local coffee shops, burger joints, and even some restaurant chains (Johnny Rockets, Red Robin, Max's, etc.) are good at making burgers really worth eating. I guess I'm saying to go to a restaurant that actually has a chef, not some kid getting paid minimum wage.

MikeM32
Banned
Location: &quot;Joisey&quot; Home of the &quot;Guido&quot; and chicks with &quot;Big Hair&quot;
Apr 20, 2002, 04:04 PM

Fuddruckers is great, certainly not "fast food" but it's well worth it. I also agree with Patrick here, you want a really good burger you go to a diner or restaurant or basically anywhere a little more "upscale". I mean even places like Applebees or (as mentionned above) Fuddruckers.

Gotta love that name "Fuddruckers"

Mike

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2002, 06:36 PM

<STRONG>In the SF bay area there used to be a joint called Oscar's Burger. Now that was one hell of a fine burger, but I don't know if they're still around.</STRONG>
Yes Oscar's is still around, it's in Berkeley on Shattuck, one block up from the intersection with University (I can't remember the name of the cross street for the life of me.

However, as everyone knows, the ultimate burger is the Bacon Ultimate Cheeseburger from Jack in the Box.

Oh, and my favorite "localized" McD's food would have to be the Japanese's "McFrank Burger".

[ 04-20-2002: Message edited by: nonhuman ]

Cellery
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2002, 06:42 PM

In-N-Out
Fatburger
Famous Daves

I eat at Burger King when the others aren't close by, but refuse to eat at McDonalds because of the unspeakable horrors I saw there as an employee many years ago.

TheJoshu
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2002, 07:02 PM

Here in NYC, the only fast food I will go near is Ranch1.

Of course, they don't sell anything more hazardous than chicken.

But they're fabulous for when you just want something nice and quick without clogging your arteries with tripe.

Demonhood
Administrator
Apr 20, 2002, 07:07 PM

bah, it's all about boca:

MrNo
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 20, 2002, 07:46 PM

The Best burger is a vegeterian one!!![/LIST]

lucylawless
Mac Elite
Location: adrift in a sea of decadent luxury and meaningless sex
Apr 20, 2002, 08:19 PM

Originally posted by Cellery:
<STRONG>In-N-Out
Fatburger
Famous Daves

I eat at Burger King when the others aren't close by, but refuse to eat at McDonalds because of the unspeakable horrors I saw there as an employee many years ago.</STRONG>
I was going to mention FatBurger too. I've only been there twice, once in Vegas and once in LA, and it was unbelievable both times. Furthermore, I haven't been inside McD in like 10 years, and I'll be damned if I'm going there in the next 10. All the other places are acceptable, though Jack is pushing it in my opinion
blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. the X makes it sound cool

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2002, 08:24 PM

Yum.
The server made a boo boo. (403)

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2002, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by Patrick:
<STRONG>Anyone notice the irony of discussing fast food joints in a thread about the "ultimate" burger?

If any food were truly ultimate, it couldn't be mass produced, or at least not in the way fast food places do it. If we're talking quality eats here, you've gotta go to some place that doesn't sacrifice quality for quantity or speed. Not that I never eat fast food, but when I want something truly worth it, I don't go that route.

Local coffee shops, burger joints, and even some restaurant chains (Johnny Rockets, Red Robin, Max's, etc.) are good at making burgers really worth eating. I guess I'm saying to go to a restaurant that actually has a chef, not some kid getting paid minimum wage.</STRONG>
Man, you don't get it. This is about the ultimate thread on burgers, not the ultimate burger. As far as I'm concerned you can talk about almost any burger here. McD is mentioned like a thousand times in this thread, but certainly not because it makes good burgers. You see, at the moment I'm at the end of the world and there's nothing other than a crummy McD which makes me go freakin nuts, that's why I decided to start this thread. Talking about a good burger is better than going to McD.

If you want a gourmet non-fastfood burger, you can come to my place and we'll get to some serious burger business.

Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 20, 2002, 09:17 PM

ask Popeye, he had a friend who loved burgers. Wimpey?
T E K N O

Scrod
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2002, 09:32 PM

I just had myself a Buffalo Joe's buger about ten minutes ago. It was quite good.
I abused my signature until she cried.

ringo
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2002, 11:18 PM

Gotta go to a diner or a restaurant to get a deceent burger around here. The fast food burgers are sh*te. I eat at Arby's sometimes, but try to avoid fast food.

By the way, the best fries are fried in lard. The veggy-oil wanna-be fries most places make just suck.

hayesk
Apr 21, 2002, 01:12 AM

Originally posted by milhous:
<STRONG>In no particular, I think all of the fast food places are pretty good (Mickey D's, BK, Wendys). However one thing I don't like about Wendys is their fries. They are the most mundane fries out there and they are not even salted before they are served.</STRONG>
That's why I like Wendy's fries. They actually taste like potatoes and not deep fried fat. And if I want salt, I'll put salt on them. I like McD's fried too. Everyone else seems to serve those "extra crispy" fries, which are basically extra fat on them - it seems like they are just fries cooked in fat that is not changed often enough - blech!

Although if we're talking just fries, New York Fries got 'em all beat.

boardsurfer
Apr 21, 2002, 01:25 AM

Oh yeah the folks in Oz do things a little differently. First of all, I was fortunate to visit for about a month last year. Every time I ordered fries (chips in Ausie) they never had salt. So about the 3rd or 4th time I asked for salt and the lady freakin drenched em! I could barely eat em.

Second, we went to a footie match with some friends and they packed lunch for us. The sandwiches consisted of egg salad, carrot shavings, and vegemite on toast. &lt;ugghgh&gt;

Third, as far as burgers go, it's got to be In-N-Out. BK, McD, Wendy got nutin on a Double Double!!

BS

Nimisys
Banned
Apr 21, 2002, 02:04 AM

Double - Double Animal style is diffently up there at the top... though i doesn;t compare to the thing that is the Bacon Ultimate Cheeseburger at Jack in the Box. that thing would give a marathon runner a heart attack. nothin but meat and cheese

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 21, 2002, 03:24 AM

Originally posted by �:
<STRONG>ask Popeye, he had a friend who loved burgers. Wimpey?</STRONG>
Better than eating spinach out of can if you ask me...

JoeBruin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 21, 2002, 03:35 AM

Originally posted by Nimisys:
<STRONG>Double - Double Animal style is diffently up there at the top... though i doesn;t compare to the thing that is the Bacon Ultimate Cheeseburger at Jack in the Box.</STRONG>
No other fast food joints deserve to be compared to In-N-Out. THE BEST mass-produced burger on the planet.

But I can make a burger that'll hold it's own with anyone.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 21, 2002, 03:36 AM

Originally posted by MikeM32:
<STRONG>But yeah Wendy's is the best in terms of fast food burgers. I can still make a better burger than any of the above mentionned places I just cooked-up a few tastey ones lastnight.</STRONG>
Wendy's???

I haven't been to a Wendy's in the US in ages but I went to one two weeks ago in Nagoya Japan. I can tell you, that was one hell of crap experience. I took a "Bacon Cheese Melt Set". That was plain horrible. They take a little piece of beef (square not round btw) and melt a huge amount of creamy but tasteless cheese over it. Then they put a miserably small amount of bacon on top and the bread around this thing was like foam. The best part about the whole crap burger was that they put mushrooms in the cheese! Ya know, mushrooms! That was plain disgusting. The fries were fatty as hell and they were cold. Needless to say that the coke sucked as well, because there was like half a drop of coke in the glass after they filled the whole thing with crushed ice.

If that's the same freakin Wendy's you guys talk about, then I really on't get it.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 21, 2002, 03:40 AM

Originally posted by theUpsetter:
<STRONG>
If and when you make it back to San Francisco, just dump the Burger King and go to In-N-Out, the home of the absolute best burgers on the planet. Like for us who live in the bay area (I reside in SF now, despite my profile) they finally opened on Embarcadero and another in the north part of Daily City.</STRONG>
Fine, I just jotted down In-N-Out in my Palm. Next time I'm i the bay area, I'll check out the place.

Thanks for the tip.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 21, 2002, 03:53 AM

Originally posted by lurkalot:
<STRONG>I couldn't understand why you couldn't find a Burger King in Tokyo because I remember that they were there before. Unfortunately the search is over you simply arrived too late. Burger King Japan stopped operating restaurants in 2001.

You may want to sit down before you read this link.</STRONG>
Now that really made my day.

I can't believe this. I'm stuck with one McD for the next three weeks. I'm screwed.

KellyHogan
Banned
Location: The Breakaway Democratic Banana Republic of Jakichanistan.
Apr 21, 2002, 11:23 AM

Home made food is the best and cheap too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules